ADVERTISEMENT

********OFFICIAL GAME THREAD********

Aike you know how I feel about what you are doing and who you are as a poster. The issue I have is this team cannot keep turning it on and off. They cannot decide how they are going to play and when they are not. They have to play one way, hard. A scuzz of a team comes into Rupp and how many points were scored before UK scored? That is ridiculous. Cal not stopping it quicker was ridiculous.

Notice, I am not talking about the outcome. I am and always will be of the adage; "Do what it takes to make the money and the money will come..." I don't look at the outcome, I look at are you doing the right thing(s)...this team is not. (Yeah, one or two aspects are getting better but you cannot have the floor fall in from the other things the team was doing better previously. The team and Cal are not doing the right things...(I will stop...)

We just see it differently. I think it was easy to pick out problems tonight, but it wasn’t bad across the board.

A big part of the problem, one a lot of people don’t want to talk about, is that ATM was only whistled for 2 fouls the first 12 minutes of the second half. They were already in the bonus though.

We also made a lot of poor entry passes, trying to force the ball into the post.

I thought we looked more like a frustrated team than a team that didn’t care. And ultimately, we closed it out the way we needed to. Peace.

Reactions: fatguy87 and BBUK
You love to point out when anyone else says something incorrect. Don’t like it when someone does it to you. Hmm....

Had already edited the post, brainiac. Your agenda couldn’t be any more obvious.

I didn’t think it was a total lack of effort. But there were some rough spots.
Really not trying to pick a fight but I'm siding with BBUK on this. IMHO rebounding and defending are primarily effort exercises. Quickness, jumping ability and knowing where you're supposed to be on the court obviously play a part as well.

We just see it differently. I think it was easy to pick out problems tonight, but it wasn’t bad across the board.

A big part of the problem, one a lot of people don’t want to talk about, is that ATM was only whistled for 2 fouls the first 12 minutes of the second half. They were already in the bonus though.

We also made a lot of poor entry passes, trying to force the ball into the post.

I thought we looked more like a frustrated team than a team that didn’t care. And ultimately, we closed it out the way we needed to. Peace.

Yeah, I'm the first to admit I don't know the intricacies of basketball. I just look at the play and effort or at least the attempts. We are good. Thanks

Reactions: Aike
Really not trying to pick a fight but I'm siding with BBUK on this. IMHO rebounding and defending are primarily effort exercises. Quickness, jumping ability and knowing where you're supposed to be on the court obviously play a part as well.

Oh H_LL no, don't pit me against Aike, I agree with him too. I am coming from my un-basketball expertise. I am only looking at the capabilities versus the effort. I have seen the way this team can play. I don't at all disagree with Aike's take... Can't fault you either (In this instance...:rolleyes:)

Reactions: jameslee32 and Aike

I’m not even trying to pretend like that was our best effort. I gave us a C-. Certain players deserve worse grades than that. Others were pretty good.

I feel like some of you guys are grading it Pass/Fail. That’s your prerogative, of course.

The efficiency numbers are weighted based on SOS. We’ve mostly been pretty good the past few weeks. Tonight we weren’t great. But I’ve seen worse.
I did not know that. But I think we've regressed the past 2 games and every loss there have been glaring defensive issues. However we seem to have enough scorers on offense to always get back into games. Very typical of a Cal coached team.

I’m not even trying to pretend like that was our best effort. I gave us a C-. Certain players deserve worse grades than that. Others were pretty good.

I feel like some of you guys are grading it Pass/Fail. That’s your prerogative, of course.
Perhaps.

I sure do wish someone would have pecker-checked both PJ and RT. I wouldn't have cared if it was from a UK player. Those dudes cannot pout. Today it seemed they were.

Reactions: JFCats22 and Aike
I did not know that. But I think we've regressed the past 2 games and every loss there have been glaring defensive issues. However we seem to have enough scorers on offense to always get back into games. Very typical of a Cal coached team.

To be honest, I wish I could at least act like I was going to pecker-check Cal. That guy has GOT to wake up.

To be honest, I wish I could at least act like I was going to pecker-check Cal. That guy has GOT to wake up.
You lost me but unfortunately I have ignored some posters for the first time this year and I ain't checking anyone's pecker brother!

I sure do wish someone would have pecker-checked both PJ and RT. I wouldn't have cared if it was from a UK player. Those dudes cannot pout. Today it seemed they were.

Something else that nobody has mentioned was the quick turnaround. Flying back from Lexington, I’m guessing one practice and a shoot around before the game. Maybe more practices since school has been out, but I’m guessing not much fun.

Been a while since we’ve had a turnaround like that. Might have contributed to the hangover effect.

I agree that PJ and RT need to get their heads on straight. If you noticed, ATM went right at RT to start the game just like Bama did. Everyone is going to do the same thing until we get that straightened out.

Reactions: jameslee32
You lost me but unfortunately I have ignored some posters for the first time this year and I ain't checking anyone's pecker brother!

I'd do it to cal if it would wake him up. (At least I'd scare him like I was going to.. that may be enough.) Where is Ole M. Teague when you need him...

Something else that nobody has mentioned was the quick turnaround. Flying back from Lexington, I’m guessing one practice and a shoot around before the game. Maybe more practices since school has been out, but I’m guessing not much fun.

Been a while since we’ve had a turnaround like that. Might have contributed to the hangover effect.

I agree that PJ and RT need to get their heads on straight. If you noticed, ATM went right at RT to start the game just like Bama did. Everyone is going to do the same thing until we get that straightened out.

TBH, I think CD got a hold of him...

I'd do it to cal if it would wake him up. (At least I'd scare him like I was going to.. that may be enough.) Where is Ole M. Teague when you need him...
He plays the guys he needs to make a run in March knowing full well they weren't playing as well as the guys off the bench tonight. Basically admitted it on the postgame. Does it every year. Can argue with the results. They usually get it eventually.

He plays the guys he needs to make a run in March knowing full well they weren't playing as well as the guys off the bench tonight. Basically admitted it on the postgame. Does it every year. Can argue with the results. They usually get it eventually.

I hope, it just doesn't smell right. (Yeah, I showered...)

I hope, it just doesn't smell right. (Yeah, I showered...)
It's a very fair criticism but the numbnuts questioning his ability as a HOF coach are basically stoopid. And you know it when they can't possibly imagine a better one to replace him.

It's a very fair criticism but the numbnuts questioning his ability as a HOF coach are basically stoopid. And you know it when they can't possibly imagine a better one to replace him.

Cal's the coach I want, no questions but I sure wouldn't mind waking him up a bit with at least a well placed attempt at a pecker-check... Dude has to get with it and make one of his "tweaks" to himself...(He isn't off by much but he is off...)

Cal's the coach I want, no questions but I sure wouldn't mind waking him up a bit with at least a well placed attempt at a pecker-check... Dude has to get with it and make one of his "tweaks" to himself...(He isn't off by much but he is off...)
giphy.gif

Lack of focused upperclassmen who can lead. PJ, Richards, Wenyen, Lee.. Hump and Matthews transferred early..

Far cry from Patterson, Miller, Liggins, Dom, Ulis, WCS.. Even Poythree who slept walked for most of his career.. Still was somewhat of a rock to lean on.

Last few years its started to become a bit of a free for all.
Reid Travis is the rock LineSki. He has to play well for us to look right. That's the 3rd leg we need to stand on as a team. We have to give him help defense in the post and find him on the low block. No threes. Rebounding is a priority. He's good at it often.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Reid Travis is the rock LineSki. He has to play well for us to look right. That's the 3rd leg we need to stand on as a team. We have to give him help defense in the post and find him on the low block. No threes. Rebounding is a priority. He's good at it often.

PJ better get it in gear then.

We must lead the nation in offensive fouls.

Exactly what I was thinking. Is that stat kept at all? We have to be pretty high up there. 3 offensive fouls out of the 2nd half at Bama, and 3 starting the game tonight.

I think part of it is our "offense". It does not lead to good shots at all. That weave gets the ball to guys going away from the basket, and there is always someone right on their hip. Hagans is starting to penetrate and find open guys, but not enough. We just don't have anything resembling an offense designed to get good shots.

Reactions: BBUK
I just looked at our sec schedule again. Good god it’s brutal. We play the other top 4 teams in the league twice each. Tennessee will probably be favored in both games.

Basically there are 4 other teams besides us in or around kenpom top 25 and we have 8 games against them. That’s absurd. This is trending towards a double digit loss season.

Exactly what I was thinking. Is that stat kept at all? We have to be pretty high up there. 3 offensive fouls out of the 2nd half at Bama, and 3 starting the game tonight.

I think part of it is our "offense". It does not lead to good shots at all. That weave gets the ball to guys going away from the basket, and there is always someone right on their hip. Hagans is starting to penetrate and find open guys, but not enough. We just don't have anything resembling an offense designed to get good shots.
Yes, as a matter of fact it is a stat that is kept. I recall reading an article about 3-4 years ago that after about 3/4 of the season, UK had been called for something like 86 offensive fouls to about 12 for opposing teams. If I can find it I'll post it for you.

May be true, but he has to play within himself. It is a little alarming over the last few games.. Travis is trying to do too much. And while he could use help down low, you can't play him and Richards at the same time.

ADVERTISEMENT