ADVERTISEMENT

Odd story. UK freshman Mahone took bus to cross campus & wound up in Pikeville

Reminds me of Tom Duly (back in 59 when the song was popular) when we were coming in from all over the country to start our six months USAADC school at Ft Bliss. Hopped in a cab and told him to take him to Ft Bliss, the driver said "Are you sure, it's about 500 miles.". He was on the wrong plane and ended up in San Antonio.

Same kid was at an apartment off base and signed up for about $200 worth of magazines from a good looking sales girl, hard to pay for when we were making $84 a month as PFCs. But he got out of that one too.

Probably amazing that it doesn't happen more often..

Reactions: AustinTXCat
What was the reason for his low ranking and few quality offers? Was it because schools thought he wouldn't qualify? Or is he really raw as a prospect? A little bit of both? He certainly passes the look test.

Reminds me of Tom Duly (back in 59 when the song was popular) when we were coming in from all over the country to start our six months USAADC school at Ft Bliss. Hopped in a cab and told him to take him to Ft Bliss, the driver said "Are you sure, it's about 500 miles.". He was on the wrong plane and ended up in San Antonio.

Same kid was at an apartment off base and signed up for about $200 worth of magazines from a good looking sales girl, hard to pay for when we were making $84 a month as PFCs. But he got out of that one too.

Probably amazing that it doesn't happen more often..
I was in Ft. Bliss a few weeks back. Got on the wrong bus and ended up in McGregor range in New Mexico, lol

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Many of our athletes come from rural areas or different kinds of backgrounds. Adjusting to campus life doesn’t take long for most people. But it is a big campus with some transportation options that must be learned. Jerquavion is doing very well, but this was an unusual learning experience he won’t forget. He got to see some beautiful Kentucky landscape!

I was in Ft. Bliss a few weeks back. Got on the wrong bus and ended up in McGregor range in New Mexico, lol

McGregor, just over the state line in New Mexico, firing range for all the Hawk, Nike, etc antiaircraft missiles the Army tested. Only there once, we had a steel strike and no Hawk missiles for a year, finally there for a test firing, but my oldest brother died and they sent a jeep for me. Young driver tried everything in the world trying to tear up the transmission, slamming in reverse, etc, guess he wanted a day off, but we made it back and I spent all the money I had saved out of my $84 a month going home for the funeral.

One fantastic sight I saw though, just standing around hurrying up and waiting when it sounded like about ten sticks of dynamite went off, someone pointed and there was a big cloud of dust and smoke about 3 miles away. Then someone said look up, and the Nike Zeus missile was already out of sight, barely caught a glimpse of the sunlight glinting off it about five miles up in the air in about five seconds.

VERY impressed, and I can't imagine what they have now, that was almost 60 years ago.

Last edited:
What was the reason for his low ranking and few quality offers? Was it because schools thought he wouldn't qualify? Or is he really raw as a prospect? A little bit of both? He certainly passes the look test.
I think grades and he made a huge jump from junior to senior year in production.

McGregor, just over the state line in New Mexico, firing range for all the Hawk, Nike, etc antiaircraft missiles the Army tested. Only there once, we had a steel strike and no Hawk missiles for a year, finally there for a test firing, but my oldest brother died and they sent a jeep for me. Young driver tried everything in the world trying to tear up the transmission, slamming in reverse, etc, guess he wanted a day off, but we made it back and I spent all the money I had saved out of my $84 a month going home for the funeral.

One fantastic sight I saw though, just standing around hurrying up and waiting when it sounded like about ten sticks of dynamite went off, someone pointed and there was a big cloud of dust and smoke about 3 miles away. Then someone said look up, and the Nike Zeus missile was already out of sight, barely caught a glimpse of the sunlight glinting off it about five miles up in the air in about five seconds.

VERY impressed, and I can't imagine what they have now, that was almost 60 years ago.
I also trained on Nike Hercs after re-class from 11B. Ft. Bliss and El Paso = no joke.

ADA school moved to Ft. Sill, I believe.

It's a Georgia thing. Years ago, before cell phones Braves had a starting pitcher who wasn't very good with English. After he was sure he was going to stay with the big Braves he got a car and apartment. First game after moving he was scheduled to start, he left for stadium got on 285, for those who don't know it is a loop around Atlanta, didn't know how to get to stadium and circled Atlanta until he ran out of gas, missed the game and was know forever after as 285 Perez.

Reactions: childe
Wondering if there was a Skipper, millionaire and his wife, a movie star, professor and Mary Ann riding along with Gilligan Mahone, on his three hour tour?

ADVERTISEMENT