ADVERTISEMENT

Officials Accountability!

I loved the botched call in the Duke/Virginia game yesterday. Probably the call that solidified the advantage for Duke toward the end. I think there was about 3:30 left. Called a shot clock violation on Virginia as Williamson knocked the call out of bounds when there was clearly about 2 seconds left. Should’ve been Virginia ball with at least 2 seconds left. I was like WTF.

This reads as the first sentence as
I loved the botched call in the Duke/Virginia game yesterday. Probably the call that solidified the advantage for Duke toward the end. I think there was about 3:30 left. Called a shot clock violation on Virginia as Williamson knocked the call out of bounds when there was clearly about 2 seconds left. Should’ve been Virginia ball with at least 2 seconds left. I was like WTF.

Should not have even been a shot clock violation, the ball hit the front of the rim and it just didn’t graze the rim it hit it pretty damn firm from what I could tell.

On a side note, I could not believe Bennet never changed up defenses in the 2nd half. Duke was not hitting anything from the outside and resorted to bullying drives to the goal and bennet stayed man to man the whole time.

Its sad that this is still an issue in 2019. I recall a lack of accountability for officials as a youth watching cbb. It is the single most overlooked issue. They affect EVERY single game no matter the schools, players or coaches and the NCAA refuses to make them accountable for their actions.

I also saw Williamson pancake block another Virginia players going for a loose ball but nothing was called. Why should anyone be surprised?

Its sad that this is still an issue in 2019. I recall a lack of accountability for officials as a youth watching cbb. It is the single most overlooked issue. They affect EVERY single game no matter the schools, players or coaches and the NCAA refuses to make them accountable for their actions.
Officials have too much control over the outcome of the game. For the most part it's a bunch of older, out of shape guys trying to keep up with well-conditioned athletes running the floor. I normally don't complain about the whistle UK gets since it's a given that you're not getting any calls on the road, but the one game that really sticks out is the 1997 title game against Arizona where one literally could to breath on an Arizona player without getting whistled for a foul.

I agree there’s little accountability for refs. However, they do get scored/rated after each game. This goes into determining who officiates Final 4 games. (Not sure if their evaluation impacts who gets early tournament games.) Rarely do I comment about officiating. I was fine with how the game (as a whole) was officiated. But, that last fragrant against PJ should result in the crew having to officiate every NIT game back to back for 3 weeks. They responded to the crowds emotions and to the blood. It almost cost us the game and that game game had NCAA seedings riding on it.

Reactions: sefus12
I agree there’s little accountability for refs. However, they do get scored/rated after each game. This goes into determining who officiates Final 4 games. (Not sure if their evaluation impacts who gets early tournament games.) Rarely do I comment about officiating. I was fine with how the game (as a whole) was officiated. But, that last fragrant against PJ should result in the crew having to officiate every NIT game back to back for 3 weeks. They responded to the crowds emotions and to the blood. It almost cost us the game and that game game had NCAA seedings riding on it.

Scored/rated by whom? Fellow officials? Is the information published? Made public? No?

So is there really accountability?

Higgins was awarded the Final Four in 2017 after the Elite Eight debacle with UNC, so getting a Final Four means absolutely nothing in regards to not being awful at their job.

It was the combination of blood and theatrics that clouded the officials judgment. They were more concerned with the optics than what actually happened.
Auburn’s homecourt crowd provided the mob mentality. With the blood and theatrics as you rightfully stated, the officials went with keeping the mob in check by giving them what they wanted. I agree wit you.

Scored/rated by whom? Fellow officials? Is the information published? Made public? No?

So is there really accountability?

Higgins was awarded the Final Four in 2017 after the Elite Eight debacle with UNC, so getting a Final Four means absolutely nothing in regards to not being awful at their job.
Exactly, it is a fraternity. Higgins getting the F4 after that game was the salt in the wound. And Mitch defended it and the system.

We make players, coaches and even AD's stand in front of a Microphone and explain their reasons for certain actions. They even have to do it after excruciating defeats at times. We're talking about 17-18 year olds that we hold accountable and expect them to keep their emotions in check. You'r going to tell me that grown ass men can't handle standing in front of their peers and explain why they did something? That is the epitome of a snowflake.

If they were made to answer questions after each game, how many "blown" calls would we have?

Grading an official has no impact on the current game and revisionist history allows for justification for a poor performance. How many of us would have our current jobs/positions if we had such a poor rating?

Last edited:
The ONLY thing the officials are accountable for is paying their bookies for the bets they have placed on the games they are calling. If you think most officials are honest, upright citizens who would never bet on their own games then you are living in a dream world.

Reactions: KailuaCat and awf
Here's the dirty little secret about college basketball officiating...or any level of basketball for that matter. A lot of calls are missed. I read a book by John Feinstein on college hoops....can't remember the name, but he devoted a chapter to officials. Interviewed a lot of them and followed them around. One of the best officials in the 90's said "if we get 90% of the calls right, we've had a really good game." So the best officials in the game admit they miss 10% of the calls on a good night. A bad night...well, it's worse than that. Mediocre officials on a bad night...well, you get the picture.

SEC commissioner Sankey was there. I'm sure he will take care of it like he did the UNCheat scandal.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Is it just me or has Sankey been a huge letdown from Slive? SEC commish never meant much, but Slive was always out pumping the conference for bowls and selection Sunday. Sankey just sits on his hands, plays it safe, and lets the cash flow in.

We make players, coaches and even AD's stand in front of a Microphone and explain their reasons for certain actions. They even have to do it after excruciating defeats at times. We're talking about 17-18 year olds that we hold accountable and expect them to keep their emotions in check. You'r going to tell me that grown ass men can't handle standing in front of their piers and explain why they did something? That is the epitome of a snowflake.

If they were made to answer questions after each game, how many "blown" calls would we have?

Grading an official has no impact on the current game and revisionist history allows for justification for a poor performance. How many of us would have our current jobs/positions if we had such a poor rating?

I’d be 100% in favor of the head official (or the whole crew) having a media session after the game.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
Here's the dirty little secret about college basketball officiating...or any level of basketball for that matter. A lot of calls are missed. I read a book by John Feinstein on college hoops....can't remember the name, but he devoted a chapter to officials. Interviewed a lot of them and followed them around. One of the best officials in the 90's said "if we get 90% of the calls right, we've had a really good game." So the best officials in the game admit they miss 10% of the calls on a good night. A bad night...well, it's worse than that. Mediocre officials on a bad night...well, you get the picture.

I can live with missed calls. It’s always been part of the game. All officials will tell you basketball is most difficult sport to officiate because speed of the game and close proximity of the fans. (20k fans never miss a call!)

But, last night wasn’t about a missed call. I’ve already stated I was fine with how game was called. (I usually am.) My complaint is the missed flagrant AFTER going to monitor. It was simply some guys who were more concerned about the mob than they were getting the call right.

The good thing is, it didn’t cost us the game.

The ONLY thing the officials are accountable for is paying their bookies for the bets they have placed on the games they are calling. If you think most officials are honest, upright citizens who would never bet on their own games then you are living in a dream world.
Believing refs in college are clean is like believing the politicians are clean . Most of the them dirty as hell. It is the decent , honest one that is the outlier in either profession.

With modern technology we'd be able to replace almost everything a ref does with cameras and sensors. I'm tired of the "human element" excuse. I want the human element of the game to be the players and not the refs.

Any mistakes that technology makes can be backed up by an official looking at a monitor somewhere. A multi-billion dollar industry shouldn't have such a flawed system to dictate each and every game. The only reason I can see for continuing to hold on to such an antiquated system is to maintain a control of the outcome of games.

Reactions: awf
Believing refs in college are clean is like believing the politicians are clean . Most of the them dirty as hell. It is the decent , honest one that is the outlier in either profession.
If a NBA official can come out and say that games were fixed by officials then it definitely happens in College Basketball. Who was the former NBA official that confessed to this years ago?

Nothing will ever top the no call that cost the Saints a trip to the Superbowl today.
Man, that was bad. How can that be a "no-call"? Officiating in every sport at any level is getting worse.

I cant excuse them missing calls witht he benefit of replay. The PJ flagrant call was simply wrong. They need to explain it.

It's been bad like this for years but it never gets fixed and we all know the NCAA plays favorites so why are we surprised to think that games are fixed? Wisconsin 2015 and UNCheat 2016 come to mind and probably cost us two championships. Everybody knows the NCAA and Cal don't like each other so we all know we will get no favors in the tourney. We always get put in the most difficult bracket and we get hosed on more big calls than any other blue blood.

Last edited:
I can live with missed calls. It’s always been part of the game. All officials will tell you basketball is most difficult sport to officiate because speed of the game and close proximity of the fans. (20k fans never miss a call!)

But, last night wasn’t about a missed call. I’ve already stated I was fine with how game was called. (I usually am.) My complaint is the missed flagrant AFTER going to monitor. It was simply some guys who were more concerned about the mob than they were getting the call right.

The good thing is, it didn’t cost us the game.
Yes, I disagree with the flagrant foul call. If he had hit him on the head and caused the bleeding...a different story.

They should have been able to get that call right since they spent the whole afternoon at the monitors practicing.

It's one thing for an official to miss a call in live action, but when you go to the monitor after looking at several replays and miss the call there has to be some accountability for that!!
Bad
Bad
Bad
NCAA
NFL...May be worst ..New York league's office scripts Super Bowl. ..NEW England same whistle.

Birmingham league office ...Tuscaloosa ..needs some fairness.whistle Dixie
Instant point fixing
Vegas needs pro football.
Instant replay like now games not long enough..

It was obvious that PJ was going for the ball and never came close to hitting him in the head. Apparently the refs were looking at something other than the replay.

I'm so sick of the officials being influenced by the crowd and the coach and pandering to them all day. Something has to be done about it. If that's making officials have to answer to the calls they made after the game, so be it.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Nothing will ever top the no call that cost the Saints a trip to the Superbowl today.

That was one of the worst calls I have ever seen and does anyone believe that if we replaced brees with Brady and the receiver with Edelman that it wouldn’t have been PI?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT