ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame AD mentions interest in playing UK sometime in the future.

It would be good IMO, to play the Irish maybe 2 or 3 years down the road. Maybe could play them in Lucas Oil stadium, split the gate, and the profits. I am sure TV would pick that game up, and it would get the Cats in an even bigger spotlight !

Seeing that EVERY GAME is on tv...tv picking up the game isn't a stretch.
No on the neutral site idea. Home and home or nothing.

Personally I wouldn't look for this to happen for a minimum of 8-10 yrs down the road. UK isn't going to upgrade the schedule in terms of OOC difficulty until it has established itself as an upper tier SEC team.

I do like the idea of playing ND a few years down the road. However, rather than having to play ND every year, I wonder if we could work out some sort of rotation with ND and the other two major programs in Indiana (IU and Purdue). It would soften the difficulty of the schedule but still against P5 teams, and we'd also re-start the series with IU. Just brainstorming...and yes, we'd do this along with dropping UofLOL from the schedule. :)

(On the personal side, my dad went to ND for undergrad and UK for law school, so it'd be cool to play ND in that respect.)

I'd drop UL for them.

I am not sure that UK and UL have full control of that decision, it's part of rivalry weekend when all the SEC and ACC schools play their biggest rival. I really think UK should start looking to play another P5 team instead of 3 non P5 teams at least every 2 years or so. Doesn't have to be tOSU or Clemson, but someone like Indiana, Purdue, Wake Forest. I don't think anyone here feels UK can't beat all those programs and it would look much better on your resume come bowl time and could be the difference between a Florida bowl or one somewhere else.

Well, if ND would simply pony up and REALLY become a part of the ACC we could rotate U. of L. and ND as part of Rivalry weekend.

This might be what the Irish AD is thinking . . . . better for them than going home-and-home with Bama.

It would be good IMO, to play the Irish maybe 2 or 3 years down the road. Maybe could play them in Lucas Oil stadium, split the gate, and the profits. I am sure TV would pick that game up, and it would get the Cats in an even bigger spotlight !

I hate that idea. If we were to play ND, I want to go on a road trip to South Bend. Would also be cool to see the Irish roll into CWS. They don't travel like the SEC teams do in general, but I'd imagine a bunch of them would head down to UK for a game.

I am not sure that UK and UL have full control of that decision, it's part of rivalry weekend when all the SEC and ACC schools play their biggest rival. I really think UK should start looking to play another P5 team instead of 3 non P5 teams at least every 2 years or so. Doesn't have to be tOSU or Clemson, but someone like Indiana, Purdue, Wake Forest. I don't think anyone here feels UK can't beat all those programs and it would look much better on your resume come bowl time and could be the difference between a Florida bowl or one somewhere else.
I would take any of IU, Purdue or WF over an away game at So. Miss this year. If UK wins: well you should have, UK loses: lol Conference USA. Perception wise there's nothing to be gained from playing really good mid major teams at their place. I understand it's because of some scheduling difficulties but I hope it never happens again.

And you're right UL isn't going anywhere, I don't know why that's ever even brought up. Some posters let their hatred get the best of em I suppose. They are our biggest rival and are a competitive team every year in a major conference. They fit perfectly in the SEC v ACC narrative.

I understand the sentiment, but we aren't georgia. Historically, we're about .500 against indiana. I think we could beat purdue and wake forest more often than not, but a loss to either of those teams would be an absolute killer when then staring at an SEC schedule.

I would take any of IU, Purdue or WF over an away game at So. Miss this year. If UK wins: well you should have, UK loses: lol Conference USA. Perception wise there's nothing to be gained from playing really good mid major teams at their place. I understand it's because of some scheduling difficulties but I hope it never happens again.

And you're right UL isn't going anywhere, I don't know why that's ever even brought up. Some posters let their hatred get the best of em I suppose. They are our biggest rival and are a competitive team every year in a major conference. They fit perfectly in the SEC v ACC narrative.

It's brought up b/c they're a trash school and program from top to bottom. I don't hold any particular hope that UK will end the series (though I would prefer it), but as we've always said, we should what's best for UK. If UK can get a series against ND and it means dropping the UL series for a few years, then so be it.

Reactions: JDHoss and blubo
I understand the sentiment, but we aren't georgia. Historically, we're about .500 against indiana. I think we could beat purdue and wake forest more often than not, but a loss to either of those teams would be an absolute killer when then staring at an SEC schedule.

I don't know why you feel UGA is such a power, we haven't exactly kicked butt and taken names the last few years. We are underdogs heading into ND this year. At best Indiana is a team standing still, I don't and I don't think you believe UK is standing still, a win against USM, EKU or EMU, what does that do for UK? You are suppose to win those games handily, I personally believe you should win a game against Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers, Wake, Kansas, and quiite a few more P5 teams that look much better on a resume than a win over EKU regardless of the score. If its a 2 score game, it can actually hurt you against the mid majors. If you want to recruit and play with the big dogs of college football at some point you have to jump in with both feet. Until someone in the SEC East actually starts to take control of it, there are no big games involving 2 SEC East teams in the grand scale of things. There is no Bama/LSU, Mich/tOSU.

I do understand trying to get your program started forward and not hurting your chances by scheduling teams you probably can't win against, but it would suck to win the SEC and get left out of the playoffs because you had 3 mid majors on your schedule is all I am saying.

but it would suck to win the SEC and get left out of the playoffs because you had 3 mid majors on your schedule is all I am saying.

Well, if we got to Atlanta with at least an 11 win record, by some series of miracles, and then if we beat Bama, by a series of miracles, I think we might sneak into the playoffs anyhow.

But you gotta' walk before you run.

You ask rhetorically what a win against the weak sisters provides us?

Well, those weak sister games last season gave us just enough cushion to sustain the loss to USM, and still get 7 wins for a respectable bowl.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
Well, if we got to Atlanta with at least an 11 win record, by some series of miracles, and then if we beat Bama, by a series of miracles, I think we might sneak into the playoffs anyhow.

But you gotta' walk before you run.

You ask rhetorically what a win against the weak sisters provides us?

Well, those weak sister games last season gave us just enough cushion to sustain the loss to USM, and still get 7 wins for a respectable bowl.

Only if Bama was 12-0 and even then they might still get in ahead of you, see PSU and tOSU last year. They rode that big win over OU all the way to the playoffs. But fair enough, I think you beat the brakes off those P5 teams I mentioned this and last year, but I can see it isn't something you are interested in doing.

Grumpy, I simply do not believe an SEC Championship team will be snubbed for the 4 team playoff, given that the SEC has won more than half the national titles since the BCS era began in 98/99. To get to your presumed quandry, we have to simply sweep our SEC opponents, or lose just one, and then (presumably) take out Bama.

We last went undefeated in the SEC in 1977.

While I can hope for miracles, I really hope that we can win 8 regular season games for the first time since 1984, sustain our momentum, and within a season or three, reconsider your point.

And in Louisville, we have one good P5 opponent, outside of the SEC.

It's brought up b/c they're a trash school and program from top to bottom. I don't hold any particular hope that UK will end the series (though I would prefer it), but as we've always said, we should what's best for UK. If UK can get a series against ND and it means dropping the UL series for a few years, then so be it.
I don't necessarily disagree with you about the practices of their athletic department. But I'm of the opinion that as long as they have a program UK should play them. Nothing sweeter than hearing Cardinals cry after the Wildcats maul them. And I think it is the best thing for UK. There will always be more interest from casual fans for the UL game than there would be any other ooc opponent, ND included, unless it's a top 5 type of matchup (which UL very well could be by game time). So, overall fan satisfaction, ticket sales, general hype and tradition says that UL will and should remain the opponent on rivalry week.

Besides I'm wanting to see a little win streak get going. Can you imagine how exasperated Petrino would be coming into Commonwealth with a 3 game losing streak to the Cats lol? I really need to see this. The look of shock and despair on his face after the win last year was priceless.

I do understand trying to get your program started forward and not hurting your chances by scheduling teams you probably can't win against, but it would suck to win the SEC and get left out of the playoffs because you had 3 mid majors on your schedule is all I am saying.

Alabama is playing Fresno St. Co.St and Mercer. not sure, but don't think they would be left out of the playoffs because of 3 mid majors.

Don't reference the past (with all due respect) UK is building toward something special the vast majority of us could only fantasize over our beverage of choice.

Notre Dame would be an interesting opponent. The very fact they would even consider us tells us we are headed in the right direction. If we can continue recruiting the way we are and making improvements on the field, a UK vs. Notre Dame match-up could draw very good TV ratings on a national level in a year or two. People love watching two good teams go at it. In fact, such a game might make for one of those early season marquee games.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
I'm against it. Freeze them out. with the sweetheart deal they got from the BCS, I hope no team from a power 5 conf plays them. the want to run with the big dogs, jump in a conf., and share some of that TV money, and earn a bid to the BCS, not be handed one.

I hate that idea. If we were to play ND, I want to go on a road trip to South Bend. Would also be cool to see the Irish roll into CWS. They don't travel like the SEC teams do in general, but I'd imagine a bunch of them would head down to UK for a game.
Actually they do travel like SEC teams, they have a lot of ' Subway/Honorary alumni '. If they can't play Arky till 2020 and 2025, they probably don't have a lot of wiggle room on their schedule. One game at a neutral site would probably be more doable.

Don't reference the past (with all due respect) UK is building toward something special the vast majority of us could only fantasize over our beverage of choice.

That's exactly what I am saying, UK doesn't have to play 3 mid majors every year now.

Alabama is playing Fresno St. Co.St and Mercer. not sure, but don't think they would be left out of the playoffs because of 3 mid majors.

They are also playing FSU. But Bama has earned their benefit of the doubt, A 1 loss Bama team will get in the playoffs over most if not all 1 loss SEC champions

Grumpy, I simply do not believe an SEC Championship team will be snubbed for the 4 team playoff, given that the SEC has won more than half the national titles since the BCS era began in 98/99. To get to your presumed quandry, we have to simply sweep our SEC opponents, or lose just one, and then (presumably) take out Bama.

We last went undefeated in the SEC in 1977.

While I can hope for miracles, I really hope that we can win 8 regular season games for the first time since 1984, sustain our momentum, and within a season or three, reconsider your point.

And in Louisville, we have one good P5 opponent, outside of the SEC.

I bet PSU thought the same last season about the Big10 champion. As a fan, had you rather watch UK beat Indiana than a directional school? I just feel UK has progressed pass the point of scheduling the 3 mid majors every year and bring in a P5 team to help build the brand. It would be a small reward for fans sticking through the tough times.

I'm against it. Freeze them out. with the sweetheart deal they got from the BCS, I hope no team from a power 5 conf plays them. the want to run with the big dogs, jump in a conf., and share some of that TV money, and earn a bid to the BCS, not be handed one.

Sorry to disappoint but ND plays 9 P-5 opponents this season. ND has never played an FCS opponent. Since I was born, raised, educated, and live in Kentucky; I would love seeing ND play at beautiful CWS. I could think of nothing finer than these old eyes watching BIG BLUE play at Notre Dame Stadium--the House that Rockne Built. I hope it happens.

Outside of UL, UT, and a handful of others (Ohio St), there's not a team out there that I would want to beat more than Notre Dame. Absolutely hate hate hate them

That will happen when the program is on stable ground and has established itself as having moved up a few steps on the CFB ladder and is not worried about getting bowl eligible. Personally though I would like to see the SEC and the P5 come to an agreement to drop all FCS games and to schedule a minimum of 2 P5 OOC games every year. That or go to a 10 game conference schedule.

Of course the losers in that would be the non P5 schools because many of them rely on the revenue from P5 games to fund their programs.

As for UL... that game isn't going anywhere.

I don't know why you feel UGA is such a power, we haven't exactly kicked butt and taken names the last few years. We are underdogs heading into ND this year. At best Indiana is a team standing still, I don't and I don't think you believe UK is standing still, a win against USM, EKU or EMU, what does that do for UK? You are suppose to win those games handily, I personally believe you should win a game against Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers, Wake, Kansas, and quiite a few more P5 teams that look much better on a resume than a win over EKU regardless of the score. If its a 2 score game, it can actually hurt you against the mid majors. If you want to recruit and play with the big dogs of college football at some point you have to jump in with both feet. Until someone in the SEC East actually starts to take control of it, there are no big games involving 2 SEC East teams in the grand scale of things. There is no Bama/LSU, Mich/tOSU.

Understood, I'm just pointing out that UK is nowhere near Georgia's level. Georgia leads the overall series between the schools 56-12-2. Georgia is arguably the most talent-rich state in the country (and it's no worse than fourth by anyone's measure). Georgia has no big in-state rival that competes head-on for the same talent (Ga Tech is never on Georgia's level from a recruiting standpoint, and they run a gimmick offense that rules out some of that talent anyway). Georgia is probably a top 15-18 program all-time. So, even though Georgia has underachieved, it's still several notches above UK when it comes to talent and results over any timeframe you'd like to discuss.

To Georgia's credit, you're regularly playing 2 FBS OOC teams each year (Ga Tech + one other; this year it's ND, but I know you've also done home and homes with Arizona State, Colorado, Clemson, and others).

You also don't generally worry about beating teams like Vandy, South Carolina, and Missouri on an annual basis and UK has had a hard time beating these teams over the years.

So, I would love to get to a point where a win over Indiana or Wake is an automatic, but I don't think we're there yet. Georgia, on the other hand, could assume that it would win 9 out of every ten games against teams like that.

Reactions: Wvvrn
I don't necessarily disagree with you about the practices of their athletic department. But I'm of the opinion that as long as they have a program UK should play them. Nothing sweeter than hearing Cardinals cry after the Wildcats maul them. And I think it is the best thing for UK. There will always be more interest from casual fans for the UL game than there would be any other ooc opponent, ND included, unless it's a top 5 type of matchup (which UL very well could be by game time). So, overall fan satisfaction, ticket sales, general hype and tradition says that UL will and should remain the opponent on rivalry week.

Besides I'm wanting to see a little win streak get going. Can you imagine how exasperated Petrino would be coming into Commonwealth with a 3 game losing streak to the Cats lol? I really need to see this. The look of shock and despair on his face after the win last year was priceless.

I understand and respect your viewpoint, I just don't share it. It's true that beating them is satisfying, but losing to them is galling and it isn't worth it to me.

We didn't play them for a long time, and I'm OK with not playing them again. I also disagree that UK fans would be more hyped to play UL than they would having ND roll into Commonwealth stadium.

Actually they do travel like SEC teams, they have a lot of ' Subway/Honorary alumni '. If they can't play Arky till 2020 and 2025, they probably don't have a lot of wiggle room on their schedule. One game at a neutral site would probably be more doable.

I know they have a lot of subway alumni that show up in big numbers when they play in Chicago or Yankee Stadium or Fenway, but I've been to road games when ND plays UT in Neyland or when ND plays LSU in Baton Rouge and they don't travel like Alabama or Tennessee or LSU or Georgia.

I understand and respect your viewpoint, I just don't share it. It's true that beating them is satisfying, but losing to them is galling and it isn't worth it to me.

We didn't play them for a long time, and I'm OK with not playing them again. I also disagree that UK fans would be more hyped to play UL than they would having ND roll into Commonwealth stadium.
Fair enough. A ND home game would be an event to be sure. How would you feel about a matchup with West Virginia? I feel like that could be a great rivalry if played on a somewhat regular basis. With the geographical and cultural ties it would be a fun game, especially for all the eastern KY hillbilly folks. Seems like a natural pairing to me. I'd love to get some regular FB/BB action against the Mountaineers. I'd rather see WV instead of renewing the IU series. Of course Cal and Huggy already have some history so that would add a little juice. VTech would be a cool one as well.

YES -I am dying to get to a game in South Bend- and the KY Catholics would be trying to figure out WTH to do on that day......it would be GLORIOUS

Fair enough. A ND home game would be an event to be sure. How would you feel about a matchup with West Virginia? I feel like that could be a great rivalry if played on a somewhat regular basis. With the geographical and cultural ties it would be a fun game, especially for all the eastern KY hillbilly folks. Seems like a natural pairing to me. I'd love to get some regular FB/BB action against the Mountaineers. I'd rather see WV instead of renewing the IU series. Of course Cal and Huggy already have some history so that would add a little juice. VTech would be a cool one as well.

Agreed, WVU or VT would be cool. At present, I'd say either of those games would be coin flips with maybe slight edge to the opponent (both of these teams have been "established" with better winning traditions and a winning mindset) based on where the teams enter 2017. I'd prefer home and home with either team over a neutral, but WVU in Cincy could be cool, or VT in DC or Tennessee. I'd be OK with a one-time neutral site game against either of those two than I would be with ND b/c I think a home and home with ND would be awesome.

Reactions: Wvvrn
YES -I am dying to get to a game in South Bend- and the KY Catholics would be trying to figure out WTH to do on that day......it would be GLORIOUS

LOL, yes, you're right. A lot of catholics in this state do favor ND as their second team (and sometimes their first). I'm a lapsed catholic, so I have no trouble deciding who my favorite team is (though I didn't have much trouble when I was a practicing catholic either!).

Reactions: BigBoyBlueMMA

We used to play IU but dropped that series to play the homeless little sisters of the poor and malnurished.

I just feel UK has progressed pass the point of scheduling the 3 mid majors every year and bring in a P5 team to help build the brand.

Grumpy, I will likely agree when we actually go undefeated against our mid major opponents, for, say, 2 or 3 seasons in a row.

I sat until the bitter end of the So. Miss game last year (when most of the stadium had emptied), wishing that UAB had not terminated their program, thence necessitating the USM game.

While I'm glad you view UK as having "progressed pass [ed] the point of scheduling 3 mid majors," you might be letting your UGA culture interfere with a realistic UK perspective.

We are 21 months removed from a miracle comeback against EKU at home, and 10 months removed from a loss to USM, that looked like it would derail the very progress you have (correctly) observed.

Remember, in all thoughts/comparisons you engage in here, we have a tough game each year in the conference that Georgia does not have . . . . we have to play Georgia, and Georgia doesn't.

And that is not a joke, as there have been seasons when UK's schedule strength ranked ahead of Georgia's, simply because of that fact.

At this point, the chances of missing the Playoffs, after an 11-1 season and a defeat of Bama, or other Western Monster, would rank as less than one-in-a-thousand-chance. The risk is minimal, and if it happened, UK would still be the talk of college football for having come so close, and getting screwed.

So, what are the chances of UK missing a bowl game with a 5-7 record, if we get too ambitious in scheduling? Have you checked our records the last 40 seasons? We've had lots of seasons with 5 wins . . . . . certainly more than one-in-a-thousand of them.

Last edited:
There are few programs we could play to get more pub out of it, but this program is not ready IMO. There are 3 programs in the SEC East which totally own UK, and have for 30 years. Until we prove that we can at least once in a blue moon beat one of Florida, Tennessee, or Georgia in my mind this program has absolutely no business looking for someone else to lose to. Our record against those 3 teams is beyond humiliating. There's really no word for it except owned. This program isn't going anywhere until we can beat one or two of those teams on some kind of regular basis. We've got two of them in Lex this year. Could it happen? Maybe, but I can't believe it until I see it.

Reactions: STUCKNBIG10
I 100% agree that USM needs to be replaced with a local P5 program. Not at NDs level yet, though. A home and home with Purdue or IU would be nice. A home and home with Cincy would be even better despite them not being P5 right now, due to recruiting. In about 6 years, if things continue at the current pace, a home and home with ND would be a great scheduling move, IMO.

Especially considering how much UL is going to start losing more and more. UL will soon again be more of a gimme type game. Especially in about 6 years. Addind ND at that type would be more than ideal.

In my completely worthless opinion as always.

Sorry to disappoint but ND plays 9 P-5 opponents this season. ND has never played an FCS opponent. Since I was born, raised, educated, and live in Kentucky; I would love seeing ND play at beautiful CWS. I could think of nothing finer than these old eyes watching BIG BLUE play at Notre Dame Stadium--the House that Rockne Built. I hope it happens.
..and I trust you would root for UK in that one?

ADVERTISEMENT