ADVERTISEMENT

No more Papa John's

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was colossal stupidity by Schnatter. A person in that position should know better than to open himself up to this type of response. He could have handled that conference call a hundred different ways that not one person would have given it a second thought. Whether the consequences should have been this overwhelming and devastating is something a person in his position has to consider happening in the current state of the nation when choosing what words to use.

Well the pepperoni pizza at the Mariner North was pretty good today but I hadn't eaten pizza in about 4 months. When I saw all of the lardasses from Illinois and Wisconsin there I figured it might be good eating.

I don't really know what was said or the context of how it was said, nor do I really care. Still I can see UL trying to ditch him as quick as possible, not because they have any moral obligation to what went on, it is UL after all, but he seemed to be pretty outspoken about UL and the corruption going on there. So I can see them wanting him gone so they can go back the nasty stuff they are involved in.

Good response. I hope you walk the walk and shout the word on the next conference call you're on.
I don’t use the word because people will have their feelings hurt by it and I try not to do that. But I also resent that state of affairs. Why? Because the word can be used to very funny effect, and in fact to an effect that really effectively brings people together and lessons social strife. Eddie Murphy used it that way for many years, and by doing that he really did go a long way toward driving evil out from our culture and making things a little more just and fair for everyone. It was an amazing thing he did, not an ounce less valuable because he did it with a smile. One of the reasons he’ll always be one of my favorite people. But today, if someone with a different level of melanin in their skin makes exactly the same sort of potentially healing jokes, (regardless of whether their ancestors ever owned slaves, and based entirely on the amount of melanin in their skin) then they’re automatically labeled evil and racist and they’re instantly hated very widely.

I absolutely hate that difference. It’s bullshit. And in fact it is authentic racism. Really vicious racism, spread with the intent of really hurting specific real people, and very good at accomplishing just that.

Do I personally want to heal cultural strife by making n-word jokes? Nope. That’s not my personal calling. But I do want to stamp out real bullying and real racism wherever I can find it. I absolutely hate racism. Always have. Ever since as a four year old in the early seventies I started beating up any kid, bigger than me or not, who ever said anything bad about any of my friends just because my friends had different skin colors than mine. And never stopped. I’ll always hate racism. But it’s racism I hate, not a word that can be used for good or bad just like any other word. Racism has been sneaking around in some new disguises lately. Saying Schattner’s angerless, hatredless hisrorical quote is racist, even though it wouldn’t be racist if his skin were a different color, is one of racism’s new disguises. But to me it’s still just the same old damned thing and I’ll always hate it wherever I find it.

I don't know who did this, but I saw it on Facebook:

GHy5GXt.jpg

"Schnatter, How you going to get fired on your day off? It's Friday. You ain't got no job. Ain't got shit to do..."

[laughing]

So when are they going to give John back all of the money that he's donated over the years. I mean come on the guy is making racial slurs they just can't except money from someone making those type of slurs. If they're cutting all ties with him they need to cut his money loose too!!

Reactions: kev69
No pizza like Joe Bolognas on the campus. He opened when I was in school. I'd crawl on my hands and knees through three feet of snow from Cincinnati for those breadsticks in hot garlic butter.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
The amount of white people in this thread that are upset that they can't use the n word without facing consequences is staggering.
I've never understood the argument if "they can say it, why can't I?"

The amount of white people in this thread that are upset that they can't use the n word without facing consequences is staggering.
This entire situation is the Mt. Everest of molehills. PC run amok. Papa John was stupid, not hurtful. I cant believe UK jumped on the lemming bandwagon so quickly. It's very disappointing.

Reactions: crestcat
This entire situation is the Mt. Everest of molehills. PC run amok. Papa John was stupid, not hurtful. I cant believe UK jumped on the lemming bandwagon so quickly. It's very disappointing.
Not using the n word has nothing to do with political correctness. If y'all want to say it so bad, do it and face the consequences. It's that easy.

I must be a low-class guy, because I’ve always enjoyed Papa John’s. Always tasted good, decent consistency, never had a quality complaint or had the pizza cause a digestion issue. But then, I also enjoy Burger King, Raising Cane’s, Chinese take-out, and bottom-shelf bourbon.

I didn’t realize Kentucky had so many pedigreed nobles with refined palates and GI tracts made of paper.
Personally, I’ll eat a crappy Tostino’s & enjoy it if I have to. Pizza is pizza. Did it get all fancy around the same time as coffee or something?

Godfathers, Casey’s, there’s some in Nashville that are off the chain, pardon the pun.
Hunt Brother’s is where it’s at.
Nice pun, but please point me toward the gas station pizza I should be eating in Nashville.

Joey's is the best I've had here. I guess 5 Points will do in a pinch. Not enough sauce for my liking though.

I'm no pizza snob, trust me. It just never occurred to me that I should be eating pizza sold at convenience stores in middle TN.
Hunt Brother’s in East TN is the bomb. Maybe my favorite pizza.

Am I the only one thinking PJ's corp. is going to sue the hell out of U of L for arbitrarily deciding to rip up a multi-million dollar naming rights contract, because a Spokesperson said the N-word? Perhaps there is some moral clause in the contract allowing this?

Btw, as I'm reading this thread I am getting down on reheated $10 Little Sleazer's Ultimate Supreme, and it ain't half bad, ya picky haters.
It's not named after the corporation, it's named after him. He owns the rights personally until 2040, I think.

Ahh... more extortion. :popcorn:

https://nypost.com/2018/07/16/papa-johns-founder-blames-n-word-scandal-on-extortion-attempt/

"Papa John’s founder John Schnatter is punching back.

The pizza mogul who was accused of using a racial slur during an internal conference call in May is claiming the marketing firm that set up the call tried to extort $6 million from the chain to keep quiet about the slur.

“They wanted $6 million to make it go away,” Schnatter told a Louisville, Ky., CBS affiliate about Laundry Service, the Los Angeles-based marketing firm since fired by Papa John’s.

“‘If I don’t get my f–king money, I’m going to bury the founder,’ said one of the executives,” Schnatter told WLKY. “I’m not for sale,” Schnatter continued. “We held firm and they ran to Forbes, which printed it.”

Schnatter claims that Laundry Service, which was hired to provide public relations training, leaked the details about the conference call to Forbes only after its alleged extortion attempt failed.

The marketing firm made its demand about two weeks after the conference call, Schnatter told WLKY.

Schnatter has maintained that Laundry Service “pushed” him to say the n-word during the call. (Just no.)

In January, the pizza mogul — who owns 30 percent of the $1.7 billion company’s shares — blamed the national anthem protests by NFL players for Papa John’s declining sales."

I think you are wrong. I dont think anyone is, as you say, wanting to use the word at all. They simply do not understand why there is a double standard. I think they are saying that no one should be allowed to say it rather than some can and some cannot.

I totally get why there is a "double standard." The "sting" is not even close to the same if a white guy jokingly calling another white guy a "cracker." It is different if a black guy says it.

What is different about the situation with PJ....its out of control in that he didnt call anyone or direct the word at anyone at all. He simply used it (stupidly) in a sentence. He could have been reading Huck Finn out loud and then gets blackmailed for saying the word. That seems to be a different level of virtue signalling hysteria IMO.

I actually like Domino's. The absolute most trash chain pizza is Pizza Hut.

Dominos thin crust is ok. They’ve done better since the big change. Before that it was super gross.

Pizza Hut can be good if it’s hot and made correctly. But I get you, most of the time it’s hard to take. But their breadsticks and sauce are the bomb.

Am I the only person who doesn't dislike Papa John's pizza? I mean it's hardly great pizza, but it's at least edible. XD

Somerset needs another good pizza place. We've got Mellow Mushroom, Mr. D's, Donatos, and Mill Springs out in Nancy, but that's about it as far as I know. I've heard Swoody's is good, I'm going to have to try it.
Mill Springs is awesome. Eubank Pizza is really good.

Reactions: J_Dee
So when are they going to give John back all of the money that he's donated over the years. I mean come on the guy is making racial slurs they just can't except money from someone making those type of slurs. If they're cutting all ties with him they need to cut his money loose too!!
The hypocrisy in this Country has been out of bounds for years now.

youve never used the word? Seriously. How would one go about teaching their kids that it’s a bad word without bursting into flames?

“Son this is a horrible word you might hear, but you are never to say it. Here, I’ll spot you an “N” and two “G”s...but that’s the best I can do since you might quote me at school and get me fired”

[eyeroll]

Reactions: crestcat
Dominos thin crust is ok. They’ve done better since the big change. Before that it was super gross.

Pizza Hut can be good if it’s hot and made correctly. But I get you, most of the time it’s hard to take. But their breadsticks and sauce are the bomb.

I'm a Cassano's and Joe's Pizza guy. Not sure where Cassano's stretches to.

This whole situation with Papa John is being politically driven. Man has made some enemies by taking a stance on many things at UL and not just the NFL.

Papa John made some statements about health care, the American flag that some disagree with and the new norm is to bash that person till they break.
The use of the "N" word is wrong. Period. Out of respect for others, the use of the word should be stopped.

Doesn't matter that Papa John did not call anyone the "N" word, it only matters that they have something to use against him.
What is just as wrong is this country allowing the creation of two vocabulary's by its people. One for Blacks and one for Whites.
Blacks can call each other "My N***a" all day long and its OK. Eddie Murphy, Rickard Pryor, Kevin Hart and others can fill an auditorium of Black and White people who laugh their ass off all the while these men say the "N" word in every sentence.

I have a couple of Black who work for me, great guys, hard workers, but I had to stop them from calling each other "N" all the time. WE had some good conversations on this and the only thing I can get from them why its OK for them to say the word and not for me or any other White person is "its different when you Whites say the word then when we say it. It has a different meaning."
I to this day cannot accept that answer from them or anyone else.

UL has a professor name Ricky Jones who writes a column for the Courier Journal and each week says some of the most awful things about White people. Calls Whites all kinds of names. Does he get called out? No.
Last week Fox News' Tucker Carlson called him out saying he was a racist.
We have a serious double standard in this country that is dividing people more than ever.

Doesn't matter to me what they call their football stadium; but the treatment this man is getting has gone too far.

I hope one of the strip clubs a few blocks away from the football field buys the rights and calls the place "Godfathers Cardinal Sin Football Stadium" and let all whores, strippers in for a $1.
UL football players jumping on the Papa John bandwagon but say nothing about their teammates shooting each other at a party or killing a cheerleader with drugs in their dorms.

Just a first class university and classy student-athletes as well.
Just pin this to the top of the board.

Not using the n word has nothing to do with political correctness. If y'all want to say it so bad, do it and face the consequences. It's that easy.
"Y'all", what a stereotypical and racist thing to say. I'm pretty sure I said papa was stupid. Do you need a safety pin?

Reactions: jimmy5-11
I think you are wrong. I dont think anyone is, as you say, wanting to use the word at all. They simply do not understand why there is a double standard. I think they are saying that no one should be allowed to say it rather than some can and some cannot.

I totally get why there is a "double standard." The "sting" is not even close to the same if a white guy jokingly calling another white guy a "cracker." It is different if a black guy says it.

What is different about the situation with PJ....its out of control in that he didnt call anyone or direct the word at anyone at all. He simply used it (stupidly) in a sentence. He could have been reading Huck Finn out loud and then gets blackmailed for saying the word. That seems to be a different level of virtue signalling hysteria IMO.
It would be dumb for him to be reading Huck Finn in public too.

Am I the only person who doesn't dislike Papa John's pizza? I mean it's hardly great pizza, but it's at least edible. XD

Somerset needs another good pizza place. We've got Mellow Mushroom, Mr. D's, Donatos, and Mill Springs out in Nancy, but that's about it as far as I know. I've heard Swoody's is good, I'm going to have to try it.
Papa John pizza is good

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
Mill Springs is awesome. Eubank Pizza is really good.

I'd totally forgotten about Eubank Pizza. I'm hardly ever up in Eubank nowadays but I've eaten there a few times before. I agree, good pizza.

I forgot about Endzone Pizza in Burnside, too. I've never eaten there but I definitely will sometime.

Not sure I see where any white people are upset about not being able to say something that is offensive to others, but more of "why is it offensive when a white person says the N word and not when a Black person says it"?

This is like you as a dad cussing and telling your kids they can't say what you say.

Why do Blacks go to shows where comedians, Black and white say they word non stop, laugh and think nothing about it?

That is what people is tired of. Selective racism.
If using the word is racist, then it racist no matter who says it, white or Black

It's not named after the corporation, it's named after him. He owns the rights personally until 2040, I think.
His name isn't Papa Johns. Are you saying he owns the copyright to the name and the corp. Doesn't own it? That's weird. So he paid out of his pocket for the naming rights? I always assumed naming rights belonged to the corporation inherently. Interesting.

Reactions: 420grover
Not sure I see where any white people are upset about not being able to say something that is offensive to others, but more of "why is it offensive when a white person says the N word and not when a Black person says it"?

This is like you as a dad cussing and telling your kids they can't say what you say.

Why do Blacks go to shows where comedians, Black and white say they word non stop, laugh and think nothing about it?

That is what people is tired of. Selective racism.
If using the word is racist, then it racist no matter who says it, white or Black

It's not selective racism at all. I'm white, how am I going to use the n word in any connotation except a negative one?

Please explain to me what situation you want to use the n word that you think is appropriate.

I dont listen to rap anymore and hate that the n word is thrown around, but do you see the difference in one group of people calling themselves something and it is near meaningless while if another person in a different group says it, it means something completely different?

I dont understand why people get so bent out of shape because they cant say the n word. Say it all you want, but there are consequences.

SWEET JESUS, bro!!!

If you only want to spend $5 for dinner, why in the hell are you spending it on any chain pizza, let alone Little F*cking Caesars?

Again, this is coming from a dude who doesn't ride the high horse when it comes to pizza. This thread is insane.

I don't normally spend money on chain pizza. My point is that of the four chain pizza joints I know of (Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, Domino's, Little Caesars), I don't really like any one of the four way more than the other three. In a case like that, I just go for the cheapest of the bunch. Little Caesars fits that description.

I especially think that's true for someone like me who doesn't really care for a ton of toppings on their pizza. You can just give me a plain cheese pizza and I'm happy as can be. At most, I only really like sausage.

It's not selective racism at all. I'm white, how am I going to use the n word in any connotation except a negative one?

Please explain to me what situation you want to use the n word that you think is appropriate.

I dont listen to rap anymore and hate that the n word is thrown around, but do you see the difference in one group of people calling themselves something and it is near meaningless while if another person in a different group says it, it means something completely different?

I dont understand why people get so bent out of shape because they cant say the n word. Say it all you want, but there are consequences.

Grow up in the slums of Detroit and come back so we can talk.

I hope Papa John's sues UofL for breach of contract. I would like to think that when a company dumps a bunch of money into your school you can't just remove their name from a stadium where they paid for naming rights? This sounds like an NFL contract....you cancel whenever you like if the guy can't play anymore.

Half of this country can and will be offended by anything.

So Papa John makes a racial slur and uofl acts quickly. Pitino bangs a lady on a restaurant table, commits adultry and crickets. Sex for play in the dorm crickets. Guess they pick and choose their morals.
Rick taking the UL job was something one just doesn’t do. A Red Sox manager doesn’t go to the Yankees, an Auburn coach doesnt go to ‘Bama, a Cal coach to Stanford. There are some things you just don’t do. So the things he did at UL are understandable. Once he took that job after being at UK he proved he was capable of anything no matter how despicable. BTW calling that woman a lady was very kind of you sir.

I am not saying that myself nor anyone I know (white people) that wants to go around using the N word.
Simply trying to show where the word is racist for some to say and not others. That is being selective in determining when it is racist and when it is not.

Just answer a couple simple questions: why is it OK for a Black person to use the word and not a white person?
Why is it called racism when a white uses the word and not when a Black uses the word?

Simply put, there is a double standard. Forget the N word. Use any word you want. When one person can say anything they want and others can not, this is a double standard.

Reactions: jimmy5-11
I am not saying that myself nor anyone I know (white people) that wants to go around using the N word.
Simply trying to show where the word is racist for some to say and not others. That is being selective in determining when it is racist and when it is not.

Just answer a couple simple questions: why is it OK for a Black person to use the word and not a white person?
Why is it called racism when a white uses the word and not when a Black uses the word?

Simply put, there is a double standard. Forget the N word. Use any word you want. When one person can say anything they want and others can not, this is a double standard.

It's not ok for anyone to use that word.

I dont think the word is racist when used by a black person toward another black person. A words meaning changes with context of conversation. I think there's a lack of knowledge when that word is used. People who use that word have probably never seen a picture of Emmit Till

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT