ADVERTISEMENT

Oddball takes from and oddball. Take your pick

Jan 27, 2023
I had to create a new account. Old one stop working a couple years ago and I so I stopped posting. I have no clout anyway. But I am an overthinker that’s good at noticing things others don’t. Not offended by criticism.

1. Wheelers hands aren’t big enough. I’m a taller guy (with big feet to save my ego), but I have small hands. Smaller hands are detrimental to basketball. That’s why I think he pushes everything. If you can’t grip the ball, you can’t control the ball that well. You can’t get your shoulders up to shoot with your hands behind the ball. Btw, I like Wheeler. He’s got a lot of heart, a good personality, incredible speed, but he has that limitation. Sure, there have been plenty of really good smaller guards, but maybe without that limitation.
2. Toppin was playing very hurt to start the year. Go back and watch some early games. He was holding his shoulders forward and stiff in a way that only comes from some significant upper body damage. That’s why he couldn’t finish certain shots. Now he’s playing more up and down and free in his movements.
3. Cal’s teams have conditioning issues. Maybe that’s the result of a changed world with more entitlements. It’s common across all of basketball now, but Cal’s teams seem even more susceptible than most teams. The players are lean and strong, but get hurt a lot. Running and weights aren’t the only things necessary to be in great shape. Being limber needs to come in somewhere.
4. Oscar doesn’t get a lot of foul calls because he doesn’t fall down. I think refs think that if he is unmoved then he really wasn’t fouled badly enough to deserve a call.
5. Cal’s recruiting hurts his teams at the beginning of the year. Cal is always on the go, and he’s older now so something has to suffer. You can’t have enough energy after a certain point in life to go, go, go, while also paying attention to coaching, leading a staff, and team psychology. Robic and Payne had long enough established relationships with Cal to manage those things. Newer assistants or assistants that have been away for a while are going to struggle more with those types of duties.
6. CJ probably had another problem this years that hasn’t gotten much attention. He’s a college age guy with a girlfriend/fiancé that is playing on a team with major issues. No shade to CJ, but you can’t be that close to someone at that age and those problems not effect you too.
7. You guys talk a lot about the next coach, because there is no obvious answer. When Cal was hired he was option 1, 2, and 3. I’m not sure that coach exists currently. More like, “I hope they would come,” and then “I hope that would work out.”
8. I don’t quite get the obsession with championships. Probably it’s just a marker to assert our superiority years down the road. Winning a championship is extremely hard. You have to have the right guys, the right assistants, the right calls, and the right luck. There haven’t been many AD/MKG teams in the history of basketball where the players were so superior that they could pretty much beat anyone on any night, even if everything didn’t go right.
9. I like the stories of Cal’s teams each year (usually). I like learning the personalities. I like seeing the adversity. I like seeing how each new team develops. The Cal years have been so much more exciting and interesting than the Tubby years. (Btw, Tubby didn’t win a championship). Pitino’s players won a championship when they stopped listening to Tubby in the second half and played the ball they already knew. Cal’s teams have tremendous turnover and so every now and then you get a dud. You just didn’t get the player you needed. Or you picked up an extremely toxic personality. Regardless, the reset each year is part of what makes the stories so interesting. UK hiring Tubby after Pitino was like Florida hiring White after Donovan. Didn’t make sense then. Didn’t make sense five years later. Still doesn’t make sense.
10. Someone please explain why Lance Ware isn’t any better at basketball than he is. The dude is big and fit. He’s decently athletic. He usually plays hard. But for some reason he’s not great at basketball. Great for team support and chemistry though.

Bonus: Like everyone else, Cal letting some players go to waste is maddening. Hopkins played hard when he got to play. He made mistakes, but he needed game time to learn not to make those mistakes. Same situation with Thiero. I love what Thiero brings to the table. Thiero has the potential to be a matchup nightmare. Unfortunately, we’re not going to get to see it.

Cal wasn’t option anything. Bcg was the option. When he went bust then Barney was forced to hire cal. Left to his own devices he wouldn’t have hired cal. There were other options who didn’t pan out for Barney. Bill Donovan was option 1. When Cals time is finally over soon I hope soon, we will land a top flight stud coach. As long as Barney isn’t near the athletic department. I mean right now Scott drew makes more sense for Kentucky than cal did. Less polarizing, proven winner at a fb school.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Cal wasn’t option anything. Bcg was the option. When he went bust then Barney was forced to hire cal. Left to his own devices he wouldn’t have hired cal. There were other options who didn’t pan out for Barney. Bill Donovan was option 1. When Cals time is finally over soon I hope soon, we will land a top flight stud coach. As long as Barney isn’t near the athletic department. I mean right now Scott drew makes more sense for Kentucky than cal did. Less polarizing, proven winner at a fb school.
Just so I understand, you’re saying Scott Drew makes more sense to Kentucky now than Cal did 14 years ago? There’s no way you can believe that.

Scott Drew won his title during covid when nobody even thought the sport would be played. That’s like acknowledging the Lakers NBA title when they played half a season and none of the other teams were even in shape.

I said it the other day. It takes a Calipari or Pitino ego/personality to take this job on where everything you say is gonna be evaluated as if you’re the president.

People are begging for a Stoops-like personality for this job like Nate Oats or Scott Drew. Someone who doesn’t hurt anybody’s feelings. I say the opposite. I say there might be a good chance those boys would collapse during a rough stretch here. Tubby could only take it for a little while and Gillespie couldn’t handle it from the beginning. Neither one of those guys had to deal with the pressure of social media or even a strong internet presence.

To call Scott Drew a top flight stud coach is outrageous.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Dude gtfo with tubby didn't win a championship. There's never been a college team that could win a championship without coaching.

No group of 18-22 yr olds can accomplish anything of note without someone to guide em.
Yessir! Say what you want about Tubby, but he was a heck of a coach. The pressure to keep it up got to him. The moment he said he doesn't have to sell Kentucky to recruits because Kentucky sells itself was the beginning of the end for him here.

Just so I understand, you’re saying Scott Drew makes more sense to Kentucky now than Cal did 14 years ago? There’s no way you can believe that.

Scott Drew won his title during covid when nobody even thought the sport would be played. That’s like acknowledging the Lakers NBA title when they played half a season and none of the other teams were even in shape.

I said it the other day. It takes a Calipari or Pitino ego/personality to take this job on where everything you say is gonna be evaluated as if you’re the president.

People are begging for a Stoops-like personality for this job like Nate Oats or Scott Drew. Someone who doesn’t hurt anybody’s feelings. I say the opposite. I say there might be a good chance those boys would collapse during a rough stretch here. Tubby could only take it for a little while and Gillespie couldn’t handle it from the beginning. Neither one of those guys had to deal with the pressure of social media or even a strong internet presence.

I happen to agree. Drew might be to humble for this job and too quiet.

I say lets see how this year and next play out. I think Cal has earned that with 4 FFs, 2 title games and a natty at UK plus the 38-1 season while winning 38 in a row was special too.
This team is really starting to gel while getting healthy.
I really believe KU is walking into a hornets nest later tonight.
As for next season if Dilly ends up here you are talking about maybe the greatest recruiting class of all time. Couple that with several returning players and next season could be very special too.
If neither of these teams at least makes the FF its time for Cal to move on but not before.

Dude gtfo with tubby didn't win a championship. There's never been a college team that could win a championship without coaching.

No group of 18-22 yr olds can accomplish anything of note without someone to guide em.
Honestly I have always felt the same way about the 98 group. Tubby seemed to want to grind games with them upon his arrival and that wasn’t the style they learned or thrived in. May not have been all on their own but the players certainly had some input it would seem, to me at least, how they wanted to play.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

When Rick Barnes thinks you are a sleaze, you prolly are a sleaze. He wouldn’t spit on Drew if he was ablaze. He won’t get a sniff here, ever.

Agree 100%. I’ve heard some really stupid things in my lifetime. One of the all time stupidest is that Coach Smith didn’t win that championship…the players won it in spite of him. Not sure where people come up with that hogwash.

Reactions: G-PIP
With the 98 teem it seems to me that we forget that the players called a player only meeting in the early part of the season and said 'this is not working, let's just do what coach say's and see where it goes.

Also how Tubby out coach K in the NCAAT with Dukes super freshman team after they called their last time out.

Then run the legs off the Utes at the end of first half and they were gassed in the second half and the announcers kept saying 'No one has ever come back after a 10 point half time deficit.

And coach K when asked what happened said ' For 30 min. every thing was good but for the last 10 min I was outcoached. Fact.

And last Pitino said himself Tubby took the team farther than he could have. Fact.

I don't know that much about BB like most of you but that looks like coaching to me.

Brother put down the bourbon, it causing you to say a bunch of stupid BS, 90 percent of what you said in that post is crazy

Better go back and check. Every thing I said is fact. I heard the comments myself and have have a very good memory. Just because you didn't here or don't remember doesn't make them BS. I'm sure some others heard the same comments.

If you watch the 98 game you will see will see those 2 points for yourself. Tubby put some bench in after the last time out 1st half and told them to run up and down and we lost 4 more points to down 10. Check it out.

And watch the duke game after they called their last time out and Tubby wouldn't call a time out watch K s face. Frustrated cause he couldn't help his frosh team. You can check them out for yourself and I they play the K intrview you will hear that too.

Check it out

There a dumb takes, and then there is this.
"(Btw, Tubby didn’t win a championship). Pitino’s players won a championship when they stopped listening to Tubby in the second half and played the ball they already knew."

If the biggest complaint I have from my post is “Tubby was a good coach,” I will take that. I was young enough to not be aware of coaches interviews and whatnot. And for some damned reason, some of you are Tubby loyalists. Tubby certainly would have added coaching components to his first team that Pitino didn’t. But, the team was called the “Comeback Cats,” for a reason. They switched styles in the second half games to something a lot more like Pitino Ball. They WERE coached…the year before. So maybe you could say that Tubby taught a few extra things that the players could incorporate into their old style.

Tubby was a good fundamentals coach and some of you think fundamentals are the end all be all. There are a lot of fundamentals that need to be in place, but straight X’s and O’s basketball is miserably boring. Athleticism, speed, risk, intangibles make exciting basketball. Do you guys really want Virginia ball each and every game!? If that’s what you love, that’s what you love, and we’ll just not agree.

Sorry for such long posts. Not a good look for the internet. Having some health issues that give me nothing but time to sit and stare at a screen.

Agree 100%. I’ve heard some really stupid things in my lifetime. One of the all time stupidest is that Coach Smith didn’t win that championship…the players won it in spite of him. Not sure where people come up with that hogwash.

OP sure sounds like that Son of Saul guy. Same long-winded gibberish. All those recent Russell Reserve aliases recently banned? Him as well IMO. Can’t control his nervous energy and disdain for Calipari.

Tubby not calling a timeout because he knew Duke badly needed one to stop the bleeding but didn’t have one was brilliant.

Tubby having Turner repeatedly take Wojo off the dribble was epic. Though Rat not putting Avery in instead because Wojo was his pet was really dumb. Tubby exploited K's stupidity.

And I'm not even a Tubby fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
Also, can I get some responses to the other thoughts? We all have polarizing opinions that shouldn’t invalidate all our other opinions. I wrote this because I am bored and hoped to see others’ thoughts on these less noticed things.
I had forgotten about UK and fans wanting to hire Donovan. You guys are right. He would have been a good choice. So maybe Cal was more like option 2, 3, and 4. Oats seems like the clear best choice right now, but he doesn’t have the giant personality that Donovan and Cal have. After Oats, the picture gets a lot more muddled.

Right. They were coached by Pitino. Tubby turned it into a mess. Then after the Valentines Day massacre the team had a players only meeting and took over.

They took Tubby along for the ride.

Right. They were coached by Pitino. Tubby turned it into a mess. Then after the Valentines Day massacre the team had a players only meeting and took over.

They took Tubby along for the ride.

Jeff Sheppard says all that is complete and utter hogwash. But hey, internet sleuth's know better than eye witnessess!! 🤣

Reactions: G-PIP
ADVERTISEMENT