ADVERTISEMENT

No love for the out of bounds play to tie it at 68 with :45 left in regulation?

Mojocat

All-American
Jan 29, 2003
this is mainly for the crowd that wants to define head coach in terms of "X and O", which apparently means a very narrow and specific thing - like an out of bounds play. How about Cal calling the TO, Lee setting a backpick and rolling to the rim for a lob from Tyler? Tie game. Well designed, well executed.

Was probably Robic anyway - I think I saw Cal on the phone with a recruit during that TO....

I think I saw Cal on the phone with a recruit during that TO....

Just don't bitch and whine when the next coach isn't bringing in only #1 and #2 classes, please.

tonight was a tough loss, and i agree that the Cal is the worst x's and o's crowd is annoying but, couldn't they just say look at the last 5 minutes, we had 8-10 possessions down 1 or 2 and couldn't ever score? We could put the game away there. In fact it looked like Wisconsin, dribble, dribble, dribble, bad shot, shot clock violation. That is the same thing as picking 1 play that worked as great as it was.

Reactions: crestcat
tonight was a tough loss, and i agree that the Cal is the worst x's and o's crowd is annoying but, couldn't they just say look at the last 5 minutes, we had 8-10 possessions down 1 or 2 and couldn't ever score? We could put the game away there. In fact it looked like Wisconsin, dribble, dribble, dribble, bad shot, shot clock violation. That is the same thing as picking 1 play that worked as great as it was.

You do realize we were trying to win.. on the road..against a pretty dang good team without 2 key starters. I mean, we were playing Humphries (played amazing) who probably doesn't average 5 minute per game and Hawkins who hasn't seen meaningful minutes in a month. So the fact we even had a chance to win after losing Lee and Humphries in overtime pretty much negates your whole argument

Reactions: TexKat
this is mainly for the crowd that wants to define head coach in terms of "X and O", which apparently means a very narrow and specific thing - like an out of bounds play. How about Cal calling the TO, Lee setting a backpick and rolling to the rim for a lob from Tyler? Tie game. Well designed, well executed.

Was probably Robic anyway - I think I saw Cal on the phone with a recruit during that TO....
It was a thing of beauty, maybe he will make a habit of it instead of taking the TO's home with him

Tough losses usually dont allow room for positive posts, the board didnt respond to my upbeat post about UK setting the school record for most consecutive gms with at least 10 made threes either.

Reactions: awf

This had much more to do with the personnel on the floor than anything Cal could do. I thought Cal's offense was great, but when Willis went out we lost all of our driving lanes. They just collapsed in the paint on us.

Murray was great running off of screens, even though House and Curuso played good defense on him. When we went with the elbow PnR stuff, we couldn't give the ball to Skal because he is arguably the weakest post player of all time.

Reactions: Aike
That play was outstanding. I don't think I've ever seen a Cal team ever run that play.

It was a thing of beauty, maybe he will make a habit of it instead of taking the TO's home with him
Now, that's more like it! You assess a coach on the narrowest grounds possible. Did he call a TO or not? Did he take his foot off the gas? Does he use a press or a zone, like, just because?

Early in the year, we were one of the worst perimeter shooting teams in the country, well into the 300s. Lately we can't miss. The offense is different now, in structure and emphasis. Does Cal get credit for that, or is that not X and O enough?

If you watched the video of the team in the huddle during the timeout, you could tell that Lee was going to be the one to make that play. Murray gestured towards Lee during the timeout then swiped his towel at him in an encouraging manner, as if to say "it's all you man, make it happen". I thought about starting a tread like this about that call. Definitely shows Cal is capable of some pretty good X's and O's.

You do realize we were trying to win.. on the road..against a pretty dang good team without 2 key starters. I mean, we were playing Humphries (played amazing) who probably doesn't average 5 minute per game and Hawkins who hasn't seen meaningful minutes in a month. So the fact we even had a chance to win after losing Lee and Humphries in overtime pretty much negates your whole argument
im not saying those things im pointing out what that crowd could say. I think Cal is a good x's and o's guy not like top 1% great or whatever but good enough. I've said before i think the only element of the game that Cal really struggles with a great deal is not making changes on the fly when a team is clearly doing something that is stifling us. he will try and bang a square peg in a round hole too much. last night the way he ran Jamal off all those screens though was great we need more of that from coach.

I love where this team is going, I actually think we got a good shot to make a run if we can get healthy. this team has a ton of grit. just wish our bigs could get some hoops iq with a quickness

ADVERTISEMENT