ADVERTISEMENT

Of all the sports cliches, my favorite...

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
...and the most true, as I've found during an eventful life, is this:

"Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals character."

It is going to be interesting to see this bunch of Kentucky players respond to the Duke loss and other early season setbacks and reveal their character over the next few months. Nothing I've seen makes me ready to bet against them.

Meanwhile, the small amount of adversity the Cats have suffered has caused a lot of people on this board to reveal their character. Not a pretty sight. The Cats will be back on top eventually, maybe this year, maybe in a year or two. But some of you will be stuck with being miserable, hand-wringing losers forever.

Defense wins championships

(sorry OP I don't think this is where you wanted this thread to go but you got me thinking of my favorite sports cliches).... Hopefully this team reveals strong character. I think they will.

Reactions: TexKat

It is going to be interesting to see this bunch of Kentucky players respond to the Duke loss and other early season setbacks and reveal their character over the next few months. Nothing I've seen makes me ready to bet against them.

Meanwhile, the small amount of adversity the Cats have suffered has caused a lot of people on this board to reveal their character. Not a pretty sight. The Cats will be back on top eventually, maybe this year, maybe in a year or two. But some of you will be stuck with being miserable, hand-wringing losers forever.

Kinda reminds me of the loss to IU,when they kept showing that buzzer beater on espn over and over.AD, I recall saying how sick they were watching it...
Rematch in March..

Aint over until its over. Go cats! March is a strange month ;). We might not be 1998 like. But we sure the heck aint lost a game in march just yet. Just get baker on court. That might all it may take . We just dont know just yet. Cal wants #2. Dont let the glimmer fool any fan. Guy hates not winning lol.

Reactions: Wildcat_JC
I kno i make bold statements alot. Im trying get this board to get positive. But its actually really obvious. Wiseman picking memphis. Crushed cals spirits. "Im overrated as recruiter". The guy wants the very best for kentucky basketball. I garauntee his soul is exactly like day 1 hire. Get the best of best and catch ucla. Its just so hard guys. The guy has proved he is a winner. I truly believe cal will get another title. I think the only thing stopping it atm . is the fanbase. Create atomsphere kids want to be apart of. Davis believed in ky cause of the effect. We need that effect brought back. Towns believed in that effect. Us fans need to keep effect alive. I think cal trys to create the whole dang shabang. Top to bottom. "As teamwork". I think its mighty time we all get onboard. It aint over. We need a spark .

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I just want to be entertained. I'm a fan. I love my team. I see others gaining advantages, and I want us to stay with the stream as far as competitiveness.

This is a message board for catharsis, info exchange, humor, and insight. Some of us combine different elements of sardonic wit or melodrama in order to infuse the absurd into the dialogue. Most of it is, of course, nonsense. At the end of the day, we're talking about kids putting a ball through a basket. That in itself is absurd.

It's no different than a movie message board where Batman fans critique the latest installments of their favorite comic character. What could the directors have done differently with the script? Who could they replace as far as casting? All of this comes down to entertainment and visions of what a finished product of entertainment should look like. Obviously, there are different opinions there, some facile, others more developed.

I'm not sure how any of this warrants some type of moral drama analysis into people's characters unless we're talking about where people stand on the semi-exploitation of amateurism by the NCAA. That's a bigger issue.

I just want to be entertained. I'm a fan. I love my team. I see others gaining advantages, and I want us to stay with the stream as far as competitiveness.

This is a message board for catharsis, info exchange, humor, and insight. Some of us combine different elements of sardonic wit or melodrama in order to infuse the absurd into the dialogue. Most of it is, of course, nonsense. At the end of the day, we're talking about kids putting a ball through a basket. That in itself is absurd.

It's no different than a movie message board where Batman fans critique the latest installments of their favorite comic character. What could the directors have done differently with the script? Who could they replace as far as casting? All of this comes down to entertainment and visions of what a finished product of entertainment should look like. Obviously, there are different opinions there, some facile, others more developed.

I'm not sure how any of this warrants some type of moral drama analysis into people's characters unless we're talking about where people stand on the semi-exploitation of amateurism by the NCAA. That's a bigger issue.
We love our cats. Im thankful to be apart of such a diverse fanbase. We do kind of sit alone. Everybody gets lucky around us. From this to that. We just wish that our lil decade here was as title obtaining as silly ass alabama sabans has been. So much luck mixed with high talent, with very lil blackeye here there. Bball unfornately is so different tho. March is a special run. Simply got to survive. Unlike few games of dominate. Etc

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
We love our cats. Im thankful to be apart of such a diverse fanbase. We do kind of sit alone. Everybody gets lucky around us. From this to that. We just wish that our lil decade here was as title obtaining as silly ass alabama sabans has been. So much luck mixed with high talent, with very lil blackeye here there. Bball unfornately is so different tho. March is a special run. Simply got to survive. Unlike few games of dominate. Etc

It's a strange time to be a fan, player, or coach. We're aware of every stat, every recruiting trip, every rumor and hint of impropriety. The kids we target constantly keep in touch. They know what "gifts" and promises they're getting from other programs. At worst, the elites see school as an obstruction, a year of wasted earnings. At best, it's a conduit for marketing and exposure.

Information exchange has gone from a trickle in the 90s, to a slow rising creek in the early 2000s, to a flood. Has to make it hard if you're a coach trying to shape and shift broader fan/player opinions.

Cal is the best man for UK. I think one would have to abandon logic to paint a different picture on the luxuries afforded by Cal towards our fan base. That said, we're witnessing an intersection of sorts as far as where the game is going. OAD may be on its way out, but we still have 3 or 4 remaining years of it where kids have their hands out for compensation. The NBA has created a diva environment where the best players don't desire the old pickup game blood sporting of the past generations (Cal was right to mention that aspect). We see guys wanting to be coddled, pacified, and turned into demigods. Our culture is happy to comply with its misplaced hero worship and god-creating ways. The competitive tribalism of previous generations has morphed into a business class culture where NBA players put as much thought into their post game wardrobe as they do the competitive outlook of the actual game. All of this has created a me-first syndrome among the entire basketball culture, one that trickles down to the AU circuit and recruiting expectations of the elite and most gifted players. Cal is old school. He won't have it.

Thus the dilemma. I admire him drawing a line in the sand. I also understand the frustration of our fans who see the line in the sand running parallel with choosing the ethical hill our program will fight its current battle on.

The differing opinions represent little more than a dialogue of strategic development in the form of a question: Can we win on this ground our Coach has chosen? Can we hold the high ground or will our position be exposed by our rivals?

Reactions: I bleed big blue

You make me sick.

You and one or two or even three others.

I hate giving credit where credit is due. I don't know why but I do. It makes me sick...It's, it's,....adverse!

Reactions: MdWIldcat55

Thread Of The Month.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
I kno i make bold statements alot. Im trying get this board to get positive. But its actually really obvious. Wiseman picking memphis. Crushed cals spirits. "Im overrated as recruiter". The guy wants the very best for kentucky basketball. I garauntee his soul is exactly like day 1 hire. Get the best of best and catch ucla. Its just so hard guys. The guy has proved he is a winner. I truly believe cal will get another title. I think the only thing stopping it atm . is the fanbase. Create atomsphere kids want to be apart of. Davis believed in ky cause of the effect. We need that effect brought back. Towns believed in that effect. Us fans need to keep effect alive. I think cal trys to create the whole dang shabang. Top to bottom. "As teamwork". I think its mighty time we all get onboard. It aint over. We need a spark .

Reactions: I bleed big blue
Ball goes through hoop when it matters most. Alot of this chatter would never happened. Its simple as that. But absolutely. I agree. Why be down? When its basically being told to us publicly. We are at a crossroads. I taking the high road. We are who we are.

I try my best. You almost make me sick too.

Where's that Morsickersky when you don't want him around. Man I'm glad he has limited his posts. I'd be too sick!

@morgousky

"This is a message board for catharsis, info exchange, humor, and insight. Some of us combine different elements of sardonic wit or melodrama in order to infuse the absurd into the dialogue. Most of it is, of course, nonsense. At the end of the day, we're talking about kids putting a ball through a basket."

"Yeah!"....wait, what?[winking]

ADVERTISEMENT