ADVERTISEMENT

Observations from the 21st Row.

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
1. Mountain Top.

My directions sent me through Waynesville, NC.

It was appropriate because for a week (or more) we’ve all been to a mountain top to peer into the promised land.

Without having read the whole board, I Hope most think we are still at a pretty high elevation.

2. Crowd.

I tailgated with a mixed crew of strangers, and predicted that absent turnovers, they would get us 27-10.

One in red said 48-7.

Their stadium noise is loud . . . but I honestly think no louder than we have been.

Our road crew did it’s best.

3. Road Foolishness.

After the game on a public street a clean cut student approached with hand extended and said, “Sir, all I have to say is it’s going to be a looong trip home.” I gripped his hand, put the other on his shoulder, and replied: “Young man, I live six miles North of Athens on Highway 411!”

It got a chuckle from his buds, in a manner he didn’t expect. He won’t likely use that line, again.

I’ve had too many years at stockyards and in courtrooms to get caught flat footed, often.

I personally like the Southern games and attitude . . . but a smartass would. It beats TF out of the quiet, staid, sterile, midwestern atmosphere of Columbia, Mizzou.

4. Georgia Defense.

I and others have made mention of Oxendine’s and Pascal’s appearance . . . that they are in such shape that absent others to measure them against, you wouldn’t think they were that big.

Georgia’s whole defense looked like that.

5. Coen.

I was as critical as anyone post USCe, but he designed some nasty sh!t that fooled me on several plays. It is pretty obvious the Coaches either encouraged CRod to talk, or let him talk a lot, as he was used masterfully as bait for some of the more unusual plays we’ve seen.

Coen is worth the investment!!

6. The Review of the Non-First Down.

Georgia fans were embarrassed by the gift. Family were texting them in the stadium saying the TV folks were shocked.

I doubt it mattered: might have brought a 17 point spread down to 10-14, but how they missed that one is beyond me.

7. Levis.

Kid just balls out, and loves the game. He fumbled a snap on one third-and-short, recovered it with some difficulty and just blasted ahead.

He had a good game that would have looked better without, oh, half-a-dozen drops.

I hope he wants to play, here, three years!

8. The Final Drive.

All will say it was meaningless, but they weren’t in the stadium. The student body was on that end of the field and went ape-sh!t, like they were pissed we might still try to score with 4 minutes left. That per-game opponent scoring average of 5 points was important to them!

The attitude and play of the offense, to get the second TD was of a team that was defeated, but un-bowed.

Kirby threw it all over the field, did his best to score a lot, etc. That’s what the whole game is about.

9. Possibilities.

There are still LOTS of possible final destinations for this team.

A remote, but very real one is that we both (1) win out, and (2) the stars align for a playoff ranking at 11-1, with a two loss Western team getting smashed by UGA in Atlanta . . . .

Yeah, we need several other things to happen, too.

But we would put up a better game against UGA as the 4th ranked team than the other likelier teams to have that slot come December.

10. Wan’ Dale:

If you could bottle that fight and attitude and inject it into every player . . . you’d end up with something looking like Georgia’s defense!

Hack, you're becoming really good at this! I now look forward to how the game looked from wherever you sat!

Thanks to you and all the Blue who showed out in Athens yesterday!

The future for this squad is very bright, especially if we can get some improved health over the bye. We're in the middle of a great ride, let's not forget to enjoy it. And, for anyone feeling a little down after losing on the road to an extremely good team, just think, what if you'd grown up a Tennessee fan!

GBB!

Good observation, but I think we played way too much chicken the first half instead of attacking north and south ...very realistic with me for me with this team is 12-1. Had three Georgia guys in front of us last night and had fun wuth them. Biggest criticism is not going for td on the blocked fg. Still think Stoops wants to play way too conservatively offensively...GOCATS!!

1. This game was about the LOS to me....and UGA was a ton better on both sides.
- A game like this is built for BUlly and Ox....we had no chance without them.
- On the other side....we have to be able to run the ball to some degree. When UGA was stuffing us up the gut....what little chance we had to control the ball and lower possessions was essentially over. Eli Cox and Horsey particularly had really bad games due to UGA unreal talent up the gut.
2. I was impressed with Coen mixing up some nice screens as a way to combat the UGA pass rush.
3. Levis really balled out and is a gamer. His improvement on short/intermediate stuff the last few weeks is really good to see.
4. Jacquez Jones, who has been really good this year, man he struggled bigtime. Not getting the fumble was a TD...then on the next play he left his zone in coverage on a hit to the RB right were he vacated. Missed some gap assignemt on UGA big runs as well.
5. We need Ali back....and next year we have to hit the transfer portal again. The WR depth behind Wandale has nothing to add and we're still a massive talent difference between UK and top tier SEC teams.

Gotta keep going and building....UGA is legit top D you'll see in college for years to come. I neat stat will to look back at how many UGA defensive players on that unit go drafted and how high. Those 2 interior Dline look like John Henderson/Albert Haynesworth duo of Tennessee.

Also went to the game..... went to pick up my buddy at the Athens airport and there were alot of UK fans flying in on smaller aircraft. Guy in charge told me that Notre Dame packed that little airport because they flew the team and the band in ....
To Hacks number 4, and I am sure you all saw. UGA players were pretty big.
The crowd. GREAT atmosphere.... had numbers of people thank us for coming. IMHO, the best crowd in the SEC besides us of course. Maybe T A&M and Bama round out the top 4 with ole miss 5th. And I have been to alot of away games.
Had brunch at Mama's Boy..... awesome food .
Alot of Blue there... we were well represented. The UGA fans I spoke to were well aware of how far we have come as a football program.
we tried to get seats off seat geek... prices never came down. happened to be standing next to a guy who works the ticket office for Atlanta United, the big soccer team here in ATL. Told me each school has a preferred ticket secondary market. UGA's was Stub Hub.... tickets were alot cheaper. I assumed he was telling the truth. Section 101 was the UK section I believe.

speaking of alcohol and UT, when we got to our seats, some dude had yacked all over the seats next to us. UGA fans took it well, and it was a UGA guy who blew. so.... i guess there are a few in every crowd who cant handle the alcohol.

Stadium is loud. Place was full. Lines for the bathroom and food/drink were terrible. Way worse than ours.

Guy in front of us said before the game, that Auburn was the best team they had played. After the first half, he said it was us. I told him I won't ask again after the game. lol

I listed to the UGA radio broadcast after the game. First thing he did was thank the crowd and said it made a considerable difference.
Kirby was very respectful, and so were a few of the announcers and player interviews. Said we hit hard. Said they had planned perfectly defensively for the game and it was the best they had played all year.

After the game not one UGA fan mentioned the final drive to us. I think we have come a long way.

1. Mountain Top.

It was appropriate because for a week (or more) we’ve all been to a mountain top to peer into the promised land.

Without having read the whole board, I Hope most think we are still at a pretty high elevation.

2. Crowd.

I tailgated with a mixed crew of strangers, and predicted that absent turnovers, they would get us 27-10.

One in red said 48-7.

Their stadium noise is loud . . . but I honestly think no louder than we have been.

3. Road Foolishness.

After the game on a public street a clean cut student approached with hand extended and said, “Sir, all I have to say is it’s going to be a looong trip home.” I gripped his hand, put the other on his shoulder, and replied: “Young man, I live six miles North of Athens on Highway 411!”

It got a chuckle from his buds, in a manner he didn’t expect. He won’t likely use that line, again.

I’ve had too many years at stockyards and in courtrooms to get caught flat footed, often.

I personally like the Southern games and attitude . . . but a smartass would. It beats TF out of the quiet, staid, sterile, midwestern atmosphere of Columbia, Mizzou.

4. Georgia Defense.

I and others have made mention of Oxendine’s and Pascal’s appearance . . . that they are in such shape that absent others to measure them against, you wouldn’t think they were that big.

5. Coen.

I was as critical as anyone post USCe, but he designed some nasty sh!t that fooled me on several plays. It is pretty obvious the Coaches either encouraged CRod to talk, or let him talk a lot, as he was used masterfully as bait for some of the more unusual plays we’ve seen.

Georgia fans were embarrassed by the gift. Family were texting them in the stadium saying the TV folks were shocked.

I doubt it mattered: might have brought a 17 point spread down to 10-14, but how they missed that one is beyond me.

7. Levis.

Kid just balls out, and loves the game. He fumbled a snap on one third-and-short, recovered it with some difficulty and just blasted ahead.

He had a good game that would have looked better without, oh, half-a-dozen drops.

8. The Final Drive.

All will say it was meaningless, but they weren’t in the stadium. The student body was on that end of the field and went ape-sh!t, like they were pissed we might still try to score with 4 minutes left. That per-game opponent scoring average of 5 points was important to them!

The attitude and play of the offense, to get the second TD was of a team that was defeated, but un-bowed.

Kirby threw it all over the field, did his best to score a lot, etc. That’s what the whole game is about.

9. Possibilities.

A remote, but very real one is that we both (1) win out, and (2) the stars align for a playoff ranking at 11-1, with a two loss Western team getting smashed by UGA in Atlanta . . . .

But we would put up a better game against UGA as the 4th ranked team than the other likelier teams to have that slot come December.

10. Wan’ Dale:

If you could bottle that fight and attitude and inject it into every player . . . you’d end up with something looking like Georgia’s defense!
Terrific post Thank You. On the ball spotting...Egregious is the word coming to mind...Even on the damn replay they made a "mistake"--seen that movie before

Also went to the game..... went to pick up my buddy at the Athens airport and there were alot of UK fans flying in on smaller aircraft. Guy in charge told me that Notre Dame packed that little airport because they flew the team and the band in ....
The crowd. GREAT atmosphere.... had numbers of people thank us for coming. IMHO, the best crowd in the SEC besides us of course. Maybe T A&M and Bama round out the top 4 with ole miss 5th. And I have been to alot of away games.
Alot of Blue there... we were well represented. The UGA fans I spoke to were well aware of how far we have come as a football program.
we tried to get seats off seat geek... prices never came down. happened to be standing next to a guy who works the ticket office for Atlanta United, the big soccer team here in ATL. Told me each school has a preferred ticket secondary market. UGA's was Stub Hub.... tickets were alot cheaper. I assumed he was telling the truth. Section 101 was the UK section I believe.

speaking of alcohol and UT, when we got to our seats, some dude had yacked all over the seats next to us. UGA fans took it well, and it was a UGA guy who blew. so.... i guess there are a few in every crowd who cant handle the alcohol.

Stadium is loud. Place was full. Lines for the bathroom and food/drink were terrible. Way worse than ours.

Guy in front of us said before the game, that Auburn was the best team they had played. After the first half, he said it was us. I told him I won't ask again after the game. lol

I listed to the UGA radio broadcast after the game. First thing he did was thank the crowd and said it made a considerable difference.
Kirby was very respectful, and so were a few of the announcers and player interviews. Said we hit hard. Said they had planned perfectly defensively for the game and it was the best they had played all year.

After the game not one UGA fan mentioned the final drive to us. I think we have come a long way.
Good post...tell me about Mama's Boy please. Location to stadium. Etc. Thank you.

Good post...tell me about Mama's Boy please. Location to stadium. Etc. Thank you.
About a mile from the stadium. Kinda hole in the wall place. Small. But the locals rave about it. I had breakfast, my friends had a pulled pork sandwich that was awesome. Great staff! Some UK people in there also. Easy walk to Sanford. On the old railroad side of the stadium.

Reactions: 3Bluefever325

Sanford Stadium concessions have been a mess for a long time. This year is bad specially because the crew that works the concessions has been short staffed. I think against Arkansas one of the crews didn't even show up

1. Mountain Top.

2. Crowd.

One in red said 48-7.

3. Road Foolishness.

4. Georgia Defense.

5. Coen.

7. Levis.

8. The Final Drive.

9. Possibilities.

10. Wan’ Dale:

Ever think about writing a mystery novel??
You're that good, Hack! And yes, I would buy AND read the damn thing!!
Keep it up! Love your posts!!

Reactions: The-Hack
The refs spotted the ball wrong several times. Once Wandale caught the ball and was driven back 2 yards before being pushed out of bounds. The ref spotted where he went out instead of giving him forward progress. It was a big play because we went from 3rd and 1 to 3rd and 3.
I was yelling at the TV on that play, too. It's almost like the ref WANTED it to be shorter than it was. Very strange.

Reactions: Creed Bratton

And reading that review was well worth the effort of writing my own!!

Hey, is that the restaurant that has the slogan “Automatic for the People,” that REM referenced?

I ate in that hole-in-the-wall 20 years, ago.

Last edited:
And reading that review was well worth the effort of writing my own!!

Hey, is that the restaurant that has the slogan “Automatic for the People,” that REM referenced?

I ate in the hole-in-the-wall 20 years, ago.
LOL.... you and I think alike..... I was educated on that restaurant this weekend... but its not Mama's Boy.
also I had no idea there was really a Normaltown, in Athens.... in reference to a certain B-52's song.

LOL.... you and I think alike..... I was educated on that restaurant this weekend... but its not Mama's Boy.
also I had no idea there was really a Normaltown, in Athens.... in reference to a certain B-52's song.

UGA had REM and the B-52’s??

USCe had Hooty and the Blowfish!

UK is lacking!!

Great reviews and comments in this thread. What amazed me was the closing speed of the entire GA defense. Also, did they miss a single tackle all game? Didn't seem like it.
They swarmed, tackled and their big line did things against our OL that I have not seen before. I am confident our OL have stories about how difficult that DL is. UGA has a good offense, but that defense is elite.

Good observation, but I think we played way too much chicken the first half instead of attacking north and south ...very realistic with me for me with this team is 12-1. Had three Georgia guys in front of us last night and had fun wuth them. Biggest criticism is not going for td on the blocked fg. Still think Stoops wants to play way too conservatively offensively...GOCATS!!
Your right and Georgia D was foaming at the mouth.. damn shame Ali was not healthy could have tried some deep shots too hlm since they were all over Wandale.

The refs spotted the ball wrong several times. Once Wandale caught the ball and was driven back 2 yards before being pushed out of bounds. The ref spotted where he went out instead of giving him forward progress. It was a big play because we went from 3rd and 1 to 3rd and 3.
I agree with this. It happened all game. GO CATS!!

Had I grown up a UT fan, lacking a mustard bottle (I quit carrying
my mustard bottle a few years back) I would have had only my cell phone to throw.

That would make posting difficult!
Maybe that mustard bottle was filled with golf balls to make noise. Maybe the owner was shaking so hard, it slipped out of her hand and landed on the field, ejecting a golf ball in the direction of coach Kitten. Maybe this is one big misunderstanding.

Maybe that mustard bottle was filled with golf balls to make noise. Maybe the owner was shaking so hard, it slipped out of her hand and landed on the field, ejecting a golf ball in the direction of coach Kitten. Maybe this is one big misunderstanding.

“My client wouldn’t throw a
Mustard bottle . . . she lives close to the foot of the Cross, helps baby ducks cross the street, and suffers from a mustard deficiency requiring her possession of the precious golden-brown liquid, and it’s careful preservation.

I ask the Court, would a heart patient throw their nitro pills; the crippled, their cane; the blind, their dog; the elderly their viagra pills, onto the field of play?

Stoops commented tonight on the spot that they reviewed and it was obvious it was a first down. Who was the ref that reviewed it because we saw it was a first down and replay showed it was a first down but the ref still did not give it to us. Wonder where that ref is from? Stoops sent that in to the office but hasn't heard back yet why we wasn't given that first down.

Thirty minutes before kickoff, I was standing outside of the restrooms and saw a woman in blue using binoculars to watch our warm ups. I asked her if she was watching a particular player. She politely responded…. Number 11. I asked if she was Beau Allen’s mom. She was and was excited to learn that my kids graduated from Lex Cath a few years before Beau. Then Bill showed up and we met. Super nice people. Had great things to say about the coaching staff and the fun that Beau is having. Said he is patiently waiting his turn.

"Told me each school has a preferred ticket secondary market. UGA's was Stub Hub".....

This is true and UK's preferred vendor is Ticketmaster.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT