ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame AD mentions interest in playing UK sometime in the future.

So, what are the chances of UK missing a bowl game with a 5-7 record, if we get too ambitious in scheduling? Have you checked our records the last 40 seasons? We've had lots of seasons with 5 wins . . . . . certainly more than one-in-a-thousand of them.

I'd much rather play 4 ooc weak sisters and be bowl eligible than play a P5 school and take a chance on not being eligible. If we make it to a bowl, we'll get our shot at a P5 school then. It never ceases to amaze me how people want to strengthen our ooc schedule. Why????? Each year, we have to play a conference schedule that is stronger than the vast majority of schedules in the country. I can see wanting variety, but adding strength to an already extremely difficult schedule is just not a smart thing to do.

For me, I'd want to strengthen our OOC due to UL becoming mediocre ALJ1 plus the fact that the SEC East has been so down the last few years. Going undefeated in conference, beating UL, and USM, and then losing to Alabama gives us no shot at the playoffs. Replacing USM with a program like ND in 6 years and UK still would have a great shot at making the playoffs if they were to go 12-1.

All in my completely worthless opinion as always.

No matter the schedule. Losing to Bama in the SEC championship game would likely knock us out even if we were undefeated to that point. Remember, a loss the first weekend of Dec is much worse than a loss any other time in the season,,,at least according to those who do the polls, etc,,,

Losing to Alabama in the SEC title game, but still having wins over ND, UL, UT, Florida, Georgia, USC, MS St, and whoever is the other West opponent in 6 years (Texas A&M?), would surely be enough for UK to make the playoffs at 12-1. Replacing ND with a program like Eastern Illinois could very well make the difference in that scenario.

Of course these are merely extreme "What if" type scenarios. If UL can remain a top 25 team, a program like Cincy or IU should be enough to outweigh the needing a program like ND scenario.

I just do not want to see UK have the miracle season. Win every game. Go to the SEC title game. Lose it. Then miss out on the playoffs due to overall SOS after playing a 6-6ish UL and 3 EKU type teams. I'd rather replace USM with a lower level P5ish team for now in a fertile recruiting ground (#1 choice = CINCINNATI, Others to consider that aren't in order, USM, IU, Purdue...) and increase the level of said P5 team based on the results UL puts up ALJ2-ALJ5. If UL takes a BIG slide, as I predict, scheduling a team like ND, Michigan St, Georgia Tech, WVU, or Miami makes a lot of sense to me as long as UK's success level continues to climb, as we have already seen since CMS took over the program.

I also think that scheduling Ohio on a 2 for 1 deal would be beneficial with UK's current recruiting in Ohio. An OOC of Year 1 = Ohio, UL, and @ Cincy, Year 2 = @ Ohio, @ UL, and Cincy, Year = 3 Ohio, UL, @ Cincy. With a cupcake added in like Akron, Miami (OH), Toledo, E. Michigan, etc. would be as good as I could possibly imagine for the immediate future, starting next season. Gives us at least 1 game in Ohio every year. That'd have to be appealing to all of the Ohio recruits that UK are going after over the next few seasons. Having 2 OOC road games once every 3 years is not ideal for the fans, but I think that having Ohio and UL one year and Cincy and UL both at home in another year would make up for that loss. Cincy and UL at home in addition to the SEC slate would sell more season tickets than UK ever has, if the winning continues along side a schedule like that.

ALJ = After Lamar Jackson.

All in my completely worthless opinion as always.

Last edited:
I'm all for UK vs ND... long as they don't bring all the priest to town for a home game.:cool2:

I like the idea. Plenty of FBS teams that have bolstered their records/ rankings in the last 20-25 years for beating a mediocre ND team. Whynot us?

Why schedule OOC games in Ohio? To keep our stronghold there before other teams like UT, Penn St, ND, Michigan St, Vs Tech, etc, start catching on to UKs recipe for success.

ADVERTISEMENT