NFL Draft Round 2 JHannibalSmith vs. UKNorse

Who would win head to head

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DraftCat

Senior
Nov 5, 2011
Welcome players to the first ever All-Time NFL Draft. Playoff Bracket

The object of the draft was to build a team of past and current NFL players to beat your opposition in a 1 game playoff (SuperBowl)

Voters please vote on who you best felt accomplished that goal. You will have 2 days and will be able to change your vote if the discussion sways your decision.

@JHannibalSmith

Offense

QB Tom Brady
RB Gayle Sayers
WR Calvin Johnson
WR Cris Carter
WR Steve Smith, Sr
TE Jason Witten
LT Jason Peters
LG Steve Wisniewski
C Russ Grimm
RG David DeCastro
RT Gary Zimmerman

Defense

DE Bruce Smith
DT Randy White
DT Cortez Kennedy
DE Chris Doleman
LB Robert Brazile
LB Mike Singletary
LB Joey Porter
CB Champ Bailey
CB Mike Haynes
S Aeneas Williams
S Willie Wood

vs.

@UKNorse

Offense

QB - John Elway
RB - Walter Payton
WR -DeAndre Hopkins
WR - Tyreek Hill
TE - Rob Gronkowski
TE - Tony Gonzales
C - Jim Otto
RG - Larry Little
LG - Ron Yary
LT - Jim Parker
RT - Willie Anderson

3-4 Defense

CB - Darrelle Revis
CB - Herb Adderley
SS - Paul Krause
FS - Nolan Cromwell
ILB - Jack Lambert
ILB - Brian Urlacher
OLB - Bobby Bell
OLB - Dave Wilcox
NT - Curley Culp
DE - Willie Davis
DE - Nick Bosa

I built my offense around a two tight end set. Which gives me extra blocking against these powerhouse teams.

One of the many advantages of a two-tight end set is I keep the defense guessing. Most think with this set I'm going to run the ball... of course. However with Tony and Gronk I create mismatches on linebackers leading to plenty of successful play action plays.

Tyreek Hill fresh off a 269 yard and 3 TD performance from Sunday will be used in every which way for my offense. Stretching the field, slants, jet sweeps you name it. DeAndre Hopkins has the best hands in the league who can also stretch the field but get me key first downs.

My offense line is full of old stars so they may not jump off the page. But they all have impressive resumes that I'm confident would hold up in modern times.

Defensively we start with my linebacker core of Lambert, Urlacher, Bobby Bell and Dave Wilcox. I feel confident that my drafted crew is the best for the linebacker position. All of them are extremely good in coverage as well.

Revis Island is a thing and his 2009 season against the likes of TO, Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, Chad Johnson and Reggie Wayne.... made all of these receivers invisible that year.

If that isn't enough I drafted Paul Krause who has the most interceptions in NFL history with 81.

I'm confident in my D-Line... Culp is a monster nose tackle who will take up a lot of space for my line backers. Bosa will be an all-time great just needs to keep adding to the resume. Willie Davis once had 25 sacks in a season and is over 120 for his career.

QB-Tom Brady 6-4, 225; arguably the greatest QB of all time, he is ridiculously decorated & is a future first ballot HOFer. He has led NE to 6 SB titles, winning 4 SB MVPs. He is a 3-time NFL MVP, 2-time NFL OPOY, 2009 Comeback POY, 14 Pro Bowls, All-Pro 5 times (3 first team), The Sporting News Athlete Of The Decade 2010s, NFL 2010s All-Decade Team & NFL 100th Anniversary All-Time Team.

RB-Gayle Sayers 6-0, 198; one of the most elusive big play RBs of all time. He was still elected to the HOF despite his career being cut short by injury after only 6 seasons. He was All-Pro 1st Team 5 times, 4 Pro Bowls, 1965 ROY, 1969 Comeback POY, NFL 1960s All-Decade Team & both the NFL 75th & 100th Anniversary All-Time Teams.

WR-Calvin Johnson 6-5, 237; maybe the most physically gifted WR of all time, Megatron was a matchup nightmare & could kill you with his size AND speed, clocked at 4.35 in the 40 & also had a 45 inch vertical jump. He retired in his prime but was as dominant as any WR ever & should be a first ballot HOFer. In his 9 seasons he played in 6 Pro Bowls, All-Pro 4 times (3 first team), NFL 2010s All-Decade Team.

WR-Cris Carter 6-3, 208; the HOFer was one of best big play & most clutch WRs ever. As everyone knows all he does is catch TDs. Not the fastest guy ever but was a very intelligent player & has a case for all time best hands. At 6-3 he’s another WR who’s especially effective in the red zone. He played in 8 Pro-Bowls, All-Pro 3 times (2 first team), & NFL 1990s All-Decade Team.

WR-Steve Smith 5-9, 195; what he lacked in height he made up for in speed & toughness. He has HOF numbers & should get in sooner than later. He played in 5 Pro Bowls, All-Pro 3 times (2 first team) & was the 2005 Comeback POY.

TE-Jason Witten 6-6, 263: he’s an institution at TE in Dallas & is another sure fire HOFer. He’s one of the most complete TEs of all time. His offensive numbers are eye popping & he blocks just as well as he catches the ball. He’s another major threat in the red zone. He’s played in 11 Pro Bowls & has been All-Pro 4 times (2 first team).

LT-Jason Peters 6-4, 328; still active & one of the best OL of his era, his career has been HOF worthy & he should get in eventually. He’s played in 9 Pro Bowls, All-Pro 6 times (2 first team) & NFL 2010s All-Decade Team.

LG-Steve Wisniewski 6-4, 305; one of the great OL of his era he has still yet to receive the call to Canton but it should come some day. He’s known as one of the meanest & dirtiest players of his time. He played in 8 Pro Bowls, All-Pro 8 times (2 first team) & NFL 1990s All-Decade Team.

C-Russ Grimm 6-3, 285; it took much longer than it should’ve but was finally elected to the HOF. A founding member of the Hogs, he played G & C & was arguably the rock of the 80s teams that won 3 SBs. He played in 4 Pro Bowls, All-Pro First Team 4 times & NFL 1980s All-Decade Team.

RG-David DeCastro 6-5, 316; still active & probably another 7-8 years before he’s done. He’s been one of the anchors of the Steelers’ OL since he entered the league & injuries have been the only thing to slow him down. He’s a potential HOFer at his current trajectory. He’s played in the last 5 Pro Bowls & All-Pro 3 times (2 first team).

RT-Gary Zimmerman 6-6, 294; the HOFer was the anchor of the Vikings OL for a decade after beginning his career in the USFL. In his 2 USFL seasons he was First Team All-USFL both years & also named to the All-Time USFL Team. He played in 7 Pro Bowls, All-Pro 8 times (5 first team) & was named to both the NFL 1980s AND 1990s All-Decade Teams.

Instead of saying who I may be leaning towards like I did with the Round 1 posts, I'll keep that a secret this time. This matchup might be my toughest vote yet. As I said in his first round matchup, I'm a big fan of how Norse assembled his squad on both sides. Gonzalez is the best TE of all-time for me while Gronk is arguably the best tight end if you want to talk just pure peak form, though his overall resume isn't quite as impressive as Gonzo's. The two of them together is a nightmare. Then Tyreek and DeAndre Hopkins are basically polar opposites, but it makes them perfect compliments at WR. Then Walter Payton at running back. Man. I talked at length already about his defense and how the Curley Culp pick brings his 3-4 defense all together.

JHannibal has an excellent squad as well. Brady, even though I don't care a ton for him as a fan, his resume can't be denied, especially in the big moments. He's worked with a much worse receiving core than Megatron, Cris "All he does is catch TDs" Carter and Football/Utah Steve Smith (not to be confused with Basketball/Michigan State Steve Smith). Witten's not his best buddy Gronk, but Witten is an excellent all-around TE in his own right, so that should work well. Dominant defense as well. 200 sack man Bruce Smith (too bad Norse didn't get him since he'd be perfect in Norse's 3-4 'D') and The Manster lead the way up front, but Cortez Kennedy and Chris Doleman (21 sacks in 1988 for him) are not slouches. Mike Singletary keeps order in the middle. Champ Bailey and Mike Haynes lock things down at corner and he's got one of my all-time underrated guys at free safety with Aeneas who played mostly corner, but moved to free safety late in his career and also did a great job there as well as another great safety in Willie Wood, who was on those Lombardi Packers teams and racked up Pro Bowl and All-Pro honors.

This should be a semifinal matchup if not a championship matchup. Both you guys are stacked. And sometime before the deadline, you'll know who I voted for. I need to think about this one some more.

DE-Bruce Smith 6-4, 262; one of the best DL ever & with 200 career sacks he’s the all-time leader. He’s also #8 on the career forced fumbles list. He, along with Reggie White, were the two most dominant, pre-eminent & feared pass rushers of their era. He was just as stiff against the run. Smith helped lead Buffalo to 4 consecutive SB appearances on his way to a HOF career. He was NFL DPOY twice, AFC DPOY 4 times, played in 11 Pro Bowls, All-Pro 10 times (8 first team), NFL 1980s AND 1990s All-Decade Teams & NFL 100th Anniversary All-Time Team.

DT-Randy White 6-4, 257; the Manster terrorized offenses his entire HOF career. I remember thinking it felt like his name was called after every play. He was just as mean & tough as he was skilled & graceful. Unofficially he’s credited with 113 sacks & was an elite run stopper as well. He played in 9 Pro Bowls, won a SB MVP, 9 time First Team All-Pro, NFL 1980s All-Decade Team & NFL 100th Anniversary All-Time Team.

DT-Cortez Kennedy 6-3, 306; he only played 11 seasons but was elite in each one en route to a HOF career. He was a dominant run stuffer & a solid pass rusher for a DT, amassing 58 sacks. He was the 1992 NFL DPOY, played in 8 Pro Bowls, All-Pro 5 times (3 first team) & NFL 1990s All-Decade Team.

DE-Chris Doleman 6-5, 285; one of the great, & most underrated, pass rushers of all time. His 150.5 career sacks rank 5th all time, giving me 2 of the top 5 all time sack leaders, & helped punch his ticket to the HOF. Like Smith, he was dominant against the run from the end. He’s also #6 on the all time forced fumbles list with 44. He played in 8 Pro Bowls, All-Pro 5 times (3 first team), 1992 NFC DPOY & NFL 1990s All-Decade Team.

OLB-Joey Porter 6-3, 250; another tough guy, do it all, fan favorite Steeler LBer. His numbers are good enough for Canton but his reputation & on field antics could be a problem. Hopefully not bc he had a great career & helped lead Pittsburgh to a SB title. He was a vicious hitter & was great against the run but also had the speed to play well in coverage & rack up 98 sacks. He once stood alone outside the Ravens’ team bus calling out Ray Lewis, who wanted no part of it. He played in 4 Pro Bowls, All-Pro 4 times (2 first team), selected to the Steelers All-Time Team & NFL 2000s All-Decade Team.

MLB-Mike Singletary 6-0, 230; this HOFer was the ultimate defensive QB & as one of the most intelligent players ever, was basically a coach on the field. He was also a brute & feared hitter. He could diagnose plays before they happened & had everyone in the right place. He was the ultimate run stopper & could also cover TEs. He was just one of the best players of his era regardless of position. He was NFL DPOY twice, NFC POY 3 times, played in 10 Pro Bowls, All-Pro 9 times (8 first team) & NFL 1980s All-Decade Team.

OLB-Robert Brazile 6-4, 245; growing up, Dr Doom is one of the first players I both feared & disliked as a big rival of the Steelers. He was one of the very best LB of his generation & one of the hardest hitters as well, earning a spot in the HOF. He was a complete LB, equally as good against the run, in coverage & rushing the passer. He’s one of the past players who would be a star in any era as he ran a 4.6, 40 at 6-4, 245. He played in 7 Pro Bowls, All-Pro 6 times (5 first team), 1975 NFL DROY & NFL 1970s All-Decade Team.

CB-Champ Bailey 6-0, 192; this first ballot HOFer was one of the best lockdown CB of his era & all time. He had enough size to go up with most WR & his ball skills were off the charts. He was also a good tackler & could come up & stop the run as well. A total package CB. He played in 12 Pro Bowls, All-Pro 7 times (3 first team) & NFL 2000s All-Decade Team.

CB-Mike Haynes 6-2, 192; this HOF corner was elite his entire career & had the size & speed to stay with any WR. He’s one of the best shutdown & complete CBs of his or any other era. He & Lester Hayes are known as one of the greatest CB duos ever. He was the NEA 1984 DPOY, 1976 NFL DROY, played in 9 Pro Bowls, All-Pro 8 times (2 first team), NFL 1980s All-Decade Team & NFL 75th AND 100th Anniversary Teams.

FS-Aeneas Williams 5-11, 200; this HOFer played most of his career at CB, where he was yet another one of the best lockdown CBs of his era. He moved to S later in his career but excelled there as well, making the Pro Bowl at both positions. He was also a complete DB, able to defend the pass & a good tackler who could help with the run. He played in 8 Pro Bowls, All-Pro 5 times (4 first team) & NFL 1990s All-Decade Team.

SS-Willie Wood 5-10, 190; one of only 2 players (Sayers) on my team that were before my time that I never saw play other than highlights. It took quite a while after he retired but he finally was elected to the HOF almost 20 years after he retired. He was part of 7 championship teams with the Packers & was a force in the defensive backfield. He was known as a fast, big hitter & great leaper with ball skills who could take catches away from WR. He was an electric kick returner his first few seasons as well. He played in 8 Pro Bowls, All-Pro 9 times (5 first team) & NFL 1960s All-Decade Team.

This is one that could go either way, but I went with JHannibal's squad. I have to be as unbiased as I can be, and even though JHannibal is a Steelers fan (hey, I'm a Ravens fan lol) and I don't care a ton for Brady from a more biased fan standpoint, it's tough to argue against him in these types of settings. Elway was strong in big games as well, but not quite on Tom's level. Tom helped make Deion Branch a Super Bowl MVP, so he could do wonders with Megatron/Carter/Steve Smith/Jason Witten to throw to. I also feel like JHannibal's pass rush is a little stronger. If Norse had Bruce Smith, who would have been perfect for his 3-4 defense since he dominated in a 3-4 defense for Buffalo, I could have gone the other way. Lastly, I just love JHannibal having three great corners in his secondary. I know Aeneas is playing free safety for him, but I think a lot of people underrate how great a cover corner Aeneas was in Arizona since basically every Arizona team he played for was lousy.

But I'd totally get it if someone voted for Norse. The two tight end set and Tyreek's track speed just opens up all sorts of possibilities for his squad offensively, especially if you guys had made coaches a part of your team and he picked an offensive guru for this squad. Plus his defense as I've said twice before is very well constructed. To run a 3-4, you'd better have a nose tackle, and he got I think the best one with Curley Culp.

This is one that could go either way, but I went with JHannibal's squad. I have to be as unbiased as I can be, and even though JHannibal is a Steelers fan (hey, I'm a Ravens fan lol) and I don't care a ton for Brady from a more biased fan standpoint, it's tough to argue against him in these types of settings. Elway was strong in big games as well, but not quite on Tom's level. Tom helped make Deion Branch a Super Bowl MVP, so he could do wonders with Megatron/Carter/Steve Smith/Jason Witten to throw to. I also feel like JHannibal's pass rush is a little stronger. If Norse had Bruce Smith, who would have been perfect for his 3-4 defense since he dominated in a 3-4 defense for Buffalo, I could have gone the other way. Lastly, I just love JHannibal having three great corners in his secondary. I know Aeneas is playing free safety for him, but I think a lot of people underrate how great a cover corner Aeneas was in Arizona since basically every Arizona team he played for was lousy.

But I'd totally get it if someone voted for Norse. The two tight end set and Tyreek's track speed just opens up all sorts of possibilities for his squad offensively, especially if you guys had made coaches a part of your team and he picked an offensive guru for this squad. Plus his defense as I've said twice before is very well constructed. To run a 3-4, you'd better have a nose tackle, and he got I think the best one with Curley Culp.

For the record I can’t stand Brady either, lol. I don’t like saying nice things about him at all or listing all of his awards & accomplishments. Same for Randy White. I hate the Cowboys & never liked him but his dominance can’t be denied. But, all of these teams are loaded at WR so I wanted to give my team at least a chance to matchup by getting as many shutdown type DBs as possible. Aeneas was a Pro Bowler at CB & S in his career & was ideal. He was on the board too long though & should never have been there when I got him. My OLBs are both pretty nimble & were good in coverage too, so my pass D shouldn’t be outmanned very often.

I was very close to going with a 3-4 defense bc of Smith & technically I still could. Doleman was basically a Jack for the first part of his career & then kept adding weight til he was a full time DE. I think Smith would be just fine in a 4-3 too, though. Seems like I play @UKNorse in all of these. This is my 5th one & we’ve played at least 3 times. Lol. There are a few that I haven’t played once. But, I wouldn’t blame anyone for voting for his team either. There’s really nothing negative to say about his team or any area to pick at. I’d just have to hope my team had the better day.

Reactions: DraftCat
Ty, sir. Your team deserved better. That roster should not be done already. I wish we could’ve gotten more votes. Maybe we should’ve tried to slip the playoffs in on Rafters too. Lol.

Yea the lack of votes in my NFL and Baseball draft was disheartening just because they took the longest to do. But Kentucky is a basketball school lol

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
ADVERTISEMENT