ADVERTISEMENT

NIL makes for Jealousy

MrHotDice

All-American
Nov 1, 2002
UK has a bunch of NIL players, some making close to a million, Does anyone think that makes for a good team environment. Wonder what NIL costs South Carolina or Alabama? These problems started with NIL and COVID folks. Would as a player you want to out play any player getting big NIL money? I just think when you get paid and can go through the motions, you will. That seems to be how Cal is coaching at time and it appears the players have caught the same disease. The

UK has a bunch of NIL players, some making close to a million, Does anyone think that makes for a good team environment. Wonder what NIL costs South Carolina or Alabama? These problems started with NIL and COVID folks. Would as a player you want to out play any player getting big NIL money? I just think when you get paid and can go through the motions, you will. That seems to be how Cal is coaching at time and it appears the players have caught the same disease. The
Well I get where your coming from even if nobody else does so far who has commented so far on this topic. I don't think it necessarily has to cause jealousy just because NIL but take a guy like Oscar who makes that 2.75 mil and it was already suppose to be his team coming back this year. I think this whole NIL and transfer portal is just bad for team chemistry. On and off the floor! I bet those guys or a big part of them talk shit constantly behind each other's back and these guys on this ball club don't seem to enjoy playing together. I don't know about if it has anything to do with jealousy but I believe these guys have cliques among themselves. Also, sometime ppl, coworkers, teammates aren't always as happy for the man who makes the most as they want you to believe. Hopefully, it's not like that though.

Also these other posters are trying to compare a football roster vs a basketball roster! It's a lil bit different when you compare what guys playing basketball get versus what football players are getting.

This is a problem if you have the wrong type of players in the program. Every job stricter in the world has certain people making more than someone else. It’s only a problem if someone doesn’t understand or can not handle this.

Reactions: bigc45157
No Big Deal here.
Signed,
Shadeon Sharpe

Reactions: Fox2monk
Nil isn’t going anywhere - we better adjust if you’re theory is correct.

** I see other basketball teams doing just fine **

Also these other posters are trying to compare a football roster vs a basketball roster! It's a lil bit different when you compare what guys playing basketball get versus what football players are getting.
Football is offering a QB $5 million to enter the portal and come to their school.

• Sad
Reactions: BlueWhite21
If I was a player and my teammate had a NIL for $1 million, I wouldn't be jealous. I'd say, "I'm gonna work my ass off so I can get one of those, too."

NIL may have a negative impact impact on a players drive. Instead if busting it to make it to the NBA or NFL to make money, some players will see the easy NIL money and think it will just keep coming. Long term planning is usually not a high priority at 18. At the same time it will motivate some to keep it coming.

A coworker and I were just having a conversation on this. I'm not very familiar with how the NIL works; Does Cal get to dole out NIL money to the players all year, even during the basketball season, from game to game? If so, there would have to be guidelines on that right? Otherwise, I could see it causing all kinds of envy and jealousy within the team, weaponized, etc.

NIL is definitely causing problems on this team. That's mostly due to players who are selfish and immature, and a HC who is clueless.

ADVERTISEMENT