ADVERTISEMENT

Nova Scotia/PEI/Cape Breton Island...I love hiking,

gollumcat

Senior
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Thinking about putting together a trip to that area. Thinking about 3 days Halifax, 2-3 each in PEI and Cape Breton. I like good hikes, good pubs, good beer and food, and good live music. Looks like this checks all the boxes.

Anybody ever been or have any thoughts?

John, I figure you might have been there?

It's been a while since I've been to CBI - 48-49 years. As one might expect, pretty desolate. Looking out to sea from northern tip, felt like the end of the earth. Fairly hilly, somewhat rugged, but not like US West. Might try Maine's Baxter State Park. Assume you're familiar with Acadia.

I spent a combined 6 months in New Brunswick - specifically Moncton - but often flew into Halifax and drove over there. You need to either a) go there immediately or b) wait until next July.

Awesome place - great people - but damn it’s cold and dreary quite often.

Reactions: gollumcat
It's been a while since I've been to CBI - 48-49 years. As one might expect, pretty desolate. Looking out to sea from northern tip, felt like the end of the earth. Fairly hilly, somewhat rugged, but not like US West. Might try Maine's Baxter State Park. Assume you're familiar with Acadia.

Yep. Been to Acadia.

I spent a combined 6 months in New Brunswick - specifically Moncton - but often flew into Halifax and drove over there. You need to either a) go there immediately or b) wait until next July.

Awesome place - great people - but damn it’s cold and dreary quite often.

Yeah this would be for next summer.

• The entire area has great mussels, but frankly they aren’t that much better than you can get here. In fact, the best mussels I’ve ever had was at a La Coop in Louisville (unfortunately closed). Had mussels in Antwerp a few weeks ago and La Coop beat those too.
  • Shediac is the lobster capital of the world. Great lobster boils in the summer. The Acadians eat every part of the lobster except the shell - guts and all.
  • Moncton has some really nice pubs. St James Gate is awesome. Blueberry beer is a thing up there; it comes with blueberries floating in the beer.
  • Halifax was awesome. The song “Hello City” by Barenaked Ladies is about it.
  • If you can, go to St John’s (not St John). I didn’t go, but they said it’s the best place up there. It’s like an hour or so by plane from Halifax.
  • The tides are amazing in the bay of Fundy. They go up like 38 feet. Don’t get trapped at the bottom or you’ll drown.

Last edited:
Reactions: gollumcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT