ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Richards in HBO doc on NCAA athletes

High school kids who play football in Texas and generate millions arent paid either. Oh the outrage. These poor college kids who sign up to go to school are only getting paid a stipend, tuition, room, board, books, health insurance, dental, premiums paid on insurance towards injury, elite coaching, elite facilities, marketing, and every meal taken care of. They should give that screw job up and go work at McDonalds, Amazon, landscaping, or whatever job the average 18-22 year old has.

NBA players from 40 years ago paved the way for the overpaid coach layers of today. Does Lebron and his cohorts plan on paying those guys part of their exhorbitant salaries?

It’s either the players or the owners who will get the money, either way it’s exorbitant. But it’s based on the revenue they generate.

Reactions: 420grover
It’s either the players or the owners who will get the money, either way it’s exorbitant. But it’s based on the revenue they generate.

Lebron is claiming that NCAA players deserve more, why don’t the old timers that helped create the popularity of the game today deserve a cut of the astronomical amount of money that the NBA generates?

Lebron is claiming that NCAA players deserve more, why don’t the old timers that helped create the popularity of the game today deserve a cut of the astronomical amount of money that the NBA generates?

well, lets cut your pay at your work.

Reactions: 420grover

A lot of NCAA players could make more if they were allowed to. But they’re not. The question to me isn’t should the schools pay the athletes. that’s a “no” from my perspective. The question should be why can’t these athletes profit off themselves like every other college student?

well, lets cut your pay at your work.
I’m not the one that started the complaints. However, if I was fortunate enough to make the kind of money NBA players make, I wouldn’t complain. I just think it’s ironic that Lebron wants to complain about an entity that he was never involved with, but forgets about those that paved the way for him to make a killing.

I am all for the structure of the NCAA to be altered to benefit the players the MOST. Cut the coaches salaries, cut the administrative costs.

Reactions: KFuqua
I’m not the one that started the complaints. However, if I was fortunate enough to make the kind of money NBA players make, I wouldn’t complain. I just think it’s ironic that Lebron wants to complain about an entity that he was never involved with, but forgets about those that paved the way for him to make a killing.

I am all for the structure of the NCAA to be altered to benefit the players the MOST. Cut the coaches salaries, cut the administrative costs.

Lebron...has done so much for communities across USA. Right now, he is one of the major reason for popularity of NBA, along with KD and Steph.

He's also doing something that might help students STAY in college...

I am just curious why so many people will tell Lebron what he should do...but never do it yourself.

A lot of NCAA players could make more if they were allowed to. But they’re not. The question to me isn’t should the schools pay the athletes. that’s a “no” from my perspective. The question should be why can’t these athletes profit off themselves like every other college student?
How are they not allowed to? Does the NCAA have these guys tied up at gunpoint in the basement? What's stopping them from signing a shoe deal or any other endorsement?

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
So if they get paid are they going to have to have the grades to receive full scholarships now or pay tuition? What’s the four year cost to attend UK?

How are they not allowed to? Does the NCAA have these guys tied up at gunpoint in the basement? What's stopping them from signing a shoe deal or any other endorsement?
Because then they wouldn’t be NCAA athletes. I didn’t say 18-22 year olds are not allowed to profit off themselves, I said NCAA athletes are not.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
And it would be so simple to implement.

Reactions: G-PIP
The Title 9 laws will keep the NCAA from paying the football and men’s basketball players anything above a negligible amount of money.

The only way it would work would be if an individual was allowed to profit from his image. Even then only a select few would be able to make much money.

Lebron = largest tool in box . Nick .. how about working on CATCHING THE DAMN BALL !!!! Good grief . Scholly for 4 years is 100k plus . Suck it up buttercups and play ball and quit worrying about your freaking " rights"

Reactions: KFuqua
Not with currency.

If a college scholarship is such a great deal, then let it compete on the open market.

...it does. Athletes can choose to play in the NCAA, go overseas, stay in prep school, train privately, or play Fortnite for a year. Nobody is making them attend college. They almost all do choose college, however, because it is a great deal. It is a huge, deep, competitive league with tons of exposure and great coaching; it’s an ideal environment for teenagers transitioning into adulthood; it’s a free college education; and all-expenses-paid living arrangements.

Pretty easy to see why it beats what the rest of the market is offering. In fact, Division 1 full-ride scholarships are so good that they’ve dominated the market and tricked people like you into thinking that universities are no longer even participating in the marketplace.

...it does. Athletes can choose to play in the NCAA, go overseas, stay in prep school, train privately, or play Fortnite for a year. Nobody is making them attend college. They almost all do choose college, however, because it is a great deal. It is a huge, deep, competitive league with tons of exposure and great coaching; it’s an ideal environment for teenagers transitioning into adulthood; it’s a free college education; and all-expenses-paid living arrangements.

Pretty easy to see why it beats what the rest of the market is offering. In fact, Division 1 full-ride scholarships are so good that they’ve dominated the market and tricked people like you into thinking that universities are no longer even participating in the marketplace.

EXACTLY!!!!

What’s the current reason you don’t like him?
He’s not good at basketball and I’m a Kentucky basketball fan. On a personal level, I’ve never seen anything other him being a good kid and good representative which is why I’m saying I hope he doesn’t say anything stupid.

Lebron = largest tool in box . Nick .. how about working on CATCHING THE DAMN BALL !!!! Good grief . Scholly for 4 years is 100k plus . Suck it up buttercups and play ball and quit worrying about your freaking " rights"
This dude hasn't seen the doc, doesnt know a thing about it, but feels entitled to trash players. Pathetic as usual.

Look at all this jealousy and bitterness.

I also love the notion that a ton of people who actually experience something don't have a valid opinion on it but a guy who was the ninth man for his JV squad thirty years ago has it all figured out.

Unless you'd let your job tell you where to live and when and what to eat while paying you in education, just admit it's a sham we all enjoy for selfish reasons and you're afraid of changing it.

Because then they wouldn’t be NCAA athletes. I didn’t say 18-22 year olds are not allowed to profit off themselves, I said NCAA athletes are not.
Yeah, thems the rules. They arent allowed to accept houses, cars cash, or any other illegal benefit either. They know this going in and choose to play college ball. They're free to go overseas and get paid, G League, workout a year and enter the NBA draft and they can accept any endorsement they want with any of them.

i'll never understand the vitriol reaction for people wanting to make money they can/should be making.

For me, it’s not vitriol so much as wanting to preserve the collegiate system as we know it. Abolishing the principle of amateurism will do more damage than people realize.

Principles of justice and liberty work both ways. Yes, athletes should be free to operate as they please, but so should businesses, schools, and universities. If the NCAA wants to foster competition of a certain character, it is free to impose rules to that end, much in the same way companies can set their own wages, benefits, and policies. Athletes who feel they would be undercompensated are free to refuse the offer of a D1 scholarship, much in the same way medical doctors will refuse to work at McDonald’s.

I will never understand this point of view.

In what other field of labor are these fair options?
(a) Work for hundreds of thousands (if not millions) less than your fair market value.
or
(b) Leave your home country.

In what other field is amateurism forced upon the parties generating the value of the enterprise?

Last edited:
Yeah, thems the rules. They arent allowed to accept houses, cars cash, or any other illegal benefit either. They know this going in and choose to play college ball. They're free to go overseas and get paid, G League, workout a year and enter the NBA draft and they can accept any endorsement they want with any of them.

Absolutely, and they’re also free to try and change the rules.

ADVERTISEMENT