ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting New Year's (early) morning update

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Darin Hinshaw has evaluated 17 quarterbacks, according to the mentor of Stephen Johnson, the JUCO quarterback we first introduced now two days ago. Kentucky offered Johnson. At one point they were looking at maybe checking out some players committed elsewhere. Hinshaw and Gran really like Johnson a lot. I'm going to have a very lengthy, very in-depth and informative update for you tomorrow, but for now here's the long and short: Johnson will officially visit Kentucky right after the dead period. He's unlikely to take any other visits. His grades need to check out and they will have to cross T's and dot i's but Johnson appears to be the guy they've set their sights on.

Thanks for the update, JRow. Really like Johnson a lot. People are going to complain about his ranking, but he has terrific physical tools, and he excels at the kind of passes that Gran likes to have in his offense. Also the kind of QB that will help immensely at practicing against the read-option.

I'm really pumped about this. He's a player who can definitely contribute next year and not just be a depth filler.

I like to hear that Hinshaw has done that kind of in depth review and settled on a guy. Very professional and encouraging.

Reactions: KYDave32 and cat888
Better hope they get it right with this kid because there is zero margin for error based on the current situation KY finds itself with its QB roster.

He better be be much faster than that to be a dual threat QB in the SEC!!

ZOMGGZ I KNO RITE?!!!?! HE NEED 2 RUN 4.17 FORTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, he does look faster than 4.78 (which is listed on his Hudl). He looks faster than Towles, who was fast enough. Towles just didn't have scrambling instincts it seems. Johnson looks pretty calm in the pocket, and he can take off quick enough without sacrificing form and footwork.

Thanks for the update, JRow. Really like Johnson a lot. People are going to complain about his ranking, but he has terrific physical tools, and he excels at the kind of passes that Gran likes to have in his offense. Also the kind of QB that will help immensely at practicing against the read-option.

Are you kidding? People are ALREADY whining about his ranking, his competition, his offers. Screw it. If we like him, I'm all for it. True on all accounts as well. Excellent post.

Rowland, this kid seems like a great athlete. Will there be a portion of the article pertaining to his recruitment out of high school? In-depth on why he wasn't recruited much or decided to go to a school like Grambling State? I know injury forced him to JUCO, but anything else is a bit of an unknown.

Thanks for the info. You do some really great work and we appreciate it.

I like that it gives us a different look then with Barker. Sometimes, as we have seen, changing QBs can really be a game changer when one is so different then the other.

Reactions: cat888 and mtn cat1
I like he gives us a different look however in his video he looked good but everyone seemed to be moving slow - SEC defenses gonna be flying around way faster than that.

There are some legitimate concerns raised here, but wouldn't you think that our new OC and QB coach have thought about them also, and they think he is about the best we can do at this point IF he is the one they bring in?

And for Christ sake, if he gets here and is trying hard and doing his best and still isn't pulling all the games out of the fire for us I for one would appreciate it if you wouldn't act like he stole your lunch money for the last 20 years.

I take from this Gran & Hinshaw aren't satisfied with going into 2016 with Barker/Hoak/Mattingly whereas Dawson was.

Does the academic aspect to this post suggest he will enroll for the spring semester or commit in Feb for a summer admission?

I take from this Gran & Hinshaw aren't satisfied with going into 2016 with Barker/Hoak/Mattingly whereas Dawson was.

I don't know that's fair to say. Phillips only decided to transfer after Dawson was let go. They were going to take somebody else regardless.

Reactions: UKCatnNC

How many coaches would be satisfied with that slim cast? Barker has potential, but is still learning and has not yet consistently played to that potential, not close. Hoak is a true frosh. Mattingly is a walk on whose rep has grown dramatically with some fans since Phillips departed, but ... Really?

2 scholly QBs is a recipe for current and future disaster.

Had Dawson not been fired Phillips would probably still be on the roster.

Had Dawson not been fired Phillips would probably still be on the roster.
Do you think if we had won 6 games that Dawson would still be here? Given what we have seen and heard of the situation that existed between Stoops and Dawson he would have been gone anyway. When Towles' departed we were in the market for a QB that could come in and be ready to take snaps from game 1

Just having a dual-threat option on the roster will be a nice change of pace. This addition is all about depth. Kentucky sinks or swims with Drew Barker next season.

Reactions: CajunBlue
Just having a dual-threat option on the roster will be a nice change of pace. This addition is all about depth. Kentucky sinks or swims with Drew Barker next season.
I'm not sold on that being the case, it is Barker's job to lose but Gran and Hinshaw are familiar with Hoak and Mattingly has gotten some attention from the coaches. It seems that Gran's first order of business was to find a juco or 5th year QB(other posts say he has looked at 17 so far, where did he even find 17 to look at) if that is true it seems plain that they are looking to find someone to challenge Barker for the #1 asap.

Reactions: CATFANFOLIFE87
Are you kidding? People are ALREADY whining about his ranking, his competition, his offers. Screw it. If we like him, I'm all for it. True on all accounts as well. Excellent post.
What is wrong with questioning these things? I hope the kid turns out to be terrific, but I think all the questions so are valid especially with his offer sheet

At UK, we better have coaches who can see the 4 star potential in a player rated 2 stars. Real evaluation is required to grab good players who are overlooked by others. Either you trust our new coaches or you do not.

Do you think if we had won 6 games that Dawson would still be here? Given what we have seen and heard of the situation that existed between Stoops and Dawson he would have been gone anyway. When Towles' departed we were in the market for a QB that could come in and be ready to take snaps from game 1

That's a great question. We were soooo close to getting that sixth win. We would have been preparing for a bowl game and it would have been difficult to make that move prior to the game.

Just based upon reading the tea leaves there were too many differences in philosophy for it to have worked another year. Which begs the question why was he hired in the first place?

That's a great question. We were soooo close to getting that sixth win. We would have been preparing for a bowl game and it would have been difficult to make that move prior to the game.

Just based upon reading the tea leaves there were too many differences in philosophy for it to have worked another year. Which begs the question why was he hired in the first place?
We will probably never know why he was here but my theory is that Lincoln Riley was the first choice and when he didn't/ wouldn't come Stoops didn't want to ask Gran to be second fiddle so he went to Dawson.

If he had it to do over again Gran might have been the first choice back then.It was a better job then than now(we had just gone from 2 to 5 wins) with most of the offense coming back. If we got Gran now you would think we could have gotten him then if he had been the first ask.

I'm not sold on that being the case, it is Barker's job to lose but Gran and Hinshaw are familiar with Hoak and Mattingly has gotten some attention from the coaches. It seems that Gran's first order of business was to find a juco or 5th year QB(other posts say he has looked at 17 so far, where did he even find 17 to look at) if that is true it seems plain that they are looking to find someone to challenge Barker for the #1 asap.

17 sounds like a big number but there are a bunch of QBs out there, both HS and JUCO, who could be available. Article also mentioned they may have looked at QBs committed elsewhere. One would think they at least inquired about Austin Kendall since his brother is a UK walk-on.

As for Johnson, if he can help UK win I'm for it.

17 sounds like a big number but there are a bunch of QBs out there, both HS and JUCO, who could be available. Article also mentioned they may have looked at QBs committed elsewhere. One would think they at least inquired about Austin Kendall since his brother is a UK walk-on.

As for Johnson, if he can help UK win I'm for it.
Me too, if they are putting in that kind of effort and casting that wide of net then you have to think they are leaving no stone unturned, including Kendall

Wonder if the OU transfer or the kid another poster posted about enrolling in Jan are 2 of the 17 our coaches have evaluated? If they have looked at those two QBs and have settled on liking this guy better then he must be pretty good.

ADVERTISEMENT