ADVERTISEMENT

No surprises in UK O problems vs. Mizzou

CakeEater

Freshman
Jul 4, 2001
Mizzou was able to stop the run game due to their stunting DLs & LBs AND their stud safety trailing Wilson successfully.
Go back two years to our BIG win 15-14 and Snell was unable to run then either. The last series that resulted in the win included to great catches by a walk-on WR to even reach midfield - I forget his name. Without the punt return by Bowden, we only had a TD and FG, just like this year.

Two years ago, we stopped their O with Drew Lock without a first down for eight straight series - that was our 10-3 team. This team is good, but not good enough against Mizzou last night. Especially without Q. I was impressed by our defense's play, but they could not get off the field.

All that being said, they got an extra 6 points and we missed Bowden's punt return

Mizzou was able to stop the run game due to their stunting DLs & LBs AND their stud safety trailing Wilson successfully.
Go back two years to our BIG win 15-14 and Snell was unable to run then either. The last series that resulted in the win included to great catches by a walk-on WR to even reach midfield - I forget his name. Without the punt return by Bowden, we only had a TD and FG, just like this year.

Two years ago, we stopped their O with Drew Lock without a first down for eight straight series - that was our 10-3 team. This team is good, but not good enough against Mizzou last night. Especially without Q. I was impressed by our defense's play, but they could not get off the field.

All that being said, they got an extra 6 points and we missed Bowden's punt return
Missouri also converted a couple of fourth downs by a hair to keep drives alive.

you were impressed with our defensive play but then say we couldn’t get off the field? Defense was hardly impressive, at least the secondary anyway. Most passes were completed without a defender within 5-7 yards. Only thing impressive was we somehow only gave up 20 points but overall I thought the whole team stunk including the defense.

you were impressed with our defensive play but then say we couldn’t get off the field? Defense was hardly impressive, at least the secondary anyway. Most passes were completed without a defender within 5-7 yards. Only thing impressive was we somehow only gave up 20 points but overall I thought the whole team stunk including the defense.
True - they gave up 20 points in 40 minutes of play.
Also true, if O had 30 minutes of play, we might have won. And considering the points Mizzou put up on LSU, our defense played well, just not as well as our 10-3 team two years ago - as I stated.
All in all, with 40 minutes on the field, our defense played well, but just not good enough when forced to stay on the field that long. And the coaches may have been willing to give up 5 yds receptions to avoid the long ball. To their credit, MIzzou did not bite and try to force the ball into coverage.

True - they gave up 20 points in 40 minutes of play.
Also true, if O had 30 minutes of play, we might have won. And considering the points Mizzou put up on LSU, our defense played well, just not as well as our 10-3 team two years ago - as I stated.
All in all, with 40 minutes on the field, our defense played well, but just not good enough when forced to stay on the field that long. And the coaches may have been willing to give up 5 yds receptions to avoid the long ball. To their credit, MIzzou did not bite and try to force the ball into coverage.

while the offense was a big reason the defense was on the field so long the defense was also to blame. thev3rd quarter started with a fresh defense on the field that preceded to give up a 22 play drive that covered around 9 minutes if I recall. Being scared to give up the long ball is playing not to lose. You can’t give up 5-7 yard passes on every down and expect to stop the other team. We gave up 6 yard pass plays on 4th and 5 to players wide open. Whether execution or gameplan or both it was a poor performance all the way around. Probably the worst of stoops tenure, up there anyway.

Mizzou knew we were not going to throw the ball very much. If a team knows you are one-dimensional, as we are, then it isn't to hard to plan how to defense you. This is true in any sport, football, basketball, soccer, etc. Until we get away from the 60's type of football, were going to continue to struggle. Oh sure, we will beat the Cup Cakes, just on talent alone. However, we will not beat the middle, to lower SEC teams with any consistency, until we get an offense that isn't one-dimensional. I know, some of you will say, look at what we did last year. I say, "Did we beat Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn or even Florida, who has been, and still is, down. UK, USC, Mizzou, Vandy, TA&M, Ole Miss, Miss State and Tenn. are all in the same category at this time. If you bring your "A" game you can beat them, if not, as we just saw, you will lose. The other 5, we may beat them every now and then. Like the old saying, "A blind hog will find an acorn every now and then."

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: UKat1
Mizzou knew we were not going to throw the ball very much. If a team knows you are one-dimensional, as we are, then it isn't to hard to plan how to defense you. This is true in any sport, football, basketball, soccer, etc. Until we get away from the 60's type of football, were going to continue to struggle. Oh sure, we will beat the Cup Cakes, just on talent alone. However, we will not beat the middle, to lower SEC teams with any consistency, until we get an offense that isn't one-dimensional. I know, some of you will say, look at what we did last year. I say, "Did we beat Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn or even Florida, who has been, and still is, down. UK, USC, Mizzou, Vandy, TA&M, Ole Miss, Miss State and Tenn. are all in the same category at this time. If you bring your "A" game you can beat them, if not, as we just saw, you will lose. The other 5, we may beat them every now and then. Like the old saying, "A blind hog will find an acorn every now and then."

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
It's not that MO knew we WOULDN'T throw the ball. It was MO knew we COULDN'T throw the ball.
There is a big difference in WOULDN'T and couldn't. We just do not have an offence that can effectively pass the football. Blame any player or any coach. We just can't pass the ball.

It's not that MO knew we WOULDN'T throw the ball. It was MO knew we COULDN'T throw the ball.
There is a big difference in WOULDN'T and couldn't. We just do not have an offence that can effectively pass the football. Blame any player or any coach. We just can't pass the ball.

How do we know we can't throw the ball? I hear that Gatewood and Allen are good passers. If one QB isn't getting the job done, next one up. I don't think there is a penalty to remove a QB and put another one in. I seem to remember other teams doing it. I can remember Spurrier using three QB's in one game, and I believe Saban did a couple years ago. If something isn't working, at least have the BALLS to try something different. What do you have to lose?

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: UKat1
How do we know we can't throw the ball? I hear that Gatewood and Allen are good passers. If one QB isn't getting the job done, next one up. I don't think there is a penalty to remove a QB and put another one in. I seem to remember other teams doing it. I can remember Spurrier using three QB's in one game, and I believe Saban did a couple years ago. If something isn't working, at least have the BALLS to try something different. What do you have to lose?

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
I firmly believe we CAN throw the football. Even Middle school football teams throw the football in this era.
MO knew we couldn't successfully throw the football with the personnel that was on the field for UK.
What does Spurrier and Stoops have in common? NOTHING!
Even Saban is throwing the football all over the yard. Dabo and Clemson taught that old dog a new trick and a hard lesson.
At least he learned from it and Changed his philosophy.

Our last Two trips to Columbia Mo we have played really poor on the offensive side of the ball. In 18 we needed the Punt Return by Bowden and then the last drive to score 15pts. Not sure what it is with that place but we have played really poor there for the most part.

I bet defensive coordinators set in the film room and shake their heads at our offensive sets and approach

I'd be surprised if DCs felt like they even needed to look at our film. Everything is within 5 yards of the LOS on 90% of the plays, don't throw to the middle, bubble screens, Wildcat on every short yardage situation and no variation whatsoever out of that formation. I mean, how much film do they really need to see?

In the other thread about TW, there is rampant speculation that his heart just isn't in it anymore and he may quit. I think you can see a definite step back from the little we saw him in 2019 to now: tentative, slow to make reads, lost a step running the ball, doesn't want to stand in, go through progressions and perhaps take a hit, etc. On paper, he should be exactly what we need but this year he's been thoroughly mediocre for much of the season. And we need more from the QB position - leadership, fire, accuracy, confidence, high IQ. We've gotten it very sparingly thus far. Other areas of the offense have certainly failed, too, in some/many instances, but a solid QB can carry an offense and make everyone play harder and better.

Reactions: willievic
Our last Two trips to Columbia Mo we have played really poor on the offensive side of the ball. In 18 we needed the Punt Return by Bowden and then the last drive to score 15pts. Not sure what it is with that place but we have played really poor there for the most part.
We lit them up in 2016 but their D that year was pure trash. Definitely agree that we have played very poorly vs them in 18 & 20

Reactions: fabcat
ADVERTISEMENT