ADVERTISEMENT

Nike Ad giving Duke recruiting a boost

Effin' dook slurping. I'm surprised they didn't just CGI the kid's head onto Laettner's body for "the shot." Still gotta squeeze some more mileage out of that. [eyeroll]

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Probably picked Duke because it's easy to find a hundred people to fill Cameron Indoor for the commercial.

It's kind of dumb of Nike to highlight one school over their others like that, but it doesn't really equate to preferential treatment for Duke. They get it, but this isn't one of the ways.

Reactions: MWes11
Don't matter. Coach K can't cheat time. He will continue to decline every year and his teams will be younger and harder to coach. He's digging his retirement early and I love it.

I don't think it helps them. They are already regarded as the current preeminent school for college basketball. Lame commercials involving them don't really give them a boost.

Reactions: ceilo77
If this was one incident, fine. This is a reoccurring issue. Remember the Parker commercial where he grows as a player in the Duke jersey to the pros?

Don’t remember Nike doing anything similar with UK and we’ve got waaay more prestige in the nba than Duke. Maybe I’m wrong and just don’t remember.

I wonder if this is going to be one of those commercials where they used a few different teams and just used Duke as the first run around for the nike commercial?

But if this is the only version... thats a little sh*tty to do to their other programs ... when it would of been easy to of just made it a generic college like jersey

I wonder if this is going to be one of those commercials where they used a few different teams and just used Duke as the first run around for the nike commercial?

But if this is the only version... thats a little sh*tty to do to their other programs ... when it would of been easy to of just made it a generic college like jersey

Yeah, the other team is a fake Syracuse with a generic name.

The optics are pretty funny. Black kid growing up playing on the playground (kind of player Duke isn't famous for), dreaming of being the next Lebron. Apparently the path to that travels through Durham.

Hits game winner at Cameron Indoor, immediately surrounded by goofy white Dukies (players and fans).

I'm reminded of the old Jalen Rose quotes and can't help wondering if this isn't a (perhaps feeble) attempt at image adjustment. It isn't like there's a single accidental frame in the commercial. What are they trying to accomplish?

Don't matter. Coach K can't cheat time. He will continue to decline every year and his teams will be younger and harder to coach. He's digging his retirement early and I love it.

Don't kid yourself into thinking K won't win at least one more title before he retires/dies. The NCAA will make sure of it and the odds are in his favor.

Don't kid yourself into thinking K won't win at least one more title before he retires/dies. The NCAA will make sure of it and the odds are in his favor.

If I have to choke down a title, one that might ultimately set him up perfectly to retire "on top".. then so be it.

I like Duke's chances to win another either this year or next.. but he has yet to show he can handle inexperienced and entitled freshman. He has yet to do anything without veterans and leadership in several key positions.

If college basketball can last 2-3 years, it'll be over and done with. He'll be stuck with freshman by then, almost 75, and surely with more health problems, all while having to hit the recruiting trail double time each season.. Meanwhile Cal has had a few seasons to retool his approach (aiming for recruits earlier now).

At worst, K will retire if/when the NBA makes a big rule change. He's not going to build a team from scratch when he's 74 and take his hits for two years just to MAYBE have a title-worthy team by 77.

It AMAZES me how the people in charge at Nike would decide to create a commercial that would piss UK fans off!

I am sick of the college basketball world taking UK and it's fans for granted!! We are the BIGGEST and the BEST!! We spend more money than ANY other fans of NCAA Basketball.

It's not just Nike, several others(media, NCAA itself) are constantly disrespecting the UK program. I'm tired of it!!

ADVERTISEMENT