ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Saban's comments on Opt-Outs

CondorCat

Sophomore
Oct 22, 2010
Tucker, GA
Alabama didn't have any opt-outs for the Sugar Bowl. Even Bryce Young played.

Nick Saban:
"These guys send a message to everybody that you create value for yourself by playing football. You don't create value for yourself by opting out and saying, "I'm going to get ready for the draft." Because what are you getting ready for? Combine? Half the stuff you do at the combine isn't relative to football.

But when you play against good competition and you play well, that creates value. And I think it speaks volumes of your character when you choose to be a part of your team and you can be counted on to be part of your team, regardless of the circumstances, and you finish the season with your team."

Nick Saban:
"These guys send a message to everybody that you create value for yourself by playing football. You don't create value for yourself by opting out and saying, "I'm going to get ready for the draft." Because what are you getting ready for? Combine? Half the stuff you do at the combine isn't relative to football.

But when you play against good competition and you play well, that creates value. And I think it speaks volumes of your character when you choose to be a part of your team and you can be counted on to be part of your team, regardless of the circumstances, and you finish the season with your team."
He nailed it as usual.

BYoung moved ahead of Levis in the mock drafts because of this. Playing well against one of the best defenses in the country def would've helped Levis' draft stock. Might have helped CRod, but only if he was catching more passes in this one.

The game plan sucked, though, so it is what it is.

lying-coming.gif

Nick Saban:

This is just one small example in a myriad of reasons why Saban is such a winner and develops winners.

Nick Saban:

Nick Saban:

I couldn't agree more with Saban. If you start the season as a team, you should finish the season as a team. Anything less is a cop-out. JMO.

Nick Saban:

Thanks Will. Thanks CRod.

Reactions: RunninRichie
That’s why he’s a champion. The culture at UK is either overly woke or there’s less emphasis on championship caliber athletics. I’m so disappointed in this university.
Well hold up a sec

1. Saban has had kids opt out when Bama didn’t get in playoffs….so let’s not active this stuff does not happen there. Also Kirby has had it at UGA

2. Stoops culture is pretty good at Ky imo. Lots of guys could have opted out and UK is mostly fine compared to others. Josh Allen Benny snell Wandale jamin Davis Fortner Stenberg Kinnard etc.

I don’t think UK football is woke…if Bama wasn’t in playoff mist year…Saban would have a ton more than he’s had. Not solid compare of Ky Bama IMO

It's been heavily rumored it's because they got catastrophic insurance equal to first round signing bonus. Boosters paid the fee.

I agree with the sentiments but if his team had played in our bowl game he would have had opt outs.
His guys don't have "that time of the month" so I'm not so sure his ONLY QB, by FAR best RB, and an extremely IMPORTANT DB sits out.

Bryce Young was going to be picked before Will regardless
There are draft experts that disagree with that take and had it at worse as even money between Young, Stroud, and Levis.

I’d have to say after Young and Strouds performances under the bright lights I’d personally take Stroud first. Young is debatable bc a durability/stature question but I’d still take Young.

There are draft experts that disagree with that take and had it at worse as even money between Young, Stroud, and Levis.

I’d have to say after Young and Strouds performances under the bright lights I’d personally take Stroud first. Young is debatable bc a durability/stature question but I’d still take Young.
Talking heads are paid to produce interest by casting doubt and drama. Will Levis will never go before Young or Stroud. Just wait and see

Reactions: UKat1 and blubo
I'd give his statement more weight if his paycheck wasn't dependent on these self same kids playing no matter how injured they are, or become.
Yeah. And frankly, I'm not aware of anyone's draft status being docked for sitting out

Georgia didn’t have any opt outs either. 😎
When teams in the playoffs start having opt outs , its gonna open a whole new can of worms. A team noses out another team to make the playoffs and then has key players opt out . That won’t go over well.

Last edited:
Free education, they feed and take care of these young men like they’re royalty, train and live as some of the greatest athletes in our history and now they’re paid like CEOs of major corporations! (Some, not all). I think playing the last game of the season should be no question from the overall number 1 pick or the guys last game of his career. Loyalty, respect and your teammates who have bleed for you is enough reason in itself in my worthless opinion. I guarantee in a few years C-Rod will regret his decision to not play this game. Levis probably not because he’ll be making a lot of money! May take him 20 plus years to regret it I suppose. He’s got so many people in his ear telling him how great he is right now he’s believing it. They owe me nothing, but they do owe those guys who played with them and took the same journey. this is just my thoughts about it but I think everyone should play unless of course you’re injured. It’s a game. Play Ball.

That’s why he’s a champion. The culture at UK is either overly woke or there’s less emphasis on championship caliber athletics. I’m so disappointed in this university.
Anyone who watched the Ohio State vs. Georgia game and thinks someday UK will get to that level with Stoops as coach is delusional. The fact the entire coaching staff had a 3rd grade offensive plan tells me that the offensive unit was as motivated as the coach. Somebody tell me how playing in that game and going scoreless help the UK brand.

He's right but I guarantee they have plenty of opt outs if they landed in the mcb. It just is what it is.

BYoung moved ahead of Levis in the mock drafts because of this. Playing well against one of the best defenses in the country def would've helped Levis' draft stock. Might have helped CRod, but only if he was catching more passes in this one.

The game plan sucked, though, so it is what it is.

I think his size will hold him back on draft day. Dude is thin.

However I definitely think stroud probably jumped him. All season analysts wondered how he'd play under pass rush and without a favorable talent disparity. He showed really well

At the same time, it's also pretty apparent Levis is getting drafted high solely on potential. He really struggles in many important aspects of playing the position. Playing another game against that defense probably just highlights those issues and hurts him

Free education, they feed and take care of these young men like they’re royalty, train and live as some of the greatest athletes in our history and now they’re paid like CEOs of major corporations! (Some, not all). I think playing the last game of the season should be no question from the overall number 1 pick or the guys last game of his career. Loyalty, respect and your teammates who have bleed for you is enough reason in itself in my worthless opinion. I guarantee in a few years C-Rod will regret his decision to not play this game. Levis probably not because he’ll be making a lot of money! May take him 20 plus years to regret it I suppose. He’s got so many people in his ear telling him how great he is right now he’s believing it. They owe me nothing, but they do owe those guys who played with them and took the same journey. this is just my thoughts about it but I think everyone should play unless of course you’re injured. It’s a game. Play Ball.
Damn Right! If you don’t want to come here for the long run, please don’t come at all. I do not want to disrespect any player but if you didn’t want to be part of all of it, then go somewhere else. No need in calling out names. Too much invested in time, effort and money. Sickening.

Nick Saban:

Completely agree. Levis and Rodriguez should have read this.

He's right but I guarantee they have plenty of opt outs if they landed in the mcb. It just is what it is.

I think his size will hold him back on draft day. Dude is thin.

However I definitely think stroud probably jumped him. All season analysts wondered how he'd play under pass rush and without a favorable talent disparity. He showed really well

At the same time, it's also pretty apparent Levis is getting drafted high solely on potential. He really struggles in many important aspects of playing the position. Playing another game against that defense probably just highlights those issues and hurts him
Yeah I mean latching onto this stuff saban said doesn’t apply to everyone and it certainly is more of an internal sales job as much as anything. Sitting out makes sense for some and doesn’t for others. Having to play behind our line against Iowa’s D with no coordinator when you’ve also played hurt all season is different from choosing to play for bama. It’s not likely anything in our game was going to ‘help’ Levi’s. I wish he played, I wish there weren’t opt outs at all, but I get it.

Reactions: TCurtis75
I wonder how many draft eligible Bama players would have played in the Music City Bowl?
No one knows for sure. I’ll bet you this though, the pride of wearing that Crimson Jersey runs far deeper than some of the stuff I witnessed Saturday… regardless of what bowl game. I don’t want players that quit.

Reactions: bbncal02
This is just one small example in a myriad of reasons why Saban is such a winner and develops winners.
It’s a mentality. Now with a guy like Will I get it. You’ve been banged up and had like three season altering injuries (or close to it). So I understand opting out of an absolutely meaningless bowl.

But some of these opt outs are pretty weak.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
He makes good points. He just missed one. It’s not his decision.
And also ignores that on multiple occasions he has made decisions to leave teams when he felt his opportunity was better to do something else. He sells to recruits to come to bama because the opportunity to progress there is greater than other places, etc. I don’t dislike saban at all but it’s this hypocrisy that has led to this chaos in the first place. I know a d1 assistant and he talks about how everyones’ heads are spinning in trying to navigate this new environment but he acknowledges very quickly that while this new era needs some order, that coaches and admins and fans have no right to complain. After 100 years of the schools, fans, coaches having all of the ‘power’ the players now have some and some people are having a hard time dealing with the players having influence in the process themselves now. Virtually every coach has left teams at some point while being under contract unless they retire or get fired.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Public Enemy
ADVERTISEMENT