ADVERTISEMENT

Official Steph Curry is GOAT thread

Harden's injured you dummy. And despite that, he's still 2nd in MVP voting.

Curry's night tonight proves everything I've been saying.. He's one of the greatest shooters of all time.. and yet, still kind of a one-dimensional player. He didn't get his first FT until late in the 3rd quarter, and what was it.. like 75% of his points were from 3's? And not for nothing, did you see Draymond's stat line? A 16 assist triple double on 50% shooting with 3 steals and 2 blocks.. Pretty good for such a washed up player.

No one is saying he isn't a great player. He's just not the GOAT, nor is he even near it.

Also, I would think Curry might rest tomorrow, as he has done quite often as of late, plus with a game like this, which was one for the books, a player might be given the day. On the other hand.. still need to win for the playoffs. But it's no given that Curry plays tomorrow.
That’s only the 4th time this season that Draymond has attempted double digit shots. He has 2x as many games where he hasn’t made a single field goal.

He even has one game where he played 27 minutes and didn’t attempt a single shot, not even a free throw. I’m not sure how that is possible in that many minutes in 2021.

I remember the days when teams actually had to show at least a slight bit of respect to him as a shooter and #3 or #4 scorer. Now at below 27% on threes and barely over 40% overall, teams will gladly let him shoot.

Last edited:
What now? Another 11 threes for Steph; another 25 point quarter. He got 42 points on 14-20 shooting and 11-16 threes (including six straight threes) in three quarters! That's 29-49 from the three in the last three games. I know OKC is tanking (If I didn't know SGA, I would be hard-pressed to name three players on OKC's active roster), and didn't play any defense, but Steph is on a roll that we've never seen before. I have to ask, will he get to 50-45-90? Cleveland is another bad defensive team; he might get 60 if the game is close enough. What's Harden doing?
That is nice. Is he going to even be in the playoffs? Well now that they expanded, 67% of the teams being in, some sort of last 4 worst teams playing scenario then yeah. He is good. Not good enough to make any difference that matters....

You are arguing him being the goat? Why exactly? Just for hits on This thread? Cool for boredom. But come on. Lol.

That’s only the 4th time this season that Draymond has attempted double digit shots. He has 2x as many games where he hasn’t made a single field goal.

He even has one game where he played 27 minutes and didn’t attempt a single shot, not even a free throw. I’m not sure how that is possible in that many minutes in 2021.

I remember the days when teams actually had to show at least a slight bit of respect to him as a shooter and #3 or #4 scorer. Now at below 27% on threes and barely over 40% overall, teams will gladly let him shoot.

I mean, of course he's not what he once was. IDK what's going on with his FGA, but he almost seems fine with this role. But the dude is still one of the top60 to 80 players in the league.. and he's probably one of the top guys a guard wants to play with. He's one of the more unique players in the league and that makes him tough to game plan.

He fed Curry like 7 of those 3 pointers. There's no question he's a great asset to Curry..

Regardless of any of this. I still think Draymond/Wiggins/Oubre/Wiseman are a better cast than CP3/Capela/Gordon or Westbrook/Gordon.. Do you disagree?

I mean, of course he's not what he once was. IDK what's going on with his FGA, but he almost seems fine with this role. But the dude is still one of the top60 to 80 players in the league.. and he's probably one of the top guys a guard wants to play with. He's one of the more unique players in the league and that makes him tough to game plan.

He fed Curry like 7 of those 3 pointers. There's no question he's a great asset to Curry..

Regardless of any of this. I still think Draymond/Wiggins/Oubre/Wiseman are a better cast than CP3/Capela/Gordon or Westbrook/Gordon.. Do you disagree?
One cast contains Draymond Green and a collection of mediocre players at best.

Another cast includes one of the best players for over a decade along with one of the best finishers and offensive rebounders at the 5.

I wonder, which cast is better?

Reactions: UKcats1988
One cast contains Draymond Green and a collection of mediocre players at best.

Another cast includes one of the best players for over a decade along with one of the best finishers and offensive rebounders at the 5.

I wonder, which cast is better?

how is this even a question?

Yea, I disagree and so would any sane person who pays attention to the nba

Reactions: wildcatsboston1984
Wiggins and Oubre are mediocre players?

Who watches the NBA, again?

While Westbrook/CP3 are outright better talents than Draymond (and then maybe some), they weren't great fits with Harden, a player who demanded the ball, so the last thing he really needed was another elite guard.. It worked well enough with CP3 (until it didn't), not so much with Westbrook.

After Capela, the rockets talent those years starts to fall off drastically. Gordon had a bit of a resurgence.. meh. PJ Tucker? Austin Rivers, Ryan Anderson, Daniel House? These were at times Houston's 3rd and 4th options.

This years GSW team was more talented than the small ball Westbrook team for certain.

AND STILL.. even IF you think Houston had marginally better talent than this years GSW team... Harden took his guys to the WCFs... Curry has GSW in 10th/9th..

Wiggins and Oubre are mediocre players?

Who watches the NBA, again?

While Westbrook/CP3 are outright better talents than Draymond (and then maybe some), they weren't great fits with Harden, a player who demanded the ball, so the last thing he really needed was another elite guard.. It worked well enough with CP3 (until it didn't), not so much with Westbrook.

After Capela, the rockets talent those years starts to fall off drastically. Gordon had a bit of a resurgence.. meh. PJ Tucker? Austin Rivers, Ryan Anderson, Daniel House? These were at times Houston's 3rd and 4th options.

This years GSW team was more talented than the small ball Westbrook team for certain.

AND STILL.. even IF you think Houston had marginally better talent than this years GSW team... Harden took his guys to the WCFs... Curry has GSW in 10th/9th..
So wait, let me get this straight, Harden can't get guys like CP3 and Westbrook to play alongside him so he gets a pass? But Curry can play with anyone, and still put up ungodly numbers and he gets raked over the coals? I mean Jordan Poole, Juan Tuscano Anderson, Kelly Oubre, Andrew Wiggins, James Wiseman, Kevon Loney is better than the Rockets you just named? [roll]. Did you forget that Westbrook averaged a triple double and has been to multiple all-star games? It's OK, Curry's gonna drop 60 tonight, with a possible three-point record tonight. Did Harden ever do a 50-40-90? Harden is great at putting up stats, but give me Curry 10000%.

So wait, let me get this straight, Harden can't get guys like CP3 and Westbrook to play alongside him so he gets a pass? But Curry can play with anyone, and still put up ungodly numbers and he gets raked over the coals? I mean Jordan Poole, Juan Tuscano Anderson, Kelly Oubre, Andrew Wiggins, James Wiseman, Kevon Loney is better than the Rockets you just named? [roll]. Did you forget that Westbrook averaged a triple double and has been to multiple all-star games? It's OK, Curry's gonna drop 60 tonight, with a possible three-point record tonight. Did Harden ever do a 50-40-90? Harden is great at putting up stats, but give me Curry 10000%.

What do you mean he "can't".. He went to the WCF twice with CP3.. and still put up a .600 win season and playoffs with Westbrook. Now, I'll say this.. Hardens time on Houston soured. Part on the organization, part on CP3, and certainly part on Harden himself. But that's what losing does. Look at him now, an entirely fresh look on Brooklyn.

When has Curry showed he can "play with anyone"? He's been on the same team, with two of the NBAs top50 talents, together, for close to a decade. He isn't switching teams or getting traded. He wasn't playing with new guys every 2 years, aside from the bench. Talk about riding a wave of riches.

Westbrook and CP3, while tremendous talents, never complimented Harden well, at least not as well as a PG and a Big do. I will concede this, I think those rockets rosters ISOLATED.. likely win more games than this Dray/Oubre/Wiggins team (But it's close, and mainly because this current GSW team wouldn't have a PG). But that doesn't mean Harden had the better "team" around him.

Put another way.. Harden and Curry are absolutely picking Dray/Wiggins/Oubre/Bench over Cp3/Capela/Bench, and 1000% over Westbrook/bench. GoldenState is built better. Houston teams were built lopsided.

Yeah I'd rather have CP3/Capela/Gordon. CP3 is an all-time great and Capela is a really good center. Gordon, before he became trash last year, was a good shooter and scorer. He ended up becoming a bit of a one-trick pony as a shooter playing alongside CP3/Harden/Westbrook because those other three are better at the other parts of his game than he was, but he had more game than that.

IF you tell me which cast you'd rather have and you put an all-time great in it, my answer is almost always going to be the one with an all-time great in it. In fact, the cast Harden had would have fit Curry better than it did Harden, though Dray could have been a really nice five for Houston.

Westbrook was a bad fit alongside Harden but would be a better fit with Curry since Curry is far more content with playing off ball than Harden is.

Last edited:
I will admit to being surprised how well the Brooklyn trio of Durant, Kyrie, and Harden have played together, though it has been limited because of one of them seemingly always missing a game. But Harden seems happy to not be shooting the ball a million times and acting more like a true point when he has one of the other two in the game.

He said for years in Houston that he didn't want to have to shoot that much but I don't think Houston ever gave him guys he felt were equal or superior to him as a scorer so he felt like he had to be the man. Which to be fair to him is true, but I thought he could have done a better job balancing the load. I also wasn't expecting Kyrie to be happy with being taken off the ball as much as he has when Harden is on the court. Credit to Steve Nash and his staff for pushing all the right buttons balancing that out.

Yeah I'd rather have CP3/Capela/Gordon. CP3 is an all-time great and Capela is a really good center. Gordon, before he became trash last year, was a good shooter and scorer. He ended up becoming a bit of a one-trick pony as a shooter playing alongside CP3/Harden/Westbrook because those other three are better at the other parts of his game than he was, but he had more game than that.

IF you tell me which cast you'd rather have and you put an all-time great in it, my answer is almost always going to be the one with an all-time great in it. In fact, the cast Harden had would have fit Curry better than it did Harden, though Dray could have been a really nice five for Houston.

Westbrook was a bad fit alongside Harden but would be a better fit with Curry since Curry is far more content with playing off ball than Harden is.

IDK if I would. I still think Dray & Co is a much better fit for guys like Harden/Curry, even if that team might not be as talented on paper. Not sure I'd say Capela is a "really good center". If he is, we have to apply that to Draymond as a 4/5 as well who should also be considered "really good". The wrench in this debate is that we're thinking of Draymond and Clint as they are today. Sure Draymond is in his decline.. but Capela also got better since 17/18. .

And I'm sure you know this, but just to point out because of the wording.. Harden, CP3 and Westbrook never played together. I think some in this thread still lump them together because it was so close in time.

In regards to Gordon, again, I go back to the fit. Sure, he was a great talent who was derailed by injuries in his early career. But his contributions were diminished playing with CP3 and Harden. I mean, you look at Westbrook.. his stats took a huge hit playing alongside another guard, similar to him.

In all of this, the point I'm making is that Curry doesn't have THAT much worse of a team by any stretch, then what Harden had. We never even talked about 16/17 season, before CP3, still finished 3rd with a .670 win percentage.

IDK if I would. I still think Dray & Co is a much better fit for guys like Harden/Curry, even if that team might not be as talented on paper. Not sure I'd say Capela is a "really good center". If he is, we have to apply that to Draymond as a 4/5 as well who should also be considered "really good". The wrench in this debate is that we're thinking of Draymond and Clint as they are today. Sure Draymond is in his decline.. but Capela also got better since 17/18. .

And I'm sure you know this, but just to point out because of the wording.. Harden, CP3 and Westbrook never played together. I think some in this thread still lump them together because it was so close in time.

In regards to Gordon, again, I go back to the fit. Sure, he was a great talent who was derailed by injuries in his early career. But his contributions were diminished playing with CP3 and Harden. I mean, you look at Westbrook.. his stats took a huge hit playing alongside another guard, similar to him.

In all of this, the point I'm making is that Curry doesn't have THAT much worse of a team by any stretch, then what Harden had. We never even talked about 16/17 season, before CP3, still finished 3rd with a .670 win percentage.
That 16/17 team wasn't top heavy but it was deep with experience role players going by their playoff rotation. Eric Gordon, Lou Williams, Ryan Anderson, Clint Capela, Trevor Ariza, Pat Beverly, and Nene is a really good way to fill out a roster if you can't get another star. Clint Capela the only one in that playoff rotation that you wouldn't be able to classify as a veteran, he was 22 while everyone else was at least 27. Shooters all over the place and quite a few plus defenders. Most of them also had experience contributing to winning teams prior to their time in Houston as well. That team also had Montrezl Harrell and he only played in 21 minutes in the playoffs after 9.1 a game on 65% shooting in the regular season.

7 of the 8 players in their playoff rotation averaged at least 10 points a game and the 8th one came in at 9.4.

Last edited:
That 2016-17 Rockets squad was significantly more experienced as well, both in total years played and amount of years having played in the playoffs.

If you only include players who have played in at least 2% of the team's minutes played, which effectively includes everyone in the rotation, the weighted experience (meaning players with more minutes factor in more heavily) is 4.92 years per player. For that 2016-17 Rockets team it was 6.82. A player who was a rookie had 0 years of experience, a second year player had one, etc.

Though that 2% mark does throw things a bit out of whack for Golden State because their rotation changes a lot game to game so they have 14 players with at least 2% of team minutes played. If you cut them both off at 11, Golden State is 4.84 and Houston 6.82.

Now if we go playoff experience, on the other hand, I'll only give a player a year of experience for the years they played in the playoffs...
For top 11 players by minutes played: GS 2.45, Houston 4.05
For all players with 2% minutes played: GS 2.45, Houston 4.05

That's great and all.. a lot of experienced players.. but a lot of them were journeymen and towards the end of their careers. Sure nice to have them, on the bench. Anderson was not good. And then like you said Capela was new, Harrell was new. That squad may have won the battle of the benches.. but none of those players, at that time, were on the level of a Wiggins or Dray or maybe even Oubre. Instead of having a few 7-8 guys.. they made up for it with a lot of 5 and 6 guys.

A hell of a lot of shooters, though. But it's pretty clear how badly Harden outmatched the talent of the rest of the team. He led them in Points, Rebounds and Assists.

Last edited:
It's OK, Curry's gonna drop 60 tonight,

with a possible three-point record tonight.

Cleveland will probably throw the game,

I look for Curry to have his THIRD STRAIGHT double-digit three game,

and another 40 point (he's gonna get 60) night.

giphy.gif

LineSki can't stand this, but another 11 threes for Steph; that is 44 threes in the last five games (in 81 attempts), and he is shooting 56% in the month of April. This is the definition of carrying his team on his back. Even with a rolled ankle, he still dropped 47 points tonight. Too bad, the rest of his team is trash. 10 games in a row with 30 points; this train is not stopping. Hopefully he'll play Monday; if he does, I look for more of the same. Do you understand that we've never seen such greatness before, especially with shooting? I'm a little worried, though, because it seems that everyone on the Warriors is getting hurt (that's what you get when you try to cram a bunch of games in). Steph is better than......everybody.

Steph speaks truth; he can drop 60 on EVERYBODY

You never showed up the other night, right above.. when you made those terribly dumb predictions. Never address me on this again. I have zero interest in debating this if someone can't come in and take their lumps. Pathetic.

You never showed up the other night, right above.. when you made those terribly dumb predictions. Never address me on this again. I have zero interest in debating this if someone can't come in and take their lumps. Pathetic.

This really does hurt your feelings. So Steph didn't do as I predicted; was what I predicted crazy? Yes, but is Steph capable of crazy? Indeed. So I was wrong the other night, it happens; I'm sure your predictions are just perfect. Whether I predicted correctly or not, my point still stands.

This really does hurt your feelings. So Steph didn't do as I predicted; was what I predicted crazy? Yes, but is Steph capable of crazy? Indeed. So I was wrong the other night, it happens; I'm sure your predictions are just perfect. Whether I predicted correctly or not, my point still stands.

I would never predict Harden to just walk into a 60 point game lol.

But then again, I dont have an obsession with Harden. He doesn't play for Houston anymore.

You were dumb to make those predictions.

49 more points on 10-17 shooting from 3 in a win over the Sixers tonight.

LineSki is an idiot.

10-17 from 3 tonight... his 6th time this season... I can't stand the warriors especially green, but Stephen curry is the best shooter in nba history.

For 2020-21, Curry is 25th in the NBA in assists per game. Not exactly what you want from your PG. He is an all time great shooter but is not an elite defender or passer. He is not GOAT by a large margin. Give me Jordan, LeBron, Kareem, Wilt, Kobe or Oscar Robinson. Those are complete players worthy of GOAT discussion.

Last edited:
10-17 from 3 tonight... his 6th time this season... I can't stand the warriors especially green, but Stephen curry is the best shooter in nba history.

Steph is MVP in my estimation; he probably won't win because his team is trash, but he is far and above the best player right now. Of course, if AD and Lebron are healthy, the Lakers are winning again.

Most games with 10+ threes in a game:

1. Steph Curry - 21
2. Steph Curry this season - 6
3. Klay Thompson - 5
4. Steph Curry in less than one week (Denver game started at 10 PM last Monday) 4

There are some emotions in this thread, if you know what I mean. I made a crazy prediction, but hey, he's come close in almost every other game (40+ points, 10+ threes). Can't wait to see what he's gonna do against Beal and Co.

For 2020-21, Curry is 25th in the NBA in assists per game. Not exactly what you want from your PG. He is an all time great shooter but is not an elite defender or passer. He is not GOAT by a large margin. Give me Jordan, LeBron, Kareem, Wilt, Kobe or Oscar Robinson. Those are complete players worthy of GOAT discussion.
[roll][roll][roll]

Oscar Robinson was pretty good, but he was no Michael Jackson or LeBron Jones.

Yikes, Steph.

You realize that the "Steph Haters" dont come here after every single "off" game he has, right? 1. Because all the greats have off games and thats all this was. 2. We aren't obsessed with every thing he does. There's a reason this thread was dormant before April.

A 2-14 game tells me nothing more than a 60pt game. Neither are the norm for him

The Curry fans are weird. Lebron's greatness never garnered this much attention here and blind support, and I'm going back nearly a decade here. Don't really get the infatuation with him outside of his great shooting skills.

One thing that helps Curry's case for MVP is that like 2/3rds of all the star players are injured right now. Harden, AD, Lebron, Klay, Trae, Murray, KD.. plus several others are in and out, banged up. So he's got all the spotlight right now. If he can get his team into the playoffs and on a run, he might be able to do it.

I have tried to keep quiet; I am not obsessed with Steph. I am obsessed with historical greatness. Steph has hit 10+ threes five times since April 12. In four of those games, he has hit 11 or more threes. He has 134 threes in the last 20 games. He should win MVP, as the rest of his team is garbage.

Last four first quarters - 67 points
Last four third quarters - 65 points (88 in last five - 23 threes)

He had two 20+ point quarters tonight. Only Wilt could perhaps lay claim to these types of numbers. We will never witness such greatness in terms of shooting again.

Steph took an absurd 21 threes in 29 minutes tonight against the Thunder.

Steph is the best shooter in NBA history no question. Best player of all time though? Lol no. He will probably go down as a top 15 or 20 player of all time based on his shooting. But hes not the GOAT. Hes one dimensional even though he is unbelievably good at it.

Reactions: DSmith21
Steph is also destroying the narrative that he isn't clutch. The MVP hit a clutch three to beat the number one team in the NBA. Steph will carry them against the Suns tonight too. Don't be surprised to see the Warriors in the WCF this year. They could even win it all if the stars align (everyone seems to be hurt/not healthy).

GS barely beat a Utah team that was without its two starting guards (Mitchell and Conley). Steph was 3-13 from three point range. Hardly a great performance from him. Joker is MVP hands down. Steph isn't even in second place.

Joker: 26.4 PPG, 10.8 RPG, 8.5 APG, 1.4 SPG, 0.7 BPG, 56.6% FG%
Steph: 31.9 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 5.7 APG, 1.2 SPG, 0.1 BPG,, 48.8% FG%

Steph scores more points but Joker does everything else better. Assists stand out as F/C Joker is a better play maker than PG Curry. Defensive stats also heavily favor Joker.

Last edited:
Reactions: J_Dee
Steph closing it out Mamba-style. Close game? Let me get 33 in the second half. Close game in the fourth? Let me hit three threes in a row to put the kids to bed. Got 7 rebounds and 9 assists a steal and block. Steph showed the total package tonight. Warriors could win it all thanks to one Steph Curry. GOAT and he showed us another reason why. Don’t forget, he has the two highest RAPTOR/WAR scores in the last eight years, and won the scoring title again. Does Jokic close it out like Steph? (Answer, NO). Steph is just on another level, just like Tom Brady in the NFL.

Steph was great tonight, but his team wasn't. I think he makes it to the WCF and loses to Lakers in 7, while breaking the record for most points in a seven game series. Steph gonna drop 60+ on Grizzlies.

ADVERTISEMENT