ADVERTISEMENT

Nike Peach Jam over; 2023, 2024, 2025 targets recruiting followup

Jasper Johnson helps Link Academy knock out Dybantsa’s Prolific Prep.
Liked how he nailed FT's late and made game winning assist. Love his potential and see a lot of SGA with him--he needs to stay in '25 class IMO--but he's going to be an excellent player.

Always was a big fan of LaBaron Philon too-and Kansas got themselves a talented guy with him.

AJ Dybantsa and Aiden Sherrell were terrific. Reid is solid. White kid who can shoot made some shots and stinks in other aspects of basketball. I was so disappointed Tyran Stokes though. He can't shoot and no showed when his team needed him (My guess is fear of getting fouled because he's so putrid from FT line)

Liked how he nailed FT's late and made game winning assist. Love his potential and see a lot of SGA with him--he needs to stay in '25 class IMO--but he's going to be an excellent player.

Always was a big fan of LaBaron Philon too-and Kansas got themselves a talented guy with him.

AJ Dybantsa and Aiden Sherrell were terrific. Reid is solid. White kid who can shoot made some shots and stinks in other aspects of basketball. I was so disappointed Tyran Stokes though. He can't shoot and no showed when his team needed him (My guess is fear of getting fouled because he's so putrid from FT line)
Shelley’s block of the late Dybantsa shot was huge. He’s an Arkansas signee. If he decommits and doesn’t follow Muss to USC, it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if UK reached out.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Two games on espn 2 this afternoon.
Image-4-5-24-at-1-12-PM.jpg

Reactions: University-6
Shelley’s block of the late Dybantsa shot was huge. He’s an Arkansas signee. If he decommits and doesn’t follow Muss to USC, it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if UK reached out.
Shelley's a very talented guy. Believe Travis Graf had mentioned him as a guy to watch 2 Summers ago. He is a nice looking player.

Reactions: Smashcat
Knox's OTE coach.

Karter Knox: ‘He’s Improved So Much’

There were some very mixed reviews about Karter Knox heading into his time at Overtime Elite. However, following his season and a strong McDonald’s All-American Game performance, Knox is firmly entrenched as a Top-25 prospect in 2024.

“It’s just the little things that he added to his game while he was here,” Frazier said. “That was one of the most impressive things.”

Frazier even received a call from someone on Tuesday night during the McDonald’s All-American Game about a comment made by the broadcast team. They said he’s not the same Karter Knox he was a year ago.

“He changed his body and is in better shape,” Frazier said. “That’s attributed to him buying into what we were doing all year. At the beginning of the year, you probably wouldn’t have that same comment. He improved so much. We’re really excited about where it’s going for Karter.” -
On3

Knox's OTE coach.

Karter Knox: ‘He’s Improved So Much’

There were some very mixed reviews about Karter Knox heading into his time at Overtime Elite. However, following his season and a strong McDonald’s All-American Game performance, Knox is firmly entrenched as a Top-25 prospect in 2024.

“It’s just the little things that he added to his game while he was here,” Frazier said. “That was one of the most impressive things.”

Frazier even received a call from someone on Tuesday night during the McDonald’s All-American Game about a comment made by the broadcast team. They said he’s not the same Karter Knox he was a year ago.

“He changed his body and is in better shape,” Frazier said. “That’s attributed to him buying into what we were doing all year. At the beginning of the year, you probably wouldn’t have that same comment. He improved so much. We’re really excited about where it’s going for Karter.”
That's good to hear. My issue is when I've watched him play in the OTE Championships-Best of 5--he showed the same negative traits/weaknesses I saw when he was with FL Rebels in the Summer. They were 1 game away from qualifying for the Postseason portion of the Peach Jam and he had a rotten game, was dominated by Billy Richmond and benched for almost the entire 2nd Half and not due to fouls.

Think Karter will be the player who will be instantly liked by many expecting him to suck....and those who think he's going to be a big time get will be instantly disappointed. He's consistent though. If you ask for 12 pts--he'll get that--but if he has 12 in the 1st Half-he'll have 12 at end of game. He has 0--he'll get his 12. But don't ask for anything more...because he's not willing to deliver that.

My coaching critique of him is his balance on his jumper. He seems to be focused on leaning/fading and doing NBA moves when he's not even mastered just simple basics. You can't get a PHD until you get a degree and too much focus on step skipping leads to failure. Work on the basics until you can't get them wrong-not until you get it right. Then advance your skill set. Too many guys think making 3 jumpers in a row means they can work on 180 spin pivot fades--and don't master the simple stuff.

4. 4-star C Malachi Moreno (2025)

Malachi Moreno has a projectable frame, with good length, and he is listed at 6-foot-11. His production was intriguing today. He moved well off the ball and finished with touch around the basket. Moreno has cleaned up the jump shot and it is a weapon to spread the floor as he knocked down his only catch-and-shoot attempt today. The junior post player is a good area rebounder, has strong hands, and high points the ball. He also showed rim protection and natural timing around the basket as a shot blocker. He continues to be a productive player in his settings.

4-star C Malachi Moreno (2025) continues to find ways to impact the game. One of the tallest players in the camp, listed at 6-foot-11, moves well and is an excellent rebounder. He plays with toughness around the basket and he knocked down a couple of mid-range chip shots.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
From on3 - Jasper Johnson and Moreno on Pope hiring. 👍

5-star CG Jasper Johnson: “Being a local kid from Lexington, watching them play and always seeing Cal as the coach since I could remember, now seeing a new coach in his position is shocking to see. Interest in the program is still there if new staff is interested in me!”
4-star C Malachi Moreno: “BYU was a great program. They were beating top teams in the Big 12 so I know Kentucky will have a great coach coming their way.

Last edited:
Per Travis Branham, Pope is staying in contact with the 4-star center, who is also drawing interest from Tennessee, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Georgia, and Georgetown. The plan is for Cyril to schedule visits soon, so this could be a process that takes several weeks to resolve.

😐
The 6-foot-1, 175-pounder was recently on campus last month, as he was in attendance for the Jayhawks’ game against Kansas State at Allen Fieldhouse on March 5. Bill Self and the KU staff are quickly getting Acuff back to the Sunflower State.
Last Summer this would've been a must get....after seeing him at IMG and hearing all that stuff from Biancardi (who was being polite towards Acuff) about his coach having to show him how to be unselfish and a better teammate, this isn't a guy I'd have wanted if Cal were still here. On record saying that already too. You can't have that position manned by an "energy vampire".

Kansas is a place where character really doesn't matter. Self's a great coach but they place talent above all and it shows with so many off the court incidents the players are involved or just bringing in/overlooking that someone is a complete A-hole like Hunter Dickinson. Good place for a "me" player. Acuff can make shots/score the ball but many guys do NOT want to play with him.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
Indeed. Much quieter for us on the top guys for sure.
Maybe. Let's see what happens when the Staff is announced/get their '25 roster built-they have time.

Live Period starts in late May for HS kids so we'll get a sense of who they like/fit/have been receptive to what Pope/Staff are saying.

'26 is the class we should know more about as they'll have had a normal recruiting cycle to recruit that group. He said he's going to aim for top talent so I think we'll have plenty to discuss, but just not focused on a class of 7/8 guys each year (which will help the results on the court too) that we'd grown accustomed to following/needing.

ADVERTISEMENT