ADVERTISEMENT

NiK Scalzo

Jack Pilgrim at KSR said he returns to be the third string QB. I suspect this is an incorrect assessment, as Coen has not seen any QB compete for UK’s new offense.

I think Nik will be in the fight for starter come spring, along with the other QBs on the team. I suspect Stoops and Coen encouraged him to stay for that opportunity. How things look after spring is anyone’s guess.

That kids family seemed like realistic and reasonable people. His Dad would tell me what my Dad would ,and that’s stay and fight for your position and make them have to play you. Your always a snap away from taking the reigns in the game of football.

After watching him on the Netflix QB1 series we really liked the whole family and he has shown a heart and desire just to play the game. UK put a sizable investment in his rehab and well being ,so it’s hard to just write him off if your coach Stoops and company IMO.

Weather he’s a starter or backup he just won me over again. Now I hope he comes out and competes and gets a jump on the offensive scheme etc. so he’s ready from day 1.

Many thanks to the Scalzo family for trusting our staff enough to bring him back for the battle.

Likely did not get a lot of interest from other high profile teams after entering the portal and realized UK may still be his best opportunity. With a new OC coming in, it's his best option to at least wait until after Spring practice to make that big of a decision.

Likely did not get a lot of interest from other high profile teams after entering the portal and realized UK may still be his best opportunity. With a new OC coming in, it's his best option to at least wait until after Spring practice to make that big of a decision.
This. Kid didn’t have many offers and was set to go to Harvard before Gran offered him. I’m wondering if somebody told him to wait to graduate and use that free year of eligibility before transferring.

Just saw h has withdrawn from the transfer portal. Now gives us 4 scholarship QBs competing next season.
cd478ec4-3946-4f79-ba71-9fc7a59108fe.jpg

Always good to have backup QBs to run scout team and you never know what can happen. We have lost 3 and 4 QBs just a couple of years ago. Go watch Nik on QB1 great show he seemed to be great kid.

Reactions: Greasy Creak Mafia
Look before he got injured he was one of the top rated QB's in Florida. Had he not got injured I think UK would have had a hard time holding on to him. I do not have any idea how his 2 rehabs went but if he is 90% he will be better than anybody else on the roster. IF i SAY If he is healthy.

Check out the scout team clips in this piece. Nik is very impressive, especially his reads and ball-faking. His lack of height hurts him, but he appears to have legit skills and moxey. He's impressive in these clips.

Nik Scalzo withdraws from the transfer portal | Kentucky Sports Radio
After putting his name in the NCAA transfer portal back on January 6, Nik Scalzo has reportedly decided to withdraw his name from the portal on Thursday
kentuckysportsradio.com

I saw him play twice in high school against other great teams. He was the best player on the field. There were probably a dozen division one players playing. It maybe a bit much now I do not know. What I do know if healthy? he is potentially a stud!

Check out the scout team clips in this piece. Nik is very impressive, especially his reads and ball-faking. His lack of height hurts him, but he appears to have legit skills and moxey. He's impressive in these clips.

Nik Scalzo withdraws from the transfer portal | Kentucky Sports Radio
After putting his name in the NCAA transfer portal back on January 6, Nik Scalzo has reportedly decided to withdraw his name from the portal on Thursday
kentuckysportsradio.com
Highlight films can be misleading but I see no reason why this kid can't compete for a starting position. I would imagine they are all fairly close, one or 2 things may be the difference maker in who starts. Nice to see how well he moves and has some speed it seems even after multiple surgeries.

Can throw from multiple arm angles, that's a good thing. Quick question..... If we can call play action fakes and sell them that well with the scout team, WTH was going on with the first team? J/K! Kinda

Can throw from multiple arm angles, that's a good thing. Quick question..... If we can call play action fakes and sell them that well with the scout team, WTH was going on with the first team? J/K! Kinda
Go back and watch our defense (normally good against the pass) against two good play-action teams: Mizzou and Bama.

As we’ve seen....you need some qb depth. I predict if Beau Allen wins the job ...Gatewokd might transfer snd we’d then be a snap away from having to play Keron as true Fr

Reactions: NavyCat88

No. You're not kidding and shouldn't. Let's be honest though. We haven't seen much of that kind of artistry since JLo was here. I've been looking for that for along time since.

Woodson was decent at it, but no one sold it like JLo that I can remember (unless it was Shane Boyd).

Kid made the right choice. No way both potential starters stick. One is gone. That makes Scalzo two which means he will get a chance to put some gameday film together if nothing else

Go back and watch our defense (normally good against the pass) against two good play-action teams: Mizzou and Bama.

Mizzou killed us with the run. 4 yards a pop on 39 carries. The picked up firsts through the air too. We could just never get off the field.

I saw him play twice in high school against other great teams. He was the best player on the field. There were probably a dozen division one players playing. It maybe a bit much now I do not know. What I do know if healthy? he is potentially a stud!
Would guess he was told that he would get a fair chance by Stoops and the new OC. Others that have seen him play say the same thing, he's one of if not the best player on the field. Playing in the largest division in Florida that's impressive. Our coaches don't just gives scholarships without thinking the player can contribute, especially at the QB position. Scalzo's intelligence and abilities will make him a viable option, when needed, IMHO that's what they told him. Cohen's offense may just fit his talents.

As we’ve seen....you need some qb depth. I predict if Beau Allen wins the job ...Gatewokd might transfer snd we’d then be a snap away from having to play Keron as true Fr
That’s my guess on what the Coaching staff may have told him. Gatewood or Allen likely transfer if they lose out. He at worst becomes #2 but he will get a chance to compete for #1.

Why would Allen transfer? He was a true frosh last year and has 4 years of eligibility left. That would seem like an unlikely scenario. Joey may have the edge just because of maturity.
I am more thinking of the opposite.

1. Beau Allen at first glance just fits the Coen/Rams more than Joey....but we need to see them compete in spring to be fair. But ball accuracy Beau is going to win on this vs. Joey. Who is the better/faster decision maker...we'll see. But running with the QB will not be as big a part of Coen's offense vs. Gran's system....that will take away something from Joey's advantage (granted I was not nearly as impressed with what Joey showed running the ball....much slower on his feet than I first imagined)
2. If Beau wins the job...he is a two years younger than Gatewood, so would Joey stay? I have no idea but given the way college QBs overall handle these kind of scenarios...you have to be prepared for if he were to leave.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT