ADVERTISEMENT

Now Cal is shameless for recruiting KAT

There was an AP tweet yesterday with a link, context said: Coach K adapts 1 and done with 3 NBA bound freshmen. LOL WAT

Sure, he had no affiliation with them except for his Dominican-born assistant coach, who had played for the DR national team, who he handed off the DR national team head coaching position to after he left.

This post was edited on 4/2 10:42 AM by ganner918

So I suppose that Cal's leading assistant, Orlando Antigua, didn't have any influence on Cal having taken the DR coaching position. What a dolt the columnist is!

Originally posted by Cats192:
There was an AP tweet yesterday with a link, context said: Coach K adapts 1 and done with 3 NBA bound freshmen. LOL WAT
K cant recruit like he used to either. He has to coach Team USA to get his 1ad. Unfair advantage and ruining basketball. K is over recruiting his current team with 1ad's. A lot of transfers lately just like Tom Crean. (murphy, Sulamon, Semi oje?, Michael Gbnilje).

8 kids on scholly right now - JO, JW, TJ ?, to nba - plumblee to the army - Cook is graduating
2 kids coming in Kennard and Jeter

GBB
This post was edited on 4/2 10:54 AM by reignof cats

SMH

You cannot stop people from being haters

I know that personally and I know that professionally and I know that from being a Kentucky alum and fan

So at what point does the author of that hit piece acknowledge that we had a Dominican assistant coach on our staff who probably DID know what a great talent Karl Towns is; and if he did, WHAT THE HELL DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE???

Not to offer him as justification for anything, because I despise the man, Shashevskee recruits the hell out of USA basketball's youth leagues and NOBODY is out there crying bloody murder about that

The cumulative knowledge of sixty years of my life informs me that you can't live your life doing what other people tell you to do and living by their rules and their biases

In short, Go To Hell hater, back to wherever you came and sulk about our success--it just feels so good to know you are butt-hurt

I'm not Duke or K fan, but all he's doing is what he has to. Using his clout with Team USA and the like to pull in top prospects? That's the business. Cal does it in his own way. There's a reason those are the top two going right now and could likely play for all the marbles with 15+ MCDAA's in the game Monday.

As typical of many articles there is some truth but how the writer slants the story is ridiculous. How anyone knows what is inside someone else's head is interesting but when you treat that belief as fact is more about the author than the subject. Cal coached the team...true. KAT was on that team....true. It gave Cal a recruiting advantage....true. That's the only facts. Why Cal coached the team....conjecture. KAT came to Kentucky because Cal coached that team......conjecture.

Bottom-line though, who cares. Let everyone criticize us for being the best program with the best recruits. How dare Kentucky be at the top of the pyramid.

Still waiting to hear the media call out Bobby Knight for recruiting Damon Bailey, as an 8th grader......

Crickets.

laugh.r191677.gif

I honest to God stopped reading after the headline and the caption on the picture. I love Towns but to say Kentucky wouldn't be in the Final Four without him is garbage. You could argue if he magically disappeared right before that ND game, then maybe. But if Towns didn't commit to Kentucky, we likely fill that void with another 5 start big man. And even if we didn't, Dakari would have filled the void, just like he did in last year's tournament (you know, when Kentucky made the FF without Towns) when WCS went down.

Originally posted by Samwise Ganjee:
SMH

You cannot stop people from being haters

I know that personally and I know that professionally and I know that from being a Kentucky alum and fan

So at what point does the author of that hit piece acknowledge that we had a Dominican assistant coach on our staff who probably DID know what a great talent Karl Towns is; and if he did, WHAT THE HELL DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE???

Not to offer him as justification for anything, because I despise the man, Shashevskee recruits the hell out of USA basketball's youth leagues and NOBODY is out there crying bloody murder about that

The cumulative knowledge of sixty years of my life informs me that you can't live your life doing what other people tell you to do and living by their rules and their biases

In short, Go To Hell hater, back to wherever you came and sulk about our success--it just feels so good to know you are butt-hurt
Sam, its...........CLUTTER!!!

Garbage. Might as well say that Coach K is unethical for coaching team USA. But of course no one says that, because it doesn't fit their agenda and previously drawn conclusions. The hate is strong out there, and there's nothing in the world that will anger them more than hoisting that title trophy on Monday.

What the hell do they think recruiting is? Are you only allowed to offer scholarships to guys if you went to high school with their parents or attend the same church

As someone who works in journalism, I always find this type of garbage comical. There is no such thing as reporting or writing anything without bias. This guy goes in with an opinion already formed and then tries to find ways to build on it to support his idiotic view. That is shameful.

The media always changes the narrative depending on who the person involved is, you know?

Typical... love how the guy is a complete coward about Coach K... inserts the 2 sentence "paragraph" and cites K doing so with not one, not two, but three of his final four players... just so he can say he addressed it as well - therefore he is credible.

UK got lucky in it's first 37 wins, but had to call on the secret weapon that was shamefully recruited to get win 38. No regard for strategy or adjustments during the game (Auguste 4 fouls). Or big shots by Arron Harrison or Ulis. No regard for the fact that UK stayed composed during that game - matched them shot for shot down to the end of the game - held them with a great defensive play by WCS that allowed UK to have the ball with the last 35 seconds....

How many games have been "won" my Okafor alone? Deduct his points and what is Duke's record? SOOO sick of the crappy "reporting" and double standard "journalism". Sorry I read it - won't happen again. POS article and logic by the writer.

*Raises hand* Duke fan here.

I gotta say that article is trash. Even if that was THE sole reason he coached that team/program (which I don't believe it was), why would that be looked down upon?? As if the guy needed help with recruiting or something.... Like some here have said, some people just look for any reason to down people when they are having success.

And yes, as a Duke fan. I DO believe Coach K uses Team USA to his advantage (why would he not??), and i don't think there is anything wrong with it.

Ricky O"Donnell ( the writer of the article) isn't a Cal hater tho.

Follow him on twitter. This was his tweets after the ND game.

Mar 28
That was 100% Towns. Calipari is still the GOAT for coaching the 2012 Dominican Republic national team.

Mar 28
I will never get over this. Cal coached the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC NATIONAL TEAM to get a player three years in the future. He is a king.

Originally posted by chevyman 50:

Someone should tell this nut case that Ky was in the Final Four last yr without Towns...
Did anyone mention if it was a violation to recruit that way? I don't think so, since he's still on the team....

The writer says that Cal is not the first coach to use coaching a national team for recruiting advantage, but he mentions K's name once, hidden in the body of the article, and uses Cal's name in the headline. No agenda here.

When is that writer going to rant about the time honored tradition of giving a recruit's father or high school coach a job in order to land the player?

the column was idiotic, there is no way around that

But did y'all read the comments AFTER? There are an awful lot of misinformed people - or, deliberately obtuse ones.

Next up, Cal raised millions of dollars for earthquake victims in Haiti because Nerlens Noel's parents migrated from there 25 years ago. He's clearly an evil genius.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

O'boro Cat posted on 4/2/2015...

When is that writer going to rant about the
time honored tradition of giving a recruit's father or high school
coach a job in order to land the player?
-___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't know when that will happen, but I agree that it shouldn't be allowed. I know several coaches who have done that, including a coach at UK. I just don't like it. jmho.

ADVERTISEMENT