ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Farm Teams

UKat51

Junior
Gold Member
May 9, 2003
Lexington
MLB Baseball has single A and double A and Triple A farm clubs. NHL Hockey has minor leagues. NBA has D league and G league

NFL should develop professional farm teams so players that want to get paid to play football can do so.

NCAA scholarships are very valuable and provide life long benefits for those that participate in college sports.

Easy solution, you want to be paid like a pro, then go pro and avoid the headaches of attending college

MLB Baseball has single A and double A and Triple A farm clubs. NHL Hockey has minor leagues. NBA has D league and G league

NFL should develop professional farm teams so players that want to get paid to play football can do so.

NCAA scholarships are very valuable and provide life long benefits for those that participate in college sports.

Easy solution, you want to be paid like a pro, then go pro and avoid the headaches of attending college

I think it's a great idea, but the NFL doesnt want to fund a farm system, they are perfectly happy with the current system.

So would the nfl be able to draft guys straight from HS? Would players then be able to leave after freshman year for the draft or would they have to stay 3 years if they commit to going to school?

The NFL is doing just fine without having a minor league system. They tried a form of minor leagues with NFL Europe that was around for about 15 years and it really didn’t benefit the NFL. I don’t see it changing.

So would the nfl be able to draft guys straight from HS? Would players then be able to leave after freshman year for the draft or would they have to stay 3 years if they commit to going to school?

All good points. I think it would probably follow the same rules as baseball, but I dont follow it and dont know exactly how it works.

I think it's a great idea, but the NFL doesnt want to fund a farm system, they are perfectly happy with the current system.

If all colleges took the same stance as Washington State, then this college pay for play issue would be diminished. The NFL might want to reconsider if the NCAA schools take a hard line with the players

The only reason football players cannot be drafted now before their 3rd year removed from high school is because of physical stature and strength. If hs players were drafted, they would need to go to a farm team with players of similar physical attributes. Should they go to college on an NCAA scholarship, then current rules could apply with the current 3 year rule.

Isn't that what the $EC and Oh$t is?

Not that it really matters but the NBA only has 1 minor league. The D League was just renamed the G League.

Reactions: wildcatdonf
The only reason football players cannot be drafted now before their 3rd year removed from high school is because of physical stature and strength. If hs players were drafted, they would need to go to a farm team with players of similar physical attributes. Should they go to college on an NCAA scholarship, then current rules could apply with the current 3 year rule.
What stance did Washington State take? Might want to take a look at that first.

I suspect a reason would be a players shelf life. The avg NFL career is what, 3-5 years? If player x spends 2 years in minors, then they may only get 1 good year out of player x. The business case probably doesn't support that.

As someone said earlier, the current system feeds them now ... at no cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: wildcatdonf
I suspect a reason would be a players shelf life. The avg NFL career is what, 3-5 years? If player x spends 2 years in minors, then they may only get 1 good year out of player x. The business case probably doesnt aupport that.

As someone said earlier, the current system feeds them now ... at no cost.

You are also probably talking about a very small percentage of players ever materializing out of a supposed system but you never know what gem might transpire from such a system. Is Kurt Warner the best example of this occurrence?

Reactions: Lost In FL
players put on practice squads is basically like being put in a farm system
only a handful get put on those squads

Not that it really matters but the NBA only has 1 minor league. The D League was just renamed the G League.
Thanks. Another option for players that want to go pro is to take the overseas route. Just another way to get pay for play.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that NCAA schools need to offer a scholarship contract itemizing the benefits. The player has a choice, I.e., either play for a college scholarship or go pro somewhere else where they can get paid.

Reactions: cat888
The players needing to develop can also go to the CFL if they are good enough

At least the NFL respects CFB. The NBA doesn't think twice to screw college sports. F*** the NBA. I've never spent the first nickel on them nor will I ever.

Amateur basketball is ridiculous enough. The fact that people get paid to play the game defies even sarcastic explanation.

You are also probably talking about a very small percentage of players ever materializing out of a supposed system but you never know what gem might transpire from such a system. Is Kurt Warner the best example of this occurrence?
I wasn't thinking of anyone in particular, but he would be the only player I could think of that lasted multiple years after being in a "minor league" of sorts. Good call.

Amateur basketball is ridiculous enough. The fact that people get paid to play the game defies even sarcastic explanation.
Its called capitalism. Ppl buy tickets, watch TV, and buy merch bc said player is on roster....and if players, plural, play well together they win more games which increases all of those things originally stated. They arent just pulling numbers out of a hat and giving it to them.

With that said, an NFL farm team makes no sense.

Exactly. Kids coming out of High School is not close to being ready for the NFL. Not mentally and Especially Not Physically.

Its called capitalism. Ppl buy tickets, watch TV, and buy merch bc said player is on roster....and if players, plural, play well together they win more games which increases all of those things originally stated. They arent just pulling numbers out of a hat and giving it to them.

With that said, an NFL farm team makes no sense.
I'm just clowning around. Honestly.

ADVERTISEMENT