ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Saban's comments on Opt-Outs

There's a difference between Nick Saban's Alabama that regularly plays for the National Championship and Kentucky, that just played in a meaningless Music City Bowl. You're not going to see too many guys opt out that are playing for a title because they actually have something worth playing for. Levis and Rodriguez led us throughout the season, with Levis playing hurt most of the year. We've seen what can happen when guys get hurt right before the draft, so a bowl game between two 7-5 teams doesn't matter.

Neither argument for sitting makes sense and I’m not sure why CFB and all the talkers, writers, etc continue to allow them.

Career ending injury in bowls is extremely rare, how often has it happened?

Then the combine/draft prep argument is even dumber?

Forgoing the ability to show out on a big stage against a good opponent to prep for some cone drills, playing pitch and catch with a bunch of directional school QBs and wrs in Indy who won’t make a team…bull shit…

However, I do think there is a solution in the era of NIL…networks and bowl sponsors should write checks to players…ya get X dollars for dressing, and maybe a little bonus for clocking some field time for at least a couple possessions

Neither argument for sitting makes sense and I’m not sure why CFB and all the talkers, writers, etc continue to allow them.

Career ending injury in bowls is extremely rare, how often has it happened?

Then the combine/draft prep argument is even dumber?

Forgoing the ability to show out on a big stage against a good opponent to prep for some cone drills, playing pitch and catch with a bunch of directional school QBs and wrs in Indy who won’t make a team…bull shit…

However, I do think there is a solution in the era of NIL…networks and bowl sponsors should write checks to players…ya get X dollars for dressing, and maybe a little bonus for clocking some field time for at least a couple possessions
Extremely rare and never makes a big difference when you are talking about the livelihoods of these players. The injuries don't even have to be career-ending, one injury months before the draft can be the difference between a day 1 and day 3 pick, that's a lot of money lost because someone decided to suit up for a bowl game that means little.

This is a message everyone should hear
Dude has opted out of NFL and several college jobs until his ego and drive found a home with a school with same drive to win at all cost . This statement is no different than the big crusade he tried to start about up tempo offensive football was dangerous to the players . Now he runs a up tempo offense lol . Look up Mike Leach’s verbal arguments against Sabans idea’s for a belly laugh .

Extremely rare and never makes a big difference when you are talking about the livelihoods of these players. The injuries don't even have to be career-ending, one injury months before the draft can be the difference between a day 1 and day 3 pick, that's a lot of money lost because someone decided to suit up for a bowl game that means little.
Name 5 examples of kids who dropped draft due to getting hurt in bowl?

We are to the point of making up anything to support a perspective. A guy can pull a hamstring, tweak a shoulder prep for combine as well....but we don't make up scenarios for that.

This is all about $$$$ and doing what a person wants to do vs. not.

Name 5 examples of kids who dropped draft due to getting hurt in bowl?

We are to the point of making up anything to support a perspective. A guy can pull a hamstring, tweak a shoulder prep for combine as well....but we don't make up scenarios for that.

This is all about $$$$ and doing what a person wants to do vs. not.
With doing no research Jaylon Smith and Jake Butt missed out on millions because they played in their bowl games. And at the end of the day, people are allowed to do what they want to do. The players aren't here to serve our wishes and desires over if they play in a random bowl game or not. It's their futures and their careers. Ja'Marr Chase sat out a whole season and still got taken top 5, who cares?

Reactions: qwesley
With doing no research Jaylon Smith and Jake Butt missed out on millions because they played in their bowl games. And at the end of the day, people are allowed to do what they want to do. The players aren't here to serve our wishes and desires over if they play in a random bowl game or not. It's their futures and their careers. Ja'Marr Chase sat out a whole season and still got taken top 5, who cares?
Smith was the one that started this, cost himself a lot of money and was never the same player. If the bowls don't step up and provide insurance for projected top pics (first two rounds?) this will continue. Bowl chairmen make $500k-$1m+ so the money is there. I don't like it but if Levis was my kid with that line and no OC and a top 10 projection I would have supported the decision.

Smith was the one that started this, cost himself a lot of money and was never the same player. If the bowls don't step up and provide insurance for projected top pics (first two rounds?) this will continue. Bowl chairmen make $500k-$1m+ so the money is there. I don't like it but if Levis was my kid with that line and no OC and a top 10 projection I would have supported the decision.
With all of the money in the system there is no reason players in these games shouldn’t be covered

I wonder how many draft eligible Bama players would have played in the Music City Bowl?
You won't see Bama in the MCB because they will never have a season under Saban that lands them there. You create a dominant, winning culture and you will yourself to success.
I've got news for everyone taking shots at Saban...the Sugar Bowl WAS a major step down for Bama. They expect to be in the CFP every year and more importantly, they expect to win it. That's the culture Saban has created at Bama and that's why he's the damn GOAT.

How much money does Levis leave on the table if he drops out of the top 5 maybe even 10 because his immediate peers played?

Recency bias, who’s hot now, what have you done lately is a real factor…

Talk about risking careers..CJ Stroud had more right than anyone to sit…

“Hey guys I got y’all here, I’m projected top 5 and I’m looking at this UGA d line thinking mmmm maybe I’ll just prep for the draft”

Instead he balled out tossed 4 on a defense full of pros that could have wrecked him and his career...

Nick Saban have no problem opting out of LSU to go Miami, he had no problem opting out of Miami to go to Alabama.
Nick Saban finished his seasons both at LSU and Miami before departing for what he considered a better job opportunity. He didn't abandon his team with games still be left to played. That is clearly not the same as a kid abandoning his team to serve his self interests at the end of the year. Levis was injured and I understand him not playing, but any perfectly healthy player who opts out of a final game without an injury cause to me is abandoning their teammates who depend on them....period.

Nick Saban finished his seasons both at LSU and Miami before departing for what he considered a better job opportunity. He didn't abandon his team with games still be left to played. That is clearly not the same as a kid abandoning his team to serve his self interests at the end of the year. Levis was injured and I understand him not playing, but any perfectly healthy player who opts out of a final game without an injury cause to me is abandoning their teammates who depend on them....period.
Again, I preface this by saying I despise the environment we're in. But it just isn't the same. Saban gets paid either way, waiting or not waiting. These players are making decisions, in their mind, gambling on the future vs right now and whether it matters or not to their future. I think it's silly for 5th rounders and such to skip, but I also get it. My greatest frustration with it all is that the schools, coaches, power brokers etc.. could've made all of this much more manageable years ago if they just hadn't gone with 'let's dig in and go with them being amateurs and getting 0 and they also can't transfer at all without us blessing every little thing they do. There was a path to doing some reasonable things that were more fair to everyone, but because they decided to not move off the power structures that were we ended up with utter chaos. They had it good being kingmakers but now everyone is a beggar and people are struggling with that flip. And that’s not even addressing that at a college a coach recruited these kids as though they’ll be there for their tenure and then they aren’t. No reason why that should be viewed as ok but not a kid doing it.

Last edited:
Again, I preface this by saying I despise the environment we're in. But it just isn't the same. Saban gets paid either way, waiting or not waiting. These players are making decisions, in their mind, gambling on the future vs right now and whether it matters or not to their future. I think it's silly for 5th rounders and such to skip, but I also get it. My greatest frustration with it all is that the schools, coaches, power brokers etc.. could've made all of this much more manageable years ago if they just hadn't gone with 'let's dig in and go with them being amateurs and getting 0 and they also can't transfer at all without us blessing every little thing they do. There was a path to doing some reasonable things that were more fair to everyone, but because they decided to not move off the power structures that were we ended up with utter chaos. They had it good being kingmakers but now everyone is a beggar and people are struggling with that flip. And that’s not even addressing that at a college a coach recruited these kids as though they’ll be there for their tenure and then they aren’t. No reason why that should be viewed as ok but not a kid doing it.
Agree with everything you said, but again....if they finish the season, coach or player, that is different than leaving with games left to play. If a coach decided to take another job and left when there was still games left to play I would say the same thing. You are committed for the season...after that season is over then look at your options and make the best decision for yourself whether you are a coach or player.

I'd give his statement more weight if his paycheck wasn't dependent on these self same kids playing no matter how injured they are, or become.
You’re an idiot. These kids play because they have a tremendous amount of respect for their coach. And the university they represent, which is more than you can say for that POC Will Levis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT