ADVERTISEMENT

Non P5 Hate Thread! In a Loving Way! And Best Nickname!

Deli owl

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2015
What non Power 5 program drives you crazy?

What non Power 5 Nickname do you like?

Cincinatti - Hate their fans when they are winning. Never hear from them if losing.

Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns - Love it

favorite topic of mine.

I don't really hate on any, but here are a few favs, in addition to the Rajun Cajuns (no particular order)

1) TCU Horned Frogs (so much better than a regular frog)
2) St. Louis Billikens (sounds cool)
3) Stanford Cardinal (wait, they're the cardinal, but their mascot is a friggin tree?)
4) Wichita State Shockers (again, just sounds cool)
5) UC Irvine Anteaters (Peter the anteater is their mascot, lol)
6) UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs (did the UC schools try to outdo each other with weirdest names?)
7) Not to be outdone, the Hilltoppers.....

I would love Transylvania if they would become the Vampires. I know that's probably derogatory to Vampires everywhere but I love it. :fistbump:

favorite topic of mine.

I don't really hate on any, but here are a few favs, in addition to the Rajun Cajuns (no particular order)

3) Stanford Cardinal (wait, they're the cardinal, but their mascot is a friggin tree?)
6) UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs (did the UC schools try to outdo each other with weirdest names?)

I remember when we played St. Louis a few years back and I realized I didn't know what a Billiken was. Looked it up and it's basically like a gremlin.

Some team needs to adopt the Sasquatch as their mascot. Would instantly become my second favorite team.

Cincy is a good one. UConn, and because nobody else has the stones to call them out, UT Rio Grande Valley. Stay in your lane Vaqueros, stay in your lane.

Oh, and best nickname has got to be the Oral Roberts Fightin' BJs.

favorite topic of mine.

I believe Stanford's "Cardinal" nickname/mascot is referring to the Cardinal tree and not the bird.

*Edit to add that I was somewhat wrong (not uncommon) in that the reference to Cardinal is actually a reference to the Cardinal
color and not tree; the tree just being the mascot.

Last edited:
I remember when we played St. Louis a few years back and I realized I didn't know what a Billiken was. Looked it up and it's basically like a gremlin.

Some team needs to adopt the Sasquatch as their mascot. Would instantly become my second favorite team.

The Billiken nickname/mascot actually derived from a child's toy that debuted during the World Fair in Saint Louis (I think this is correct).

*I am by no means a mascot expert, I've just always been interested in the topic.

They are no longer in the Summit League and have now dropped into DIII, but the Centenary (LA) Gentlemen is an interesting name. The great Robert Parish is their most famous alum and Larry Robinson played for 8 different NBA teams and spent time overseas in a nice 14 year career.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT