ADVERTISEMENT

Not fair catching the short punt

Wrong .. it was a high punt . Happened directly in from of our seats . Guy just didn’t read it well .

Have to say that nearly cost us the game. Gave me a flashback from the special teams disasters of the past. Thankfully we pulled it out.

Reactions: Blueaz
Just a bad bounce. Way short punt that got an incredible bounce. Right call Especially after Ali dropped one.

20yard punt with a 28 yard roll. Retuned was inside 10 yard line. Should have been closer to the line of scrimmage for the punt. Ark was punting high and short all night. The punt gave Ark a short field after we had to punt from our end zone and allowed Ark to score it’s only points of the second half.

where is Mike Siganus(?) when you need him??!

Have to say that nearly cost us the game. Gave me a flashback from the special teams disasters of the past. Thankfully we pulled it out.
The follow up was three poor offense calls and then poor special teams coverage.
HOWEVER, same ol Kentucky did not show up and those guys put that pig on s stick.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
20yard punt with a 28 yard roll. Retuned was inside 10 yard line. Should have been closer to the line of scrimmage for the punt. Ark was punting high and short all night. The punt gave Ark a short field after we had to punt from our end zone and allowed Ark to score it’s only points of the second half.

where is Mike Siganus(?) when you need him??!
You put your heels on the five or ten. Depends on how staff teaches most have took this principal to the five as kickers get much better at how ball bounces.

You don’t start closer because you lose track of where you are on field and catch ball close to goaline.

the guy missed a punt, but got an unbelievable lucky bounce. I wish we caught it. But if returner can’t make a clean catch (feet set, under ball). You don’t take that risk. To much bad can happen of catching a punt on run.

Wrong .. it was a high punt . Happened directly in from of our seats . Guy just didn’t read it well .
Then I think you were too close to get the right perspective on how far in front of our returner the ball was. No way in h he should have raced up to try to catch it. I was in upper deck & could readily see the arc of the ball & the returner's location.

Reactions: Johnfarrel
Besides we were lucky to get a muff earlier in the game...at the time with the back spin the ball had though it would hit at 25 and come back...I was yelling Peter myself in the stands...very unlucky bounce for us is what happened.

If a punt is going to land on or around the 15 yard line you have to catch it. The one Ali dropped is one he looked like he was unsure of catching, he stooped down and his arms were out stretched to far from his body. We were lucky to get that one back, you have to be sure handed and catch the ball close to your body, it's not easy though.

I was in the upper deck at the 20 yard line — guy has to judge that better and run up. 10-15 yards and make the catch , at least on a pint that high . It was a high punt

Then I think you were too close to get the right perspective on how far in front of our returner the ball was. No way in h he should have raced up to try to catch it. I was in upper deck & could readily see the arc of the ball & the returner's location.
Ali was back around the ten, and the God-awful punt was high and and wobbly and came down around the twenty with Arkansas players all around it. It would have been hard to catch standing right under it.

That way to far to run on a fair catch. Just as likely to muff it as to catch it. Just got an unfortunate bounce.

Yeah I disagree some would take little effort to catch just move a couple of yards and catch it.

Yeah I disagree some would take little effort to catch just move a couple of yards and catch it.
Running up at full speed on a punt that is going to land 15+ yards in front of you in most cases in a big special teams no no. Especially if that punt is going to land in the middle of 5 coverage players which that one was. That was most definitely a “Peter” situation in which every coach in America would tell you to get away from. Again it just took an unfortunate bounce. Effort had nothing to do with it. It was significantly more than “just a couple yards”.

Reactions: BigTyrone
Running up at full speed on a punt that is going to land 15+ yards in front of you in most cases in a big special teams no no. Especially if that punt is going to land in the middle of 5 coverage players which that one was. That was most definitely a “Peter” situation in which every coach in America would tell you to get away from. Again it just took an unfortunate bounce. Effort had nothing to do with it. It was significantly more than “just a couple yards”.

Sorry but you’re pushing the truth, not all were 15 yards away. And those only shows that someone or the coaches didn’t do their homework if all the punts were short by 15 yards, it’s called move him up.

Sorry but you’re pushing the truth, not all were 15 yards away. And those only shows that someone or the coaches didn’t do their homework if all the punts were short by 15 yards, it’s called move him up.
All? This whole thread is about one single punt? The one that landed short. Many many yards in front of Ali and bounced significantly in favor of the punt team.

All? This whole thread is about one single punt? The one that landed short. Many many yards in front of Ali and bounced significantly in favor of the punt team.

Arkansas was punting high and short all night. The first punt fumble by Ali was because he was running up and reaching for the short punt

But it wasn’t the only problem, we are not fair catching any ball that is not right to us. That was my point, the short punt was just part of the problem. It’s seems our placement for where the returner to be should be adjusted by the coaches, too many bounces are making it inside the ten.

Reactions: Ugoff
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT