ADVERTISEMENT

Not happy Blackshear didn’t follow him to TAMU?

As someone that used to cover the Hokies as a member of the local media a few years back, THIS is classic Buzz. A phenomenal basketball coach, in my opinion. His players would typically run through a brick wall for him, and he knows how to build a program from nothing. The media, however... it seems like he sees them as an enemy. Many a logical question has gotten an eye-rolly response. He's had a blue-collar upbringing and likes to keep that rough exterior to those not close to him. However, when you've made several million coaching a game, you ain't blue collar anymore. He forever has a huge chip on his shoulder that appeals well to players, but doesn't end up well for the local media. I stress local media because you see a different guy when he was on national TV on TNT during tourney halftimes a couple years ago.

Again, I think he's a great coach and has a good heart about him. Just doesn't show that side easily to the local reporters that aren't actually out to get him. Just my two cents!

I just have a feeling Blackshear is going to turn out to be a very good player, but not the transforming, balance-of-power changing star that we all assumed during the passionate pursuit of him last spring. There's a reason he's still in college.

Shocking a player wouldn’t want to spend his last college season with a rebuilding program and a coach he’s been with already.

Reactions: Cats192 and chroix
I just have a feeling Blackshear is going to turn out to be a very good player, but not the transforming, balance-of-power changing star that we all assumed during the passionate pursuit of him last spring. There's a reason he's still in college.
He's a below the rim type player. That is why he'll never be a high draft pick. But make no mistake he's a heckuva college player.

He will no doubt he a thorn in our ass.

Reactions: CalipariCapo
Like I said, he'll be a good to very good player. People were acting like he was Elvin Hayes (or at least Karl Anthony Towns) during the pursuit last spring. I was never positive he was a perfect fit for Kentucky, by the way. The best teams play to their strengths, and for the Cats that's guards and wings.

I think he’ll be one of the best players in the country. If he had come here, big men would be a strength.

He is the top center in the SEC but there are 10-12 better players IMO and at least 3 on UK in the league alone .

What I find kinda funny by our fickle fans is if you looked at Blackshears stats after his soph season not one person on this board would want him. His stats compared to Richards are pathetic and he averaged a whopping block a game even as a senior so no real rim protection. He is a solid big but far from a game changer

I think he’ll do well too. The egbunu guy they had a few years back was doing great until he got hurt. So it’s not as though white has never had a big guy do well under him.

That said he’s had tons of talent since he’s been at Florida and averages 13 losses a season. This is the highest they’ve been rated in the pre season but imo it’s far from his most talented roster.

They’re one of my picks to disappoint.

ADVERTISEMENT