ADVERTISEMENT

Of Course Bennie's Not in Top 50

TheBlueMax

Junior
Jan 1, 2003
Kentucky
As referenced today on KSR and seen tonight on ESPN's top 50 college football players, no Bennie Snell. He's not there because he plays for Kentucky. He's not there because we have arguably the least amount of football tradition of any major conference school, and not just in the last 10-15 years, how about since the dawn of football time. Players on teams with no viable tradition get no respect. Let me repeat that strong assertion: UK has the least amount of tradition of any major conference school (I know some of you immediately think Vanderbilt--isn't that pitiful too, that Vandy comes instantly to mind, that we would argue over whether we or they have the better tradition in football). I also think strongly that we are a cursed program--one of the very worst, akin to the Cubs in baseball...if things can go wrong, they will...in a big way.

I've watched closely just about every season since we played in Stoll Field. Sampling enough. We are in the discussion as the worst or very close to the worst major college team in that span, almost devoid of any perceptible football tradition. How about this nugget: you have to go all the way back to 1977 (my senior year at UK) to find the best team since then until now, and it's not even close to any other team. That's monumentally sad.

OK, all that said, now that we know the true reason why ESPN doesn't think highly of Bennie Snell when we do, I have to say this. I don't need any more hyperbole about recruiting. I don't need to hear anymore about "sleepers" having good summers and being ready to contribute. I don't need to hear peoples' predictions about how good we can be or how our guys now look more ready to compete in the SEC. I'm no longer interested in hearing any of that junk. What's more important now, after suffering through over a half century of football futility, is that we WIN games. All I care about now is one thing and one thing only: winning. Everything else is rubbish. It's time now for this coach and this team to win games, and time to find a way to build some tradition. Do I think it will happen? Do you think it will happen?

As referenced today on KSR and seen tonight on ESPN's top 50 college football players, no Bennie Snell. He's not there because he plays for Kentucky. He's not there because we have arguably the least amount of football tradition of any major conference school, and not just in the last 10-15 years, how about since the dawn of football time. Players on teams with no viable tradition get no respect. Let me repeat that strong assertion: UK has the least amount of tradition of any major conference school (I know some of you immediately think Vanderbilt--isn't that pitiful too, that Vandy comes instantly to mind, that we would argue over whether we or they have the better tradition in football). I also think strongly that we are a cursed program--one of the very worst, akin to the Cubs in baseball...if things can go wrong, they will...in a big way.

I've watched closely just about every season since we played in Stoll Field. Sampling enough. We are in the discussion as the worst or very close to the worst major college team in that span, almost devoid of any perceptible football tradition. How about this nugget: you have to go all the way back to 1977 (my senior year at UK) to find the best team since then until now, and it's not even close to any other team. That's monumentally sad.

OK, all that said, now that we know the true reason why ESPN doesn't think highly of Bennie Snell when we do, I have to say this. I don't need any more hyperbole about recruiting. I don't need to hear anymore about "sleepers" having good summers and being ready to contribute. I don't need to hear peoples' predictions about how good we can be or how our guys now look more ready to compete in the SEC. I'm no longer interested in hearing any of that junk. What's more important now, after suffering through over a half century of football futility, is that we WIN games. All I care about now is one thing and one thing only: winning. Everything else is rubbish. It's time now for this coach and this team to win games, and time to find a way to build some tradition. Do I think it will happen? Do you think it will happen?
Yea I think we win 8 minimum. In saying that did you hear about mcall lol

I agree I want to see some winning. I’m sick of settling for mediocrity but to say UK football has no tradition is to ignore that perhaps the alltime greatest coach was at the helm for 6 seasons or so. We had a season in which we should have a national championship. Bryant had a .700+ winning percentage.

Reactions: Johnfarrel

While that list was made up mostly of QB and DL some of the RB being on the list are head scratchers, including UGA's Swift, and Snell not being on the list. Now a few of them have solid arguments for being there, Love is a great back. so is the Taylor kid at Wisconsin/ After those 2 who I think have kind of separated themselves from the others there are probably 15 backs who fall into the next level and Snell is in this group. 2 things seemed to hurt Snell from making the list, his ypc and top end speed, but he might be the best short yardage back in the country. One thing that would help his value is showing he is a good receiver, maybe that isn't much of a part of UK's offense, but it hurts Snell value to people who do these list and the NFL. Sony Michel didn't even start at UGA but ended up being a 1st rounder because of his overall game, Benny hasn't gotten much chance to show his overall game.

While he definitely deserved to be on it Benny is the last player in college who needs motivation. I really believe hes going to have an absolutely ridiculous year and put up some incredible yards per game. While he may have a good year, how crazy is it that Tagovailoa is on the list after not even playing a full game. 10 RBs ranked ahead of him LMAO. Thanks espn

I really don't give a damn about such lists, or seasons past. I am ready for this season, and optimistic about it.

He is better than any back we will face. If the OL is improved he will not only be mentioned among the greats he will also have Heisman votes. He is a beast!!!!!

While that list was made up mostly of QB and DL some of the RB being on the list are head scratchers, including UGA's Swift, and Snell not being on the list. Now a few of them have solid arguments for being there, Love is a great back. so is the Taylor kid at Wisconsin/ After those 2 who I think have kind of separated themselves from the others there are probably 15 backs who fall into the next level and Snell is in this group. 2 things seemed to hurt Snell from making the list, his ypc and top end speed, but he might be the best short yardage back in the country. One thing that would help his value is showing he is a good receiver, maybe that isn't much of a part of UK's offense, but it hurts Snell value to people who do these list and the NFL. Sony Michel didn't even start at UGA but ended up being a 1st rounder because of his overall game, Benny hasn't gotten much chance to show his overall game.
Very astute. Benny isn't going to make a bunch of highlight reels plays (like Reggie Bush) but in this system he is a monster at keeping the chains moving (like LenDale White). Personally, Benny Snell is a lot like an old time Hall of Famer for Houston Oilers...Earl Campbell. Just a monster between the tackles and constantly moving the first down chains was his game.

But it's a shame he keeps getting passed by RB are all potential but not so much production (i.e. Derrius Guice was preseason all SEC over Benny last year...and he wasn't as good IMO).

Reactions: theycallmefrancis
The biggest knock I've seen (which @Grumpyolddawg refers to) is that his per-play production took a step back last season, likely a consequence of Boom not being there as a change of pace ... not to mention just fewer carries.

He had a pretty weird year. Not all that good in the first seven games (4.1 ypg) and then outstanding in the final five (6.5 ypg) ... when the team as a whole was kind of going in the opposite direction. Would be inclined to say the team goes as Benny goes, but that really wasn't the case in 2017.

I agree I want to see some winning. I’m sick of settling for mediocrity but to say UK football has no tradition is to ignore that perhaps the alltime greatest coach was at the helm for 6 seasons or so. We had a season in which we should have a national championship. Bryant had a .700+ winning percentage.

Tradition:a long-established custom or belief that has been passed on in this way

One coach, for half a decade, eons ago is not a tradition, it's a blip on the radar.

And to the OP, yes winning matters, but it takes some time to build a football roster.

The biggest knock I've seen (which @Grumpyolddawg refers to) is that his per-play production took a step back last season, likely a consequence of Boom not being there as a change of pace ... not to mention just fewer carries.

He had a pretty weird year. Not all that good in the first seven games (4.1 ypg) and then outstanding in the final five (6.5 ypg) ... when the team as a whole was kind of going in the opposite direction. Would be inclined to say the team goes as Benny goes, but that really wasn't the case in 2017.

That State game really skews the first 7 games stat, I don't remember what happened but his carries were way down as was his production. Was he hurt early or did State jump out early and force UK to play catch up?

Very astute. Benny isn't going to make a bunch of highlight reels plays (like Reggie Bush) but in this system he is a monster at keeping the chains moving (like LenDale White). Personally, Benny Snell is a lot like an old time Hall of Famer for Houston Oilers...Earl Campbell. Just a monster between the tackles and constantly moving the first down chains was his game.

But it's a shame he keeps getting passed by RB are all potential but not so much production (i.e. Derrius Guice was preseason all SEC over Benny last year...and he wasn't as good IMO).

Earl did this damage against NFL players.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot

To be fair two points:
1. UK schedule was far easier first half of 2017 vs. last half of 2017....maybe it was bad offensive teams is why our defense held up early in year (So Miss, East Michigan, UF, USC, etc..) and then our defense basically fell off a cliff last part of year (Ole Miss, Miss St, UGA, UL, etc...)
2. The high correlation for Benny was in my opinion Drake Jackson took the Center spot in the Mizzou game (after a complete mess of snaps in UF and USC games as well as SO Miss, East Mich, etc..) and then the OL gelled very well with Drake eliminating bad snaps thusly the read option was more fluid. Also the decision to basically bench Nick Haynes due to his crazy weight loss allowed us to play more physically able guards in Bunchy/Stenberg.

I'm wagering we'll see a more consistent rushing attack in 2018 due to pretty stable OL and especially at the Center spot.

Reactions: Blouman and JasonS.
First of all, let me say I agree with basically everything the OP said. Notably, football respect, for the program and somewhat for the players, will come with winning.

Regarding Snell, I very much agree with Grumpy's assessment - a terrific short yardage runner who probably needs to "show" more speed and elusiveness to do well at the pro level. I will add pass block and catch the ball as pro-level skills that have not been part of his UK career so far.

Going back to that speed/elusiness thing, among last year's top 100 rushers (total yards rushing) Snell was #25 nationally with 1333 yards. However, among those same top rushers he was #79 in YPC (5.09).

The ESPN Top 50 list is kind of silly. I think I counted 9 RBs on that list. Should Snell be 1 of the 9? IDK, but if I counted correctly there are 11 returning RBs who rushed for more yards than Snell last year and 9 of them play for P5 teams.

Peace

Damn, I started to get teary-eyed during my reading of this. People at the restaurant asked me if I was okay.

Last edited:
To be fair two points:
1. UK schedule was far easier first half of 2017 vs. last half of 2017....maybe it was bad offensive teams is why our defense held up early in year (So Miss, East Michigan, UF, USC, etc..) and then our defense basically fell off a cliff last part of year (Ole Miss, Miss St, UGA, UL, etc...)
2. The high correlation for Benny was in my opinion Drake Jackson took the Center spot in the Mizzou game (after a complete mess of snaps in UF and USC games as well as SO Miss, East Mich, etc..) and then the OL gelled very well with Drake eliminating bad snaps thusly the read option was more fluid. Also the decision to basically bench Nick Haynes due to his crazy weight loss allowed us to play more physically able guards in Bunchy/Stenberg.

I'm wagering we'll see a more consistent rushing attack in 2018 due to pretty stable OL and especially at the Center spot.

Good points both.

Hope Benny does well, just worried about the wear and tear on any back.
At least this year we’re not hearing :
1. We’re young
2. We’re thin
3. We have too many injuries

This program needs to win some damn games

He wasn’t in the top 60. He wasn’t listed in the 10 snubs. Absolutely it’s because of the team he plays for.

He's not there because the people that vote for this nonsense don't watch college football.

Reactions: *CatinIL*
If, and it's a BIG if, we can have a decent passing game and keep opponents from stacking the box, Snell will put up a ton of yards on fewer carries. He could easily average 2 or 3 yrds per carry more if we can consistently complete some medium and deep passes.

Reactions: sluggercatfan

You respect him so much you can’t spell his name.

I started following the Cats in '59 and have been to more away games than many on here have been to home games. What comes to mind with regard to respect is the fact that Kentucky is a basketball school in a football conference. Not only that, but Kentucky has found more ways to lose games, over the years, than the law allows... i.e. last year's Florida game. I love my Wildcats, but one could make an argument that Kentucky Football is an oxymoron.

I started following the Cats in '59 and have been to more away games than many on here have been to home games. What comes to mind with regard to respect is the fact that Kentucky is a basketball school in a football conference. Not only that, but Kentucky has found more ways to lose games, over the years, than the law allows... i.e. last year's Florida game. I love my Wildcats, but one could make an argument that Kentucky Football is an oxymoron.

That's the kind of thing that happens when we have an AD that spends 60% more on a recruiting budget for basketball for about one fourth the recruits as football, that has the basketball players living in a palace while the football team actually uses a "recruiting room" with folding chairs and projection screens for FIFTEEN YEARS, where the operating budget for 85 rides is less than 10% higher than for the one for 13 rides, where-------

No use going on, Slugger's attention span has already been exceeded, but LOTS more.

The really amazing thing to me is that this same AD is now a football hero to a lot of FOOTBALL FANS when he finally figured out what a two year old should have done before losing tens of millions of dollars from the sport that even with miserable support was showing over three times the profit as the one with EVERYYHING....

Reactions: Darkcide
I rest my case! Even as a UK grad and huge fan, I can't get their names right...blame it on lack of tradition.

Don't feel bad, while at UK I was amazed to know a Junior that reached that level without knowing how to spell anything, if you had asked him to spell coffee he wouldn't have got one letter right, he would have spelled it kawphy.

He is better than any back we will face. If the OL is improved he will not only be mentioned among the greats he will also have Heisman votes. He is a beast!!!!!
That's right, Dork! About time he gets 150+ yards in our win over UF they will see the error of their ways. Gators will be asking for the number of that truck.

ADVERTISEMENT