ADVERTISEMENT

No wonder Boston beat the 76ers, Ben Simmons is as soft as can be

Simmons is talented but he has no heart. He's a money guy, couldn't care less about wins. He will never win anything meaningful.
Definitely not the same play style but reminds me of a post Denver, Carmelo Anthony. No heart, chasing money, doesn't really care about team success. Some players would give all the stats in the world to have a title. Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Reggie Miller, etc. Others such as Melo, Simmons, etc. Would choose individual careers first.

I don't think him acknowledging that somewhere is a rough crowd means it bothered him or is why they lost.

They lost because they're not very good yet, their two best players are completely inexperienced, their coach isn't very good yet, and Brad Stevens took apart their one way they can beat you.

Every young team has to take their lumps in the playoffs before they can be real contenders.It isn't a permanent indictment, it's a growing process.

Weird how people act like your a bum if you're not LeBron or Steph Curry. Simmons is a great talent. He has only touched the surface of what he can be. If Rondo can morph himself into a respectable three point shooter so can Ben.

I don't think him acknowledging that somewhere is a rough crowd means it bothered him or is why they lost.

They lost because they're not very good yet, their two best players are completely inexperienced, their coach isn't very good yet, and Brad Stevens took apart their one way they can beat you.

Every young team has to take their lumps in the playoffs before they can be real contenders.It isn't a permanent indictment, it's a growing process.
Thats certainly possible. It is equally possible that Simmons is an intolerable, whiny, entitled brat.

Definitely not the same play style but reminds me of a post Denver, Carmelo Anthony. No heart, chasing money, doesn't really care about team success. Some players would give all the stats in the world to have a title. Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Reggie Miller, etc. Others such as Melo, Simmons, etc. Would choose individual careers first.
I dunno about that comparison. He plays defense and gets his teammates involved and isnt even in a position to chase money yet. He's just 21 and has a fatal flaw in his game. He just needs a shooting coaching and to spend 90% of his offseason fixing his shot.

Reactions: dvillecatfan
I dunno about that comparison. He plays defense and gets his teammates involved and isnt even in a position to chase money yet. He's just 21 and has a fatal flaw in his game. He just needs a shooting coaching and to spend 90% of his offseason fixing his shot.
While I completely agree with your assessment, Melo was also like this for 90% of his time in Denver. I actually thought he had a chance to be better than LBJ just because of how effortlessly Melo could score and grab boards. He was always a mismatch no matter who guarded him in some way. But after a while it seems like he got complacent with what he accomplished and didn't want to put work in. He became fat and one dimensional. I'm just implying I could see Simmons take the same road based on his efforts at LSU and some of his comments playing in the league. It seems he lacks a killer instinct of some sort.

Ben Simmons problem is he can’t shoot.

His problem isn’t heart or anything like that right now . Philadelphia has sucked for awhile and made it to the second round this year and he was clearly a big reason why

Ran into a bad match-up. First playoffs for him and he went against a GENIUS coach. He didn't even play in the NCAA tournament in 2016...so this is his first real experience with playoff basketball at a high level.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Ben Simmons problem is he can’t shoot.

His problem isn’t heart or anything like that right now . Philadelphia has sucked for awhile and made it to the second round this year and he was clearly a big reason why

Simmons showed who he is at LSU.

Reactions: seccats04
Thats certainly possible. It is equally possible that Simmons is an intolerable, whiny, entitled brat.

I wouldn't say equally possible or anywhere near that. We have decades of evidence of what I said, even among "legendary" competitors like Michael Jordan. You have to take your lumps.

The Sixers took some of their lumps. If the management goes in the right direction and everyone stays healthy, they'll go a bit deeper next year, lose again, and then be one move away from being a real contender. They're about a year ahead of schedule, and that's with Fultz's bizarre injury situation.

None of their performance is an indictment on Ben Simmons. He led that team as a rookie this year and the respected vets fell in line. That doesn't happen if you're Austin Rivers.

While I completely agree with your assessment, Melo was also like this for 90% of his time in Denver. I actually thought he had a chance to be better than LBJ just because of how effortlessly Melo could score and grab boards. He was always a mismatch no matter who guarded him in some way. But after a while it seems like he got complacent with what he accomplished and didn't want to put work in. He became fat and one dimensional. I'm just implying I could see Simmons take the same road based on his efforts at LSU and some of his comments playing in the league. It seems he lacks a killer instinct of some sort.
I prolly have an irrational hatred for Melo. Absolutely hate his game and the hype that surrounded him.

I understand your point and would agree with most of what you say except that the Celtics were playing without their two best players and Brown was out in game one and maybe game 2 (or very limited anyway) and Philly was favored in the series. I'll give you that Stevens is a genius as a coach but this is a series Philly should have won, experienced or not, or at least won more than one game. Whatcha think?

Not ready to give up on Simmons yet. I will wait a couple more years before I pass judgement. He needs to get mentally tougher but that is not uncommon with 20 year olds. Has some holes in his game that he has been able to hide with his gifts. Must close those holes to become a great player

Simmons made great plays when it didn't matter and no plays or bad plays when it did (especially in game 3, but also last night). I don't know if that is just lack of heart, inexperience, or nerves. But Jayson Tatum totally outplayed him in this series, with a lot less experience. Tatum also did not make a 3 last night, but scored with an array of moves and shots that Simmons just can't make yet. Seems to just have a higher basketball IQ and a higher ceiling than Simmons.

But I also think Brett Brown is still figuring out what works and what doesn't with Simmons. He is trying to invent a new sort of position for him. It worked for much of the season but not against a great defensive team that dared him to shoot. would not write him off at this point.

Simmons made great plays when it didn't matter and no plays or bad plays when it did (especially in game 3, but also last night). I don't know if that is just lack of heart, inexperience, or nerves. But Jayson Tatum totally outplayed him in this series, with a lot less experience. Tatum also did not make a 3 last night, but scored with an array of moves and shots that Simmons just can't make yet. Seems to just have a higher basketball IQ and a higher ceiling than Simmons.

But I also think Brett Brown is still figuring out what works and what doesn't with Simmons. He is trying to invent a new sort of position for him. It worked for much of the season but not against a great defensive team that dared him to shoot. would not write him off at this point.

Tatum has a lot less experience than Simmons?

I understand your point and would agree with most of what you say except that the Celtics were playing without their two best players and Brown was out in game one and maybe game 2 (or very limited anyway) and Philly was favored in the series. I'll give you that Stevens is a genius as a coach but this is a series Philly should have won, experienced or not, or at least won more than one game. Whatcha think?

The general public couldn't pick their coach out of a lineup, and it showed in two late game situations that Philly should have won.

I agree that with who they had healthy, the Sixers were more talented. And I agree that Simmons and Embiid both have to play better. No argument there.

But I've seen better players than both of those guys get their ass kicked as inexperienced players in the playoffs. Durant, Westbrook and Jeff Green won 50 games and then got obliterated by the Lakers in the first round. Just how it goes.

He always came off as an A-hole to me.......... After we beat LSU,during the post game interview they asked him, what makes Tyler Ulis so good? his reply was " if you touch him its a foul " even though he shot the most free throws that game.

Reactions: oldfanofuk
Tatum has a lot less experience than Simmons?

Simmons is two years older than Tatum, and he spent last year practicing with the team and working out with pro trainers. He wasn't actually hurt or rehabbing from his injury most of the year, he was held out so they could tank again and get Fultz. Tatum spent a year standing around at Duke watching Grayson Allen take all the shots. He just turned 20.

Reactions: anon_leeghhkp6kfu6
Simmons is two years older than Tatum, and he spent last year practicing with the team and working out with pro trainers. He wasn't actually hurt or rehabbing from his injury most of the year, he was held out so they could tank again and get Fultz. Tatum spent a year standing around at Duke watching Grayson Allen take all the shots. He just turned 20.

Okay, regardless of why he was held out, they still each played their first real NBA game this season. He’s roughly a year and a half older. Tatum attempted more shots than Allen. Not sure that equates to “a lot less experience”, but we’ll agree to disagree.

ADVERTISEMENT