ADVERTISEMENT

Now THIS is what a UK Baseball Team Looks Like

Well everyone should be excited this morning!!! A historic step for UK Baseball. We're in the conversation about the best teams in the country now, with a young team that is only going to be better in the future!

Still cracks me up that Calipari was there last night watching UK mow down NCSU with a 6'10" kid....pitching! And he was phenomenal.

Until last Friday, I couldn't have cared less about College baseball, but now I'm hooked. Last night's game was awesome and I was even watching a few other games throughout the day yesterday that were really good. College baseball is pretty exciting, I just never gave it a chance. This UK team has been fun to watch and beating Louisville to get to Omaha would be epic!

Until last Friday, I couldn't have cared less about College baseball, but now I'm hooked. Last night's game was awesome and I was even watching a few other games throughout the day yesterday that were really good. College baseball is pretty exciting, I just never gave it a chance. This UK team has been fun to watch and beating Louisville to get to Omaha would be epic!
I'm right there with you.

The big kid pitching for UK looked really good. I wonder if he played Basketball in high school.

Reactions: k4d2g0
Anyone know if it will be replayed. I was only able to record through the 5th due to the massive delay.

Btw

1. NCAA Baseball‏Verified account@NCAACWS 2h2 hours ago
    Kentucky at Louisville
    June 9 - Noon ET - ESPN2
    June 10 - Noon ET - ESPN
    June 11 - Noon ET - ESPN/ESPN2 #RoadToOmaha

DBoxaoVXsAA9AsR.jpg

I really started getting into it when I worked at Clemson years ago. Super stoked to see the Cats doing so well!

The big kid pitching for UK looked really good. I wonder if he played Basketball in high school.
read something about him last night, said he lettered 3 times in baseball and 4 times in basketball in high school. But preferred baseball, and when they asked him about playing hoops - since he committed to UK I suppose it was an obvious question for a 6'11 kid - he said he didn't want to do that, would be too much to handle.

I was looking at articles trying to find out how to pronounce his last name. Everyone calls him Jelly - can't tell if that's simply a nickname or the right pronunciation....

Reactions: musrat59
read something about him last night, said he lettered 3 times in baseball and 4 times in basketball in high school. But preferred baseball, and when they asked him about playing hoops - since he committed to UK I suppose it was an obvious question for a 6'11 kid - he said he didn't want to do that, would be too much to handle.

I was looking at articles trying to find out how to pronounce his last name. Everyone calls him Jelly - can't tell if that's simply a nickname or the right pronunciation....

Jelly is the correct pronunciation of his name and he is going to be something special once he adds some weight to his frame. Should become much stronger and a very imposing pitcher on the mound. Unfortunately for us, that probably won't take place until the next level but he is still something special even at the college level.

Very happy so many non baseball fans are getting to see how exciting baseball really is. Best playoff atmosphere by far, especially at tbe higher levels.

I think tbe reds destroyed some of you. 35% of kentucky are stl fans. Again, go cats and you're welcome to switch to stl at any time and see Kentucky's equal on the diamond. :)

Very happy so many non baseball fans are getting to see how exciting baseball really is. Best playoff atmosphere by far, especially at tbe higher levels.

I think tbe reds destroyed some of you. 35% of kentucky are stl fans. Again, go cats and you're welcome to switch to stl at any time and see Kentucky's equal on the diamond. :)

Yeah, the Reds just about killed my interest in baseball. Grew up a huge Reds fan, listening to games on the radio even. The last 20 yrs have been the most disappointing and frustrating years. Terrible coaching and upper management. Terrible on-field execution. Wasting talent like Griffey, Larkin, and Votto. The freaking Marlins win a WS, gut their organization and come back and win another one. But the Reds can't get out of their own way. Go up 2-0 on SF, winning those games on the road and then lose the next 3 at home. Pathetic.

So, how is that Keith Madison got to oversee 25 years of losing?

Madison is highly respected around UK baseball. I think you have to understand the obstacles that he faced in order to appreciate what he did. One of the biggest obstacles was that UK was/is a northern school. If you traditionally look at college baseball, almost no schools north of Tennessee have excellent baseball traditions. This was largely in part, to my understanding, because of the rules of college baseball. Until 2008 there was no actual uniform start date for college baseball. Even worse, was that many northern schools couldn't even get outside to practice until after the southern schools already began playing games. Everyone plays 56 games, and southern schools often stretched those out over about 16 weeks, which allowed them to play fewer midweek games. Northern schools would start the season later and have fewer weeks to get the games in and would have to play more midweek games. So, this to some degree created a disadvantage for northern schools. In 2008 they set a uniform start date and set forth the number of practices everyone could have. This has, IMO, really helped level the playing field and has helped teams like Kentucky, Louisville, Indiana, Michigan, and even the Oregon schools to become more competitive baseball teams. Further, with the advent of turf technology the northern schools are able to practice outside more frequently.

Despite the disadvantages faced by Madison, he won a lot of games at UK, and had us one game removed from going to the College World Series in the mid-1980s. So, He proved to be a pretty solid coach. However, I will say that he probably was here a bit longer than he needed to be. Still, he is a great ambassador for Kentucky.

Yeah, the Reds just about killed my interest in baseball. Grew up a huge Reds fan, listening to games on the radio even. The last 20 yrs have been the most disappointing and frustrating years. Terrible coaching and upper management. Terrible on-field execution. Wasting talent like Griffey, Larkin, and Votto. The freaking Marlins win a WS, gut their organization and come back and win another one. But the Reds can't get out of their own way. Go up 2-0 on SF, winning those games on the road and then lose the next 3 at home. Pathetic.

Yea man pretty brutal. I was raised on stl got lucky there. Grew up going to spring training in st. Pete. Still miss old bush. The reds are an interesting case. I grew up with a cardinal family on my dad's side in kentuxky. Never realized until i got older that most of the state was reds. Kind of a wtf moment for me at 13. Haha

You really need to tune into Neil Price on the radio (630 WLAP) for the call of the games. He is absolutely amazing. He is entertaining and knowledgeable, always good for a story and his excitement is extremely contagious. Listening to him adds a whole new element to watching or listening to the games. In fact, I first got hooked on UK baseball in the mid-2000s and I did it just tuning in and listening to Price on the radio (internet really, but still).

I think that he and Leach are the two best play-by-play guys in the entire country. I'd put them up against anyone in college sports.

Madison is highly respected around UK baseball. I think you have to understand the obstacles that he faced in order to appreciate what he did. One of the biggest obstacles was that UK was/is a northern school. If you traditionally look at college baseball, almost no schools north of Tennessee have excellent baseball traditions. This was largely in part, to my understanding, because of the rules of college baseball. Until 2008 there was no actual uniform start date for college baseball. Even worse, was that many northern schools couldn't even get outside to practice until after the southern schools already began playing games. Everyone plays 56 games, and southern schools often stretched those out over about 16 weeks, which allowed them to play fewer midweek games. Northern schools would start the season later and have fewer weeks to get the games in and would have to play more midweek games. So, this to some degree created a disadvantage for northern schools. In 2008 they set a uniform start date and set forth the number of practices everyone could have. This has, IMO, really helped level the playing field and has helped teams like Kentucky, Louisville, Indiana, Michigan, and even the Oregon schools to become more competitive baseball teams. Further, with the advent of turf technology the northern schools are able to practice outside more frequently.

Despite the disadvantages faced by Madison, he won a lot of games at UK, and had us one game removed from going to the College World Series in the mid-1980s. So, He proved to be a pretty solid coach. However, I will say that he probably was here a bit longer than he needed to be. Still, he is a great ambassador for Kentucky.

Madison was a great guy. I went to a double header against Indiana years ago. Me and my father were just about the only ones there lol. We walked down and met him in the dugout. He gave me the kentucky Jersey off of his back, literally. Still have it, one of my favorite pieces. Pimo ass Jersey.

People dont Seem to understand how tbis works. Kentuxky has resources today they simply didn't have back then. Winning in the SEC is easier than it's ever been for Kentucky in all sports. These tv and apparel deals were huge. The rules changed helped a lot as well.

Most of these prospects don't want to try and make a name for themselves in cold weather. People just don't understand the game of baseball except baseball people I guess.

Reactions: musrat59

I don't agree about the baseball playoff atmosphere being the best, I've been at the last four Predator games and they have been CRAZY.

I do agree about the Reds though. The Reds have warped things for me. They were so fun as a kid (I'm 39 so I didn't get to see the Big Red Machine). Eric Davis was the man. I don't think I could actually switch to St. Louis but I'm considering it I guess.

Reactions: morgousky
I don't agree about the baseball playoff atmosphere being the best, I've been at the last four Predator games and they have been CRAZY.

I do agree about the Reds though. The Reds have warped things for me. They were so fun as a kid (I'm 39 so I didn't get to see the Big Red Machine). Eric Davis was the man. I don't think I could actually switch to St. Louis but I'm considering it I guess.

I go to blues games and have been to hockey playoffs. Very cool. I guess for me st. Louis has so much tradition and such that I gets the fans into it. The pujols era in the playoffs were the bomb.

I've converted a few fans that are friends of mine. Get to Busch for a few games. It usually does the trick :)

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
I go to blues games and have been to hockey playoffs. Very cool. I guess for me st. Louis has so much tradition and such that I gets the fans into it. The pujols era in the playoffs were the bomb.

I've converted a few fans that are friends of mine. Get to Busch for a few games. It usually does the trick :)
All Cardinals are the enemy....

Hard core Reds fan. But I do respect the St Louis franchise. Been to a dozen games there, but always as the enemy. Stan the Man...I saw him in Crosley and in Busch (the old Sportsman Park).

Reactions: morgousky
All Cardinals are the enemy....

You are confusing the real cardinals with the state probation college "the tards". Honest mistake.

Speaking of the tards, how do they make cardinal sht so ugly. Stl has the best unis in baseball. Louisville has a retarded looking cartoon bird with half aids.

I've always loved baseball, but I will never, ever, ever, switch to St Louis. Eff that. The environment was awesome last night. I feel bad for the Left Fielder though; the people in the outfield stands were giving it him, nothing heinous, mostly funny. Putting Hjelle in was a brilliant move.

Hard core Reds fan. But I do respect the St Louis franchise. Been to a dozen games there, but always as the enemy. Stan the Man...I saw him in Crosley and in Busch (the old Sportsman Park).

Grew up in the 90's never got to see STAN but hes a God in stl. Ozzie was my guy, (and Seattle griffey)

Damn, the reds ruined my favorite player of my youth. You guys......damn. :)

Reactions: uky8unc5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT