ADVERTISEMENT

Nike and Kentucky

Mobilecat2

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 24, 2002
I’m not going debate any athletes right to protest. I’ll happily conceed it is a protected right and one I humbly served to defend. I recognize these freedoms are fundamental and worth fighting for. I don’t agree with people who chose the playing of the national anthem or the appearance of our flag to protest. Still, I won’t argue their right to do so. I recognize there are many ills within our country although I believe they shared or even worse in other parts of the world. Mankind has many flaws, including a multitude of baseless reasons to hate one another that we have battled with way to long.

But I will not support or agree with a company that fails to recognize what “sacrificing everything” looks like. I assure you, it isn’t a kneeling millionaire who walked away from his contract, by his own choice. I’ve seen way to much in my time to know what sacrifice really means. Today, I’m ashamed my school is associated with such a incredibly insensitive company that cares nothing of the pain caused by knowing and seeing those give the ultimate sacrifice to their country traded away for political and social self promotion.

I’m not going debate any athletes right to protest. I’ll happily conceed it is a protected right and one I humbly served to defend. I recognize these freedoms are fundamental and worth fighting for. I don’t agree with people who chose the playing of the national anthem or the appearance of our flag to protest. Still, I won’t argue their right to do so. I recognize there are many ills within our country although I believe they shared or even worse in other parts of the world. Mankind has many flaws, including a multitude of baseless reasons to hate one another that we have battled with way to long.

But I will not support or agree with a company that fails to recognize what “sacrificing everything” looks like. I assure you, it isn’t a kneeling millionaire who walked away from his contract, by his own choice. I’ve seen way to much in my time to know what sacrifice really means. Today, I’m ashamed my school is associated with such a incredibly insensitive company that cares nothing of the pain caused by knowing and seeing those give the ultimate sacrifice to their country traded away for political and social self promotion.

Protesting police brutality is what its all about. If anyone hasn't figured that out yet, your not paying attention or your in denial and delusional. FTP
I am sorry but we KNOW why he is boycotting and feels the need to do so, As Mobile said there are MANY MANY ways to boycott and show that you care in many DIFFERENT ways. The National Anthem is NEVER one of them. If you don't understand that then I think you are the one who is delusional.

Protesting police brutality is what its all about. If anyone hasn't figured that out yet, your not paying attention or your in denial and delusional. FTP

That’s not a free card to protest symbols that have other meanings without repercussions. If I piss on a cross to protest the Church covering for catholic priests who abuse kids, best believe there will be Christians who (rightfully) take offense.

Doesn’t mean you use the American flag and national anthem as your protest. You can use many things to protest police brutality. Colin Kaepernick is an entitled piece of shit, nothing more, nothing less. $19 million a year to be a terrible quarterback, who doesn’t belong in the league in the first place. Now no telling how much from Nike to be a POS.

Don’t often agree w/ you, but I certainly agree w/ the above!

If they want a slogan of “Sacrifice Everything” they should have different video montages of Pat Tillman!

Now that’s a guy who sacrificed everything. Not the kid who was adopted by a white family into an affluent situation w/ opportunities galore!
Pat Tillman basically hated the armed services and his widow and family have said that he would most likely proudly kneel right next to Kaepernick. But I’m sure that doesn’t fit your narrative.

The only people who have a problem with this are old curmudgeons who have nothing better to do than sit in their rocking chairs and whine about how they don’t understand kids these days. Get over it.

Reactions: BigBlueSean
Here is my view on it, if you are willing to protest the flag and the national anthem, then you should be deported. Those are national things, and if you are protesting them, then you are protesting the country by which you live and gives you opportunity. So if you are so upset with this country, then you should go live somewhere else. I've yet to see a single one of these guys protesting actually trying to do something about the thing they are protesting for, other than to draw attention to themselves. But actually trying to do something about it requires way too much sacrifice.

Doesn’t mean you use the American flag and national anthem as your protest. You can use many things to protest police brutality. Colin Kaepernick is an entitled piece of shit, nothing more, nothing less. $19 million a year to be a terrible quarterback, who doesn’t belong in the league in the first place. Now no telling how much from Nike to be a POS.

Lulz Nathan Peterman is a starting QB in the NFL. The NFL keeps recycling garbage ass quarterbacks but Kap ain't good enough? Nah.
To your second point, well if you actually believe that then...

Actually it took a while for Kaepernick to get his point across since it was originally about the oppression of black people and people of color. It then became about police brutality, specifically towards people of color. He wasn't particularly clear about the message and then muddied it further with pig socks and touting the greatness of Castro.
It's his right to protest just as it's other's right not to or to disagree with how he elects to protest. Don't believe anyone is pro police brutality and IMO he could've gotten better results with a message that was clear and stayed on point and didn't include protesting the national anthem.

Pat Tillman basically hated the armed services and his widow and family have said that he would most likely proudly kneel right next to Kaepernick. But I’m sure that doesn’t fit your narrative.
Disagree.

Read Krakauer’s book. He disagreed w/ entering Iraq and his family is upset w/ the cover-up that has taken place (and rightly so), but he was proud as hell to be a Ranger and to serve his country.

One doesn’t have to agree w/ everything done by the country/government to still honor it. Regardless, who gave the ultimate sacrifice? Was it Pat Tillman or Colin Kaepernick?

Lulz Nathan Peterman is a starting QB in the NFL. The NFL keeps recycling garbage ass quarterbacks but Kap ain't good enough? Nah.
To your second point, well if you actually believe that then...

He’s like the guy at my work that just quit because he ruined all his opportunities. I don’t have an issue with him protesting police brutality, it’s pretty odd though that you can protest against the flag, which is what people gave their life for, so that HE could have the freedom to do this. Like I said, many other ways to protest police brutality. He’s entitled. He doesn’t belong in the league, he’s burned all his own bridges and he’s also not a good QB.

Cool, NFL isn't an average workplace so it's dumb to compare them.

Disagree.

Read Krakauer’s book. He disagreed w/ entering Iraq and his family is upset w/ the cover-up that has taken place (and rightly so), but he was proud as hell to be a Ranger and to serve his country.

One doesn’t have to agree w/ everything done by the country/government to still honor it. Regardless, who gave the ultimate sacrifice? Was it Pat Tillman or Colin Kaepernick?
You can also find where his widow has said he would support CK. Your game of trying to play me as anti-American isn’t going to work. I respect what Kaepernick is trying to demonstrate. Respect every thing Tillman did because he thought it was his calling. Respect the troops. But to say he should be deported and all other propaganda is plainly not American. Disagreeing peacefully is way more American. But it is what it is. Nobody on here is going to convince another anonymous person that their way of thinking is correct. And that’s alright. Go Cats.

You can also find where his widow has said he would support CK. Your game of trying to play me as anti-American isn’t going to work. I respect what Kaepernick is trying to demonstrate. Respect every thing Tillman did because he thought it was his calling. Respect the troops. But to say he should be deported and all other propaganda is plainly not American. Disagreeing peacefully is way more American. But it is what it is. Nobody on here is going to convince another anonymous person that their way of thinking is correct. And that’s alright. Go Cats.

If his employer will allow him to protest, that's fine. If people want to call him an idiot for choosing this form of protest. That's fine. If people don't give a sh!t either way? That's fine.

People on both sides refuse to understand what free speech and free expression is all about. I tend to think his form of protest is counter-productive and tone deaf. But I also think (if his employer allows it) that he should be allowed to make his foolish and tone deaf expression of protest.

Reactions: wabacf and shanew23

Revered Jasper Williams had a nice little sermon for you at Aretha Franklin's funeral.

I thought they were protesting “institutional racism” of the police. Which is it?

*Both* can be true. And Kaepernick did it as respectfully as possible to make a point. You know how many veterans have said the same thing? Just funny that it's always people that didn't serve be the loudest about how disrespectful it is, like President bone Spurs.

Here is my view on it, if you are willing to protest the flag and the national anthem, then you should be deported. Those are national things, and if you are protesting them, then you are protesting the country by which you live and gives you opportunity. So if you are so upset with this country, then you should go live somewhere else. I've yet to see a single one of these guys protesting actually trying to do something about the thing they are protesting for, other than to draw attention to themselves. But actually trying to do something about it requires way too much sacrifice.
You need to just go use the Google machine, then. https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/31/...organizations-million-dollar-pledge-10-for-10

Reactions: Cats and Canes
*Both* can be true. And Kaepernick did it as respectfully as possible to make a point. You know how many veterans have said the same thing? Just funny that it's always people that didn't serve be the loudest about how disrespectful it is, like President bone Spurs.

Exhibit A. of what I'm talking about. You think he did it respectfully. Others don't. How it effects you emotionally doesn't mean your reaction is right or wrong.

If his employer will allow him to protest, that's fine. If people want to call him an idiot for choosing this form of protest. That's fine. If people don't give a sh!t either way? That's fine.

People on both sides refuse to understand what free speech and free expression is all about. I tend to think his form of protest is counter-productive and tone deaf. But I also think (if his employer allows it) that he should be allowed to make his foolish and tone deaf expression of protest.
Agree with this, although I disagree that the protest is counterproductive and tone-deaf. The NFL/employer deliberately wrapped itself in the flag through agreements with the armed services as a cynical marketing project with the ultimate goal of making more money. Then they tried to make their employees props in the effort. That's the beauty of the "props" protesting it. Agree though that it's harder to make that point through a symbol of kneeling so you can question the effectiveness of the protest.

fuq the flag that thing has wrecked the whole world over. killed thousands and thousands of innocent people. Slaughtered the indigenous people of this land, enslaved Africans, continues to destroy this earth. If you're for that, your the problem and the enemy.

This is too far. You disgust me. Your generalizations of this nation and what it stands for disgust me. Your response outlines a complete and total lack of education on your own behalf, and you should be ashamed of that. What you’re claiming is an unfortunate reality that exists globally all throughout history. Our nation isn’t the problem, human beings are. Human beings that represent our nation, and every nation in the world (the vast majority of these nations, if not all of which are completely guilty of every blame that you apparently placed solely on this country.)

The flag represents, in the eyes of the majority of its citizens, a chance at meaningful opportunity of success, freedom, a unique culture that integrates bits and pieces of all cultures around the world in a way that makes our country as unique as it is.

There’s no such thing as a utopia. The vast majority of citizens and political leaders in this nation understand that the transgressions you’ve previously mentioned are atrocities of mankind, but there is no exclusivity between those transgressions and our nation. If you still hold that much hatred, discontent, and a complete and total lack of forgiveness for all nations who have ever held such practices, then your best shot at happiness is by buying a private space shuttle and colonizing your own, completely new civilization on the moon.

Spare us all the facade of you being a morally incorruptible human being. You’re every bit as much of the issue with what’s wrong with the world today, and throughout history, as I am, it anybody else here.

I thought they were protesting “institutional racism” of the police. Which is it?

Both can be true. I think you would have to be naive to believe that people of color are not treated unfairly in this nation. That’s a product of alienating people of color for generations. Police brutality and institutional racism can very easily go hand-in-hand. A statistical analysis of the percentage of police brutality victims that are individuals of color could show you very quickly how much of an issue it is.

As for the matter on the flag, I see nothing wrong with it. It’s not desecration of the flag, it’s not born out of disrespect for the service men and women across the nation, it’s merely an acknowledgement that this nation has very serious racial issues that need to be addressed, and it can serve as a visual representation of the differences between people that reside in this nation, and how divided we are.

I think it’s important to recognize that there was no malice intended by taking a knee. Not one unkind word was spoken about the nation, nothing truly disruptive was done while the anthem was sung, it was never about disrespecting this nation and the symbol of it until political figureheads and a select group of media members shaped the perception to be that of disrespect. The wrong message was created by those who viciously opposed the idea of taking a knee during the anthem, and unfortunately, that is the message that caught like wildfire. Not the original message.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT