ADVERTISEMENT

NIL and boosters?

Meh...We don't yet know if it will be allowed in 47 other states. CA, GA, TX and FL got in on NIL earlier than everyone else.

There are also notable differences between college students and H.S. kids, right? US law recognizes that minors do not have the capacity to contract. NCAA model is also a lot more commercialized than H.S. athletics. I would hold off on that one a bit.
Justin Timberlake made plenty of money before he was 18 because he could sing and dance. If someone wants to pay Reed Shephard a bunch of money before he is 18 because he can dribble and shoot, why does anyone care?

Justin Timberlake made plenty of money before he was 18 because he could sing and dance. If someone wants to pay Reed Shephard a bunch of money before he is 18 because he can dribble and shoot, why does anyone care?

Personally, I don't. That would be a question you'd have to ask the folks that make the laws.

I'm sure plenty could get agents. I think the larger obstacle for NIL in H.S. athletics would be athletic associations, faculty, coaches, parents, etc. It's a lot different than the NCAA.

Last edited:
Reactions: jauk11
Kavanaugh is a judge, but that doesn't mean he knows jack about economics or its application. Sports as we have known it is already dying. Unless the NCAA is totally reworked and grounded in some consistency, we're in the last generation of it. Something else may take its place, but free education (though that is worth less and less the way the education system is now) and training for thousands of athletes will be gone.

The only people that will be benefiting from this long term will be the revenue service and politicians.

I'm in favor of NIL to a great extent, but I also think that the athlete making money then needs to pay more of their own expenses and be able to have an agent. Doesn't matter what I think these days though because I'm old
This is probably an area of interest for Kavanaugh, as a former athlete.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT