ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Line

Pelosigalore

Junior
Jan 31, 2017
Great win yesterday, but what can the staff do about the OL? Is it talent or skill or coaching or scheme? I know it’s also that the SEC defenses have a lot of studs going against them. The TEs don’t seem to help much in pass blocking either.

Reactions: chevyman 50
Great win yesterday, but what can the staff do about the OL? Is it talent or skill or coaching or scheme? I know it’s also that the SEC defenses have a lot of studs going against them. The TEs don’t seem to help much in pass blocking either.
A couple times it was lapses in judgement. One of the sacks, an OM LB sat back and ran in when we unnecessarily doubled their tackle. No awareness on that one. It's tough, but offense is still showing signs of life.

A lot of our ills could get fixed if Brock learns to throw the ball away quicker. Dude holds onto it sometimes like a hoarder.

Can't have an OL just step out of the way and let a LB have straight shot to QB, though. That's a coachable moment. Didn't really try running right at the defense much yesterday and that surprised me. Thought we'd go straight at them more, especially as TOP became a factor. We gained 350 yards, didn't kill our drives with dumb penalties for the most part, no TOs - pretty clean game overall. OL held their own against a defense that will turn out to be pretty good.

A couple times it was lapses in judgement. One of the sacks, an OM LB sat back and ran in when we unnecessarily doubled their tackle. No awareness on that one. It's tough, but offense is still showing signs of life.

A lot of our ills could get fixed if Brock learns to throw the ball away quicker. Dude holds onto it sometimes like a hoarder.
I also think it would help to have a TE/RB block then release. A lot of time when LB drop or blitz, the dump off is wide open for a TE/RB. Even if it only produces 5 yards! It makes a defense cover and rush differently if you use there aggression against them!

Reactions: gamecockcat
I feel like we’re slowly improving.

I don’t want to blame Jager, but I feel like we’re better without him.

We're absolutely better without him. Once or twice a game jager just gets physically dominated. Thats on top of his mental mistakes. Ray is much better.

The OL isnt nearly as bad on pass pro as fans think. The vast majority of them are on the qb. I can quickly think of 4 sacks yesterday that was on qb and fans online all blamed it on the ol.

2 times brock ran right to the spy then tried to retreat when he realized his error.

Another time rt did his job by pushing the de high. Instead of stepping up, brock tried to escape left. Was chased down. Qb is taught to step up. Levis caused so many sacks making this same basic mistake.

Final one, brock pumped the ball 3 times. There will never be a time in the sec where you can pump thr ball 3 times and expect anything other than a sack. This was maybe a design and if so is on the oc.

The one thing I want clarified about the BBW days is when exactly we're we good at pass blocking? From Stevie to Terry to will, we never could hold blocks for long against SEC lineman (at least no better than yesterday). The difference for better or worse was that we embraced that smash mouth wear em out mentality and backed it up with runners like Benny, Chris, boom, and their auxiliary crew. Wore people out and eventually opened up play actions and deep balls we hit from time to time due to teams not being able to stop the run. Even in the old days, every time we tried to play differently and drop back and pass it from the get go, our famed wall was getting beat by sec lines because that is what sec lines do to everyone except Georgia Alabama and Tennessee.

I'd argue currently line performance isn't much different than even Levis' first year until now, back then we just had a slightly better qb who used his legs very well at times and better RB room.

We would need a multi year recruiting and portal based retooling with a much bigger NIL spend before our qbs got the time like to make 4-5 second progressions.

Reactions: K_TIME
The OL is improving. No doubt. Opposing defense can afford to be aggressive with them, and Hamden does NOTHING to help them out. No misdirection at all to stop the aggression of the pass rush. A shovel pass behind the LOS would burn that type of 5-6 guys rushing on passing downs.

The OL was terrible yesterday the QB in many cases did not have time to pass while OM QB in some cases seem to have all day. Great win yesterday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT