ADVERTISEMENT

OC question from the past?

UKWILDCAT2004

Senior
Jan 12, 2003
With the terrible news of Coach Leach it got me to thinking about the past. At the the time of Coach Brooks being hired there was an OC from USC that was regarded as an up and coming coach just like Leach. Leach was way more successful than him. I believe he went on to coach Hawaii and seems like maybe an OC for an NFL team. I say all of that to ask who was he? I can't remember his name now. And what became of him? I just remember him and leach being discussed a lot at the time by fans to be UK's next coach.

Ah, memories. Legend has it Chow in fact verbally accepted the job & was making phone calls filling out his staff. Then something like his daughter filed fir divorce, so he backed out so he & his wife could be with her in Southern California.

Then in a year or 2 Pete Carroll pushed Chow out to give the offense to a couple young wipersnappers named Lane Kiffin & Steve Sarkisian. Chow never again got as good a job offer as UK in Dec 2002.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Ah, memories. Legend has it Chow in fact verbally accepted the job & was making phone calls filling out his staff. Then something like his daughter filed fir divorce, so he backed out so he & his wife could be with her in Southern California.

Then in a year or 2 Pete Carroll pushed Chow out to give the offense to a couple young wipersnappers named Lane Kiffin & Steve Sarkisian. Chow never again got as good a job offer as UK in Dec 2002.

I knew there was some scuttlebutt about him accepting the job. Seemed like at the time it was pretty much a "done deal" then all of a sudden we were looking again.

It is probably fortunate we ended up with Rich Brooks. Norm Chow was the sexy name back in those days and many thought he was the brains behind USC's success. But nope. The brains behind USC was Pete Carroll. I never heard much from Norm Chow post-USC. I suspect he would have flamed out here pretty fast.

It is probably fortunate we ended up with Rich Brooks. Norm Chow was the sexy name back in those days and many thought he was the brains behind USC's success. But nope. The brains behind USC was Pete Carroll. I never heard much from Norm Chow post-USC. I suspect he would have flamed out here pretty fast.

I know he was at Hawaii after USC. I think he was fired possibly from there i don't remember. I also thought he was an OC for an NFL team as well. But again I don't remember lol.

Chow eventually became a college HC, Hawaii, but was fired. He was one of those guys who was better suited as an asst coach than HC. Had a nice career.

Last edited:
Chow eventually became a college HC, Hawaii, but was fired. He was one of those guys who was better suited as an asst coach than HC. Had a nice career.

He had a nice career as an assistant. Now as a head coach (if Wikipedia is correct) he was like 10-36. He was in the NFL for a bit with the titans. I just remember at the time he was a hot commodity and several schools wanted him.

ADVERTISEMENT