ADVERTISEMENT

Not many comments here on the officiating.

rabbitTown

Freshman
May 1, 2017
There were several times where I felt got screwed, but just as many where I felt we have got away with one.
That is to say... not good, but balanced.

Reactions: TheJuddDome
Worst call of the night was the whistle on Toppin for standing his ground when Wilson lowered his shoulder into him. Think the out of bounds play dunk commenced afterwards. Cals teams have to lead the nation in giving up points on underneath out of bounds plays.

Can't blame it on the refs when we had so many chances to win the game, but blew every chance we had.

The refs didn’t play Wheeler and Ware together and the refs didn’t refuse to play the most efficient lineup in cbb the entire first half.

There were a lot of missed fouls in the 1H especially. Like 2-3 possessions in a row i think they missed a foul on a livingston drive, missed a foul on a reeves drive, and called a weak and1 for KU. They were bad for both teams, but there was def a few “call it both ways” moments

They called a lot of fouls on Kansas. Can’t complain that they didn’t call more.

What was the old Pitino saying about, play rough they can’t call them all?

Reactions: JrandoUK
I have only watched the first half so far and I was pretty steamed at the officials. The Puerto Rican looking guy is awful and I cringe every time we get him. I think it’s Stephen Jackson. Could be wrong there. They missed 3 walks, 1 double dribble, and one palming violation plus numerous muggings on drives to the basket by our guys. The beating that Oscar takes under the basket is ridiculous and that shit needs to be called. I am not sure when they started allowing arm bars in the back but that needs to be stopped. This is supposed to be basketball and it’s this kind of shit that makes it so hard to watch anymore.

Cals teams have to lead the nation in giving up points on underneath out of bounds plays.
Yep. And also the fewest points scored on in bounds plays.

Doesn’t matter if we’re the ones inbounding the ball or defending, inbound plays have been a scourge for us the entire Cal era. It’s an area of the game where I can only assume Cal must spend very little attention to in practice.

It's about as good as you could hope for. Especially with Pat Adams in the game. Don't take this to mean I was happy with it. My bar is just super low.

I have only watched the first half so far and I was pretty steamed at the officials. The Puerto Rican looking guy is awful and I cringe every time we get him. I think it’s Stephen Jackson. Could be wrong there. They missed 3 walks, 1 double dribble, and one palming violation plus numerous muggings on drives to the basket by our guys. The beating that Oscar takes under the basket is ridiculous and that shit needs to be called. I am not sure when they started allowing arm bars in the back but that needs to be stopped. This is supposed to be basketball and it’s this kind of shit that makes it so hard to watch anymore.
The double dribble was blatant. I can't believe they missed it. The guy didn't have anybody to pass to so he started dribbling again.

They missed a walk once, maybe a double dribble once, and I remember Oscar getting knocked down pretty blatantly once. Other than that, not bad. That wasn’t what beat us.

Reactions: Benjamin2008
Officials have a huge say in who wins games, no matter what sport- athletes, IMO are so fast and stronger now that its hard to be an official- u could call a foul or a penalty on almost every play

The double dribble was blatant. I can't believe they missed it. The guy didn't have anybody to pass to so he started dribbling again.
That play reminded me of when I coached my kids’ teams in elementary school.

Even those refs called it on the poor kids.

There were several times where I felt got screwed, but just as many where I felt we have got away with one.
Officiating was OK the Cats actually shot more FT's than Kansas, UK just did not play well offensively after that first 10 minutes, to start the cats moved the ball and moved players got into the paint constantly then we went to more one on one stuff, stopped moving and did not pass the ball so well, end of story we got beat.

Adams admits there were ref screwups but also right in pointing out KU's best stepped up, UK's best didn't.

Reactions: EliteBlue
That play reminded me of when I coached my kids’ teams in elementary school.

Even those refs called it on the poor kids.
The ball was knocked out of his hands. You're allowed to dribble again. The ref was literally right there making the 'tipped pass" movement with his hands

The officiating was a disgrace the whole game.

But, with the way we are playing, hard to complain about bad officiating.
So the team that got called for way less fouls than the other, thinks the officiating was bad 😂
Cal was complaining and throwing his hands up EVERY single foul that was called, even though at one point in the 2nd half there was an 8-1 foul call discrepancy. Thats why uk had to foul multiple times at the end of the game to get to the line, ku wasnt even close to shooting 1&1s

So the team that got called for way less fouls than the other, thinks the officiating was bad 😂
Cal was complaining and throwing his hands up EVERY single foul that was called, even though at one point in the 2nd half there was an 8-1 foul call discrepancy. Thats why uk had to foul multiple times at the end of the game to get to the line, ku wasnt even close to shooting 1&1s
This is the way a lot of people think that don’t know much about the game. The number of fouls called on each team doesn’t always mean the officiating was bad one way or another. Many times it’s what is not called that determines things. And the timing of some calls can wreak havoc in game especially a close one.

Where's your buddy "Cleveland Steamer"?

BTW, that’s not how you spell trombone.

Sorry you are so challenged on reading comprehension.

What part of "The officiating was a disgrace the whole game" made you even think I was only talking about bad officiating for UK only??

You guys know all about cheating. Sorry you can't read a post correctly.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Worst call of the night was the whistle on Toppin for standing his ground when Wilson lowered his shoulder into him. Think the out of bounds play dunk commenced afterwards. Cals teams have to lead the nation in giving up points on underneath out of bounds plays.
That one was unbelievable. We were down 2 at that point. Seems the wheels fell off after that call. Got schooled on the inbounds immediately after, like you said.

Simply looking at the amount of fouls called on each team doesn't tell the officiating story. They were forced to foul Oscar.
They had no player that could overpower us. Also, the timing of bad calls is crucial.
Point is, we never get the home whistle teams like Kansas get.

Every touch out of the lane is a quick whistle. The big guys beat and shove each other constantly and the fouls are called with no consistency. SMH.

Every touch out of the lane is a quick whistle. The big guys beat and shove each other constantly and the fouls are called with no consistency. SMH.
Agreed... Something to watch going forward... there were minimally six times I counted Oscar in the lane for 6-8 seconds. It was so obvious that it's going to become a point for opposing coaches in the ear of officials.

About 90% of the college games I watch, whether UK is playing or not, are terribly officiated. I'm sure there are refs with an axe to grind with certain coaches, but most of the bad calls (or no calls) I see are because the game has become too fast and too physical for them.

Officiating is not why we lost, but there were 3 key plays late that kept us from taking a lead. All of these happened when we were 2-4 down and killed momentum

Oscar gets the ball down low and the guy limping hacks the cap out of him and they give them a steal.

Wilson's BLATANT offensive foul called on Toppin

Same play with Toppin on the limping guy again, this time it's a UK foul on the flop.

Adams admits there were ref screwups but also right in pointing out KU's best stepped up, UK's best didn't.

1. If you follow John Adams on Twitter he rarely criticizes officials. That's about as bad as it gets what he said. Again that's why there's no accountability cause guys like him constantly take up for the officials.

2. As it's been stated before number of fouls doesn't always tell the story. Timing, who it was on, and types of fouls. Kansas got a home whistle in Rupp. Name a team that gets a worse home whistle than we do? I'll wait. We get the same whistle whether we are in Rupp or on the road. There are very few teams that have to deal with that.

We can complain about the refs and Cal's bad coaching, together, you know.

Just because someone brings up the bad refs we consistently endure doesn't mean they're trying to deflect from Cal's poor job of coaching. Or place blame. We all know why we lost, but we also know the refs still sucked with their phantom calls, no calls, etc. It happens every game.

If only coaches and players could publicly express their annoyance with bad or no-calls like Lebron and the Lakers are right now. And last night, the refs responsible for that fiasco actually made a statement and admitted they were wrong. One of the Lakers also said "refs should get a fine for every bad call they make". Boy that would be refreshing.

I think other than the standard "Oscar getting mauled without a call" that happens every game the officials weren't as bad as they have been in other games. I just don't get how a reigning POY can get such horrible treatment from refs. Almost every time he touches the ball 2-3 guys are hacking and slapping and then they called a touch and 1 foul on him.

ADVERTISEMENT