ADVERTISEMENT

New Turf!!!

They are working late tonight! This is view 1 at 9:00pm
UK_Baseball_turf_install.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sluggercatfan
Players voted to go ahead and move over to new stadium (well duh, that's a no-brainer). They are moving locker room items/practice clothing, etc today. Practice outdoor and hitting still at cliff. Parking in the soccer complex lot.

Reactions: RogerIndy
I was thinking of coming to Lexington for both games, do you have any idea of the schedule? The football start time still shows TBA. I would think the baseball team will work around the football schedule.
Think the SC game has been a night game for the last two years now...so the bb game would need to be a 12-1ish start

It looks like they started to lay down the infield overnight but may have stopped work for the day. I can't imagine it is easy to get anything done there on a football game day.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
This is so cool! They are putting the logo in the turf in the outfield! They dragged it in as one piece, and it looks like they are going to remove the existing turf under it and sew it together.

UK_Baseball_with_logo_20180903.jpg

Last edited:
This is so cool! They are putting the logo in the turf in the outfield! They dragged it in as one piece, and it looks like they are going to remove the existing turf under it and sew it together.

UK_Baseball_with_logo_20180903.jpg
WOW!!! LOOKS AWESOME. You know players and recruits are stoked about playing there:scream::scream::baseball::baseball::clap::boxing:[banana]:boxing::cool2::cool2:

Those must be more than a few days old, I ran by there this AM and the CF scoreboard (or facade?) is just about complete.

Those must be more than a few days old, I ran by there this AM and the CF scoreboard (or facade?) is just about complete.

The still photos I put up don't have the scoreboard in them because of the angle they were taken, just the "batter's eye", a solid-colored, usually dark area beyond the center field wall, that is the visual backdrop directly in the line of sight of the batter. (thanks, wikipedia) Right now, it is just a frame, but eventually will be covered by a black tarp. The scoreboard is actually over the right field wall and is visible in a different camera view and yes, they put the topper on it a few days ago. Unfortunately, I am 400 miles away so I can only see what the "earthcam" shows. All of the cameras are beyond the outfield fence.

Batter's eye? Never heard that one before. But it appears to be complete as of this AM

Batter's eye? Never heard that one before. But it appears to be complete as of this AM

In this view you can see the scoreboard in right field (on the left) and the batter's eye in center field (on the right). As of now it is just a metal frame but eventually it will be covered by a black tarp just like the one at the Cliff and at other college and pro baseball stadiums. Click on the image to see it larger. The idea of a batter's eye is to give the batter a non-distracting background so to make it easier to see the pitched ball. If you look at the photo of CHS in this web site https://stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/cliff-hagan-stadium-s1231 you will see the batter's eye there.

Last edited:

Yep, a lot of stadiums basically have a blank space or neutral space in centerfield so that hitters have a little bit of help picking up the rotation of the baseball. In college a lot of times it is a big wall. In pros it is moreso just an area in the middle where fans aren't sitting. Of course, no everywhere has this, but it is very common in college.

That first picture doesn't look real. Looks like another one of the digital renditions of the field. Pretty crazy.

1CD714E8-2D7F-425C-A107-E21FDA660356_zpsse6jlshc.jpg

5C7F8DDA-808E-48AD-8F24-D2C376DDCCCD_zpseztymybb.jpg

It does look like a digital rendering with that turf the way it's laid out. They're going with the deep brown color Vandy has for their infield. It was definitely built with the fan experience in mind. The concourse will ring the entire stadium so you can get a 360 degree view of the field. There will also be a playground as well. The top view in these two pictures is from the concourse directly in front of the coaching offices. There will be a berm area for seating, a limestone step area where people can bring lawn chairs and blankets, in addition to the chair back seating.

The team will be able to practice and play there soon, but the suites and press boxes will take some time to finish. Another cool feature is the tunnel from the LF bullpen to the indoor facility. Each dugout has wheelchair ramps as well. I believe the video board will be one of the ten largest in the nation. All in all, a fantastic environment for the program to call home!

I hate the dark brown that Vandy has, but it might also be because they went with a darker shade of "grass." Every time I watch one of their games it bugs me because the field looks so dark.

Of course, on the flip side of that, I think UL looks too red, so maybe there isn't a great happy medium.

I still don't know why they didn't build the stadium with more seating. Looks like they could have easily added outfield seats. I wonder if that will hurt if UK gets to host any regionals.

I still don't know why they didn't build the stadium with more seating. Looks like they could have easily added outfield seats. I wonder if that will hurt if UK gets to host any regionals.

Doubtful. It holds enough after they add seating and everything. Can hold like 10 or 11 thousand.

Here is a pic as of today. The turf is pretty much complete, including the UK logo in the outfield.

Doubtful. It holds enough after they add seating and everything. Can hold like 10 or 11 thousand.

The concrete "steps" that are on the 1st and 3rd base lines I don't quite understand. It looks like an area for "bring your own lawn chair"? Hopefully in the near future we will get permanent seats there.

The concrete "steps" that are on the 1st and 3rd base lines I don't quite understand. It looks like an area for "bring your own lawn chair"? Hopefully in the near future we will get permanent seats there.

One if the things I think they're doing with that section is renting lawn chairs for people who want to buy them in that section as a little extra revenue. I believe they're letting people bring in their own as well, but we'll have to see next season.

ADVERTISEMENT