ADVERTISEMENT

NEW TRANSFERS EVAL

EastCoastYoungCat

Sophomore
Gold Member
Apr 29, 2020
Back here I know it’s late but of course quarantining has been racking up the W’s on you me the past few days. But as promised I did another Eval this time of the transfers but also included one of Dontaie Allen. ALL Opinions Welcomed.

Davion Mintz

• Literally seconds into opening tip he recorded an on ball steal that reminded me of Hagans honestly.
  • He’s a very locked in and engaged defender. Can guard 3’s which is important for this team.
  • Attacks rebounds well, plays a bit bigger than his size.
  • As a lead guard he’s similar to askew as he’s not looking to score but will attack and try to make something happen.
  • I’m sorry guys I just love how he hounds defensively lol (as I type this records another steal), this time on help defense. (It’s 12 mins left in the 1st half btw).
  • Not a bad at shooter at all pretty decent actually. Stronger off the catch.
  • Oftentimes seems to make moves without plans and gets kind of scattered when at least guard or initiating offense.
  • He can be careless with the ball or how should I describe it, loose? Doesn’t have a bad handle or anything but too many turnovers.
  • Has questionable decision making at times.
  • Not creative with the ball. Doesn’t have the handle to maneuver through tighter spaces.
  • In relation to that thread posted with him dunking he wasn’t that explosive on film, maybe he’s improved on that.
  • Struggles finishing at the rim as well

Overall, man I see why the staff loves Mintz and after watching I do believe he’s a perfect fit for this team. I can see him and Cal now almost helping coach defense together with the way he defends. Very reminiscent of Hagans but almost in an even more mature version, of course nowhere near as talented. He’s a GREAT defender and extraordinary help defender. However, he plays extremely hard and I’ll even use one of Cam’s favorite words “FIGHT”. He had a few amazing sequences in the Nova game where he helped off onto Brunson and completely cut him off from the basket forcing him to pick up his dribble THEN closes out on Divincenzo and almost forces a turnover which led to a loose ball and a restart on offense for Nova. Lastly, the mad scramble which was the biggest play on a rebound to pretty much send it into OT he was battling with Pascall AND Divincenzo and hit the ground under the pile and poked the ball out to teammate Khyri Thomas. That was more impressive than anything I saw. He’s an aggressive driver but doesn’t look to score and that’s what he’ll be doing for us. If Askew is ready he’ll certainly be the starter probably from day one as he’s just a more talented player. But Mintz will be maybe the best glue guy in CBB next year and that’s not my UK fandom talking.

Olivier Sarr

• Skilled and adept in the low post. He gets great positioning and is just do damn big in there (pause).
  • Small but very important thing that he does is he ALWAYS KEEPS THE BALL HIGH.
  • Great size and length, and uses it effectively
  • GREAT offensive rebounder, I’m talking 2nd and 3rd offensive rebound type of rebounding.
  • Does a good job off walling his defender.
  • Nice soft touch and shooting stroke as well from FT line.
  • Very good at making a himself and easier target for post entries
  • I’d life him to demand the ball more in the post. No reason why he shouldn’t get at least a post touch every possession on this team. Then again, that’s clearly not entirely on him.
  • Often played in 5-7 min spurts and was not in foul trouble. His backup is more of an active defender type and more athletic so maybe a scheme thing.
  • Oddly, he doesn’t provide as much rim protection for someone his size so expect that role to definitely belong to Jackson. I prefer the idea of if/when both on the floor at the same time. Let Jackson chase the weak side block while Sarr stays grounded use his length to defend and play the rebound at the same time.
  • What I don’t like is when guys attack him and score on him defensively it’s almost like it’s accepted. A man that big should take it personal when guards attack and score over him.
  • Isn’t the quickness or have good foot speed, he tried to defend by using angles and mmm his length. For example, him being caught on a switch with a good, quicker guard is a situation you don’t want him in.
  • Similar to Nick in size but different in athleticism, like quickness off the feet for example it’s not even close with Nick.
  • Another thing that is something to look out for Sarr was either in foul trouble or flirting with it in EVERY film I watched. We were going to see a lot of small ball anyway but I’m sure of it after watching.

Overall, Sarr has an advanced low post game for the college level. He’s big and honestly he plays the way he looks which is a complement since he’s 7’0 255lbs. A little more of a lumberer as opposed to Nick who was an incredible athlete, but he makes up for it in so many other ways. Honestly, a consistent perimeter jumper may be the difference in Sarr being a overseas guy for 10 years or so if he so chooses and a back up NBA center who still rooted in the traditional mode but with new age abilities and tools in his bag and I don’t doubt that that’s what Cal might’ve sold him in in his recruitment. He’s going to be great and a centerpiece and arguably the most important pieces of all pieces to the chase of #9. I’m anxious to see what he looks like as a player if/when he gets to work with KP. I do also believe increased conditioning to UK’s level will help with the foul trouble.

Dontaie Allen

• He has great size for a wing. Every bit of 6’7 and looked about 200lbs then. So I would imagine he may be around 205-210lbs.
  • Fabulous rebounder for a wing as well that wingspan looks crazy even on film.
  • Doesn’t waste time attacking or shy about getting a bucket himself when he sees a shot/opportunity.
  • Underrated basketball IQ
  • Has a bit of a physicality to him offensively he doesn’t mind taking the bumps and contact.
  • Has more of a set shot than a jump shot similar to SGA to give perspective but hey it goes in. Plus with his length he shoots it over a many defenders.
  • Fairly comfortable bringing the ball up the floor as well,
  • Has a bit of a herky jerky style but still quite smooth at the same time it’s unique.
  • Will get in the low and high post and knows how to score there.
  • Doesn’t compete enough defensively, doesn’t get in a stance (I’m sure that has changed somewhat at least lol)
  • Needs to tighten the handle up a little bit.
  • Not the best athlete.
  • Can get out of control at times going downhill but he also didn’t have much help on his team.

Overall I love Dontaie’s game and potential in the program. I hate to give this direct comparison just because of the parallels but he gives me Darius Miller vibes in terms of a guy that can play and potentially guard 2-4. Is big enough and wants to compete, rebounds really well for his size as well. He’s a much bigger body than is spoken or accounted for. He’s a strider on the court when he’s attacking can cover ground quickly he’s really long-limbed. The most encouraging thing was his physicality and how he really welcomes contact and gets a little angry when bumped too much. He’s nowhere near a finished product and will be a multi-year player for sure but man it’s crazy to think he and Camron are possibly battling for scraps because I love both of their potentials. Cal is a goat because through all the bs that has happened the past couple seasons with Recruiting and roster movements, TRANSFERS. He’s built a roster that has gotten things back to what had us rolling in the past and what he likes is COMPETITIVE PRACTICES. Dontaie, Davion, and Cam’ron are good enough to not make things so sweet for Clarke and Boston and I just can’t wait to see all these guys hit the floor together. PLEASE PLEASE LORD LET THE RONEY TONEY GO AWAY!!! ‍♂️

Great job again.

I really like Mintz and glad we got him. With Mintz, Askew really has to earn the spot. Mintz is not going to just let a Freshman have his spot. If Askew starts, it’s because he is better. That will be saying something since Mintz is proven at the high D-1 level.

Right now I have Mintz starting over Askew, but like I said, if Askew earns it, I will feel good about that because he has beaten out a guy with 97 D-1 games and 79 D-1 starts and that’s for a Big East team, not a mid-major.

As for Sarr, I think Cal’s defensive scheme will lend itself to Sarr getting more blocks. That will be something Cal will help him improve. Look at Reid Travis as an example. Travis had more blocks at UK (23) than he had in just over 3 years at Stanford (21). And Travis isn’t in any way, shape, or form a shot blocker. I think Sarr will really improve in that area. Cal and staff are really good at teaching that aspect of the game, IMHO.

Have to agree with you there on Sarr. I think for Askew to beat out Mintz it will all be the mental aspect. He’s a more talented offensive player and an underrated defender in his own right I love it cause I think they both kind of mirror each other. However Askew just has more in his bag offensively but however super young.

As for Sarr I have to agree with you. It is why I say Cal is an X’s and O’s coach just in ways other may not see cause he comes up with schemes that puts his players in best positions to succeed and improving on their weaknesses like you stated with Travis.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
Have to agree with you there on Sarr. I think for Askew to beat out Mintz it will all be the mental aspect. He’s a more talented offensive player and an underrated defender in his own right I love it cause I think they both kind of mirror each other. However Askew just has more in his bag offensively but however super young.

As for Sarr I have to agree with you. It is why I say Cal is an X’s and O’s coach just in ways other may not see cause he comes up with schemes that puts his players in best positions to succeed and improving on their weaknesses like you stated with Travis.

The great thing about Mintz and Askew is that either one can play with or without the ball. We may see them some together, giving us two good shooters and ball handlers together at times. And whichever doesn’t start will be a valuable utility man off the bench. I expect both to play starter minutes regardless.

our team will be great defensively by the end of the year. what were going to need though imo is a small guard that can check a quick guard, or at least one with a tight handle that can distribute. one or the other i think we need.

for the first time in a while we won’t posses a guard who penetrates with the aim to pass once things break down. all our guys will be looking to score and i imagine if our team is “on the floor” it’s going to be about getting it up and crashing the glass for real. i don’t picture this team being able to whip passes into wide open shots off of penetration like last year. when clarke and boston get in there it’s going to be to score, or get fouled. lobs will be there but imo the kick outs won’t be the same end in terms of going around the horn. it’s going to be about that pass to the opposite wing and that being the open look. luckily guys like allen, boston and askew can knock that shot down.

our ddo should be lethal if we can get clarke and boston openings. cal will find a way to get us playing down hill. our penetration and quickness and distributing ability will limit us to a series of two man games, and it should work well. ddo hand offs, high post, or pick and roll. this is why i could see an offense similar to what the fab 5 ran, except instead of the high post initiator it’d be the dribble drive. i would be surprised if we didn’t feature a high post option to feed saar though. it could be our best way to rotate the ball as he is good reverse passer.

another way of saying this is if askew is capable of running the offense without turning it over we will be near unstoppable lol.

our team will be great defensively by the end of the year. what were going to need though imo is a small guard that can check a quick guard, or at least one with a tight handle that can distribute. one or the other i think we need.

for the first time in a while we won’t posses a guard who penetrates with the aim to pass once things break down. all our guys will be looking to score and i imagine if our team is “on the floor” it’s going to be about getting it up and crashing the glass for real. i don’t picture this team being able to whip passes into wide open shots off of penetration like last year. when clarke and boston get in there it’s going to be to score, or get fouled. lobs will be there but imo the kick outs won’t be the same end in terms of going around the horn. it’s going to be about that pass to the opposite wing and that being the open look. luckily guys like allen, boston and askew can knock that shot down.

our ddo should be lethal if we can get clarke and boston openings. cal will find a way to get us playing down hill. our penetration and quickness and distributing ability will limit us to a series of two man games, and it should work well. ddo hand offs, high post, or pick and roll. this is why i could see an offense similar to what the fab 5 ran, except instead of the high post initiator it’d be the dribble drive. i would be surprised if we didn’t feature a high post option to feed saar though. it could be our best way to rotate the ball as he is good reverse passer.

another way of saying this is if askew is capable of running the offense without turning it over we will be near unstoppable lol.
I get what you mean but we really don’t. Mintz is so good defensively he’s that guy. He can guard smaller guys and bigger guys like wings in college.

Back here I know it’s late but of course quarantining has been racking up the W’s on you me the past few days. But as promised I did another Eval this time of the transfers but also included one of Dontaie Allen. ALL Opinions Welcomed.

Davion Mintz

• Literally seconds into opening tip he recorded an on ball steal that reminded me of Hagans honestly.
  • He’s a very locked in and engaged defender. Can guard 3’s which is important for this team.
  • Attacks rebounds well, plays a bit bigger than his size.
  • As a lead guard he’s similar to askew as he’s not looking to score but will attack and try to make something happen.
  • I’m sorry guys I just love how he hounds defensively lol (as I type this records another steal), this time on help defense. (It’s 12 mins left in the 1st half btw).
  • Not a bad at shooter at all pretty decent actually. Stronger off the catch.
  • Oftentimes seems to make moves without plans and gets kind of scattered when at least guard or initiating offense.
  • He can be careless with the ball or how should I describe it, loose? Doesn’t have a bad handle or anything but too many turnovers.
  • Has questionable decision making at times.
  • Not creative with the ball. Doesn’t have the handle to maneuver through tighter spaces.
  • In relation to that thread posted with him dunking he wasn’t that explosive on film, maybe he’s improved on that.
  • Struggles finishing at the rim as well

Overall, man I see why the staff loves Mintz and after watching I do believe he’s a perfect fit for this team. I can see him and Cal now almost helping coach defense together with the way he defends. Very reminiscent of Hagans but almost in an even more mature version, of course nowhere near as talented. He’s a GREAT defender and extraordinary help defender. However, he plays extremely hard and I’ll even use one of Cam’s favorite words “FIGHT”. He had a few amazing sequences in the Nova game where he helped off onto Brunson and completely cut him off from the basket forcing him to pick up his dribble THEN closes out on Divincenzo and almost forces a turnover which led to a loose ball and a restart on offense for Nova. Lastly, the mad scramble which was the biggest play on a rebound to pretty much send it into OT he was battling with Pascall AND Divincenzo and hit the ground under the pile and poked the ball out to teammate Khyri Thomas. That was more impressive than anything I saw. He’s an aggressive driver but doesn’t look to score and that’s what he’ll be doing for us. If Askew is ready he’ll certainly be the starter probably from day one as he’s just a more talented player. But Mintz will be maybe the best glue guy in CBB next year and that’s not my UK fandom talking.

Olivier Sarr

• Skilled and adept in the low post. He gets great positioning and is just do damn big in there (pause).
  • Small but very important thing that he does is he ALWAYS KEEPS THE BALL HIGH.
  • Great size and length, and uses it effectively
  • GREAT offensive rebounder, I’m talking 2nd and 3rd offensive rebound type of rebounding.
  • Does a good job off walling his defender.
  • Nice soft touch and shooting stroke as well from FT line.
  • Very good at making a himself and easier target for post entries
  • I’d life him to demand the ball more in the post. No reason why he shouldn’t get at least a post touch every possession on this team. Then again, that’s clearly not entirely on him.
  • Often played in 5-7 min spurts and was not in foul trouble. His backup is more of an active defender type and more athletic so maybe a scheme thing.
  • Oddly, he doesn’t provide as much rim protection for someone his size so expect that role to definitely belong to Jackson. I prefer the idea of if/when both on the floor at the same time. Let Jackson chase the weak side block while Sarr stays grounded use his length to defend and play the rebound at the same time.
  • What I don’t like is when guys attack him and score on him defensively it’s almost like it’s accepted. A man that big should take it personal when guards attack and score over him.
  • Isn’t the quickness or have good foot speed, he tried to defend by using angles and mmm his length. For example, him being caught on a switch with a good, quicker guard is a situation you don’t want him in.
  • Similar to Nick in size but different in athleticism, like quickness off the feet for example it’s not even close with Nick.
  • Another thing that is something to look out for Sarr was either in foul trouble or flirting with it in EVERY film I watched. We were going to see a lot of small ball anyway but I’m sure of it after watching.

Overall, Sarr has an advanced low post game for the college level. He’s big and honestly he plays the way he looks which is a complement since he’s 7’0 255lbs. A little more of a lumberer as opposed to Nick who was an incredible athlete, but he makes up for it in so many other ways. Honestly, a consistent perimeter jumper may be the difference in Sarr being a overseas guy for 10 years or so if he so chooses and a back up NBA center who still rooted in the traditional mode but with new age abilities and tools in his bag and I don’t doubt that that’s what Cal might’ve sold him in in his recruitment. He’s going to be great and a centerpiece and arguably the most important pieces of all pieces to the chase of #9. I’m anxious to see what he looks like as a player if/when he gets to work with KP. I do also believe increased conditioning to UK’s level will help with the foul trouble.

Dontaie Allen

• He has great size for a wing. Every bit of 6’7 and looked about 200lbs then. So I would imagine he may be around 205-210lbs.
  • Fabulous rebounder for a wing as well that wingspan looks crazy even on film.
  • Doesn’t waste time attacking or shy about getting a bucket himself when he sees a shot/opportunity.
  • Underrated basketball IQ
  • Has a bit of a physicality to him offensively he doesn’t mind taking the bumps and contact.
  • Has more of a set shot than a jump shot similar to SGA to give perspective but hey it goes in. Plus with his length he shoots it over a many defenders.
  • Fairly comfortable bringing the ball up the floor as well,
  • Has a bit of a herky jerky style but still quite smooth at the same time it’s unique.
  • Will get in the low and high post and knows how to score there.
  • Doesn’t compete enough defensively, doesn’t get in a stance (I’m sure that has changed somewhat at least lol)
  • Needs to tighten the handle up a little bit.
  • Not the best athlete.
  • Can get out of control at times going downhill but he also didn’t have much help on his team.

Overall I love Dontaie’s game and potential in the program. I hate to give this direct comparison just because of the parallels but he gives me Darius Miller vibes in terms of a guy that can play and potentially guard 2-4. Is big enough and wants to compete, rebounds really well for his size as well. He’s a much bigger body than is spoken or accounted for. He’s a strider on the court when he’s attacking can cover ground quickly he’s really long-limbed. The most encouraging thing was his physicality and how he really welcomes contact and gets a little angry when bumped too much. He’s nowhere near a finished product and will be a multi-year player for sure but man it’s crazy to think he and Camron are possibly battling for scraps because I love both of their potentials. Cal is a goat because through all the bs that has happened the past couple seasons with Recruiting and roster movements, TRANSFERS. He’s built a roster that has gotten things back to what had us rolling in the past and what he likes is COMPETITIVE PRACTICES. Dontaie, Davion, and Cam’ron are good enough to not make things so sweet for Clarke and Boston and I just can’t wait to see all these guys hit the floor together. PLEASE PLEASE LORD LET THE RONEY TONEY GO AWAY!!! ‍♂️

Thanks for doing these, really well done. I think you pretty much nailed what I have seen from Sarr. He is such a huge (literally) piece to this team and brings a lot of really strong attributes.

Allen is really an unknown as it relates to college as he hasn't played in so long but I have high hopes for him if he can find a fit on this roster.

One thing I want to get into more is Mintz's defense. I am not sure how people can remotely compare him to Hagans' defensive level at all.

The metrics and numbers all show Mintz's defense has been pretty average to mediocre, even bad in some areas. His defensive rating, defensive wins shares, defensive +/- are all pretty poor. They would have been some of the lowest of the team for UK this past season.

Maybe he has the ability to play good defense but to say he "is so good defensively" or "is great on defense" doesn't make any sense to me right now.

Reactions: EastCoastYoungCat
I would compare Mintz to more of a Dom Hawkins than Hagans. A very good post, but it will take a while for Allen to be as good as Miller on the defensive end. Which Miller took a while also, but he all ready had fundamentals on D, Allen has never even really focused on it.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Sarr we need to be good.

Mintz should be a good 6/7th man.

Anything Allen gives is just a bonus.

I would compare Mintz to more of a Dom Hawkins than Hagans. A very good post, but it will take a while for Allen to be as good as Miller on the defensive end. Which Miller took a while also, but he all ready had fundamentals on D, Allen has never even really focused on it.
IMO Hawk was a better true defender. He stayed in front of his guy and was a pest. He just wasn't constantly going for steals and wasn't as active with his hands.

Hagans was high risk / high reward and was constantly gambling to attempt to get steals. He was often out of position or would trail his man attempting to get backtaps and would be the breakdown defensively that would make everyone have to rotate and help leading to an open shot. He was just so quick and had above average anticipation that he was able to get away with it and make up for the breakdowns. Hagans had elite hands though and was uncanny with getting a hand on the ball in traffic.

Thanks for doing these, really well done. I think you pretty much nailed what I have seen from Sarr. He is such a huge (literally) piece to this team and brings a lot of really strong attributes.

Allen is really an unknown as it relates to college as he hasn't played in so long but I have high hopes for him if he can find a fit on this roster.

One thing I want to get into more is Mintz's defense. I am not sure how people can remotely compare him to Hagans' defensive level at all.

The metrics and numbers all show Mintz's defense has been pretty average to mediocre, even bad in some areas. His defensive rating, defensive wins shares, defensive +/- are all pretty poor. They would have been some of the lowest of the team for UK this past season.

Maybe he has the ability to play good defense but to say he "is so good defensively" or "is great on defense" doesn't make any sense to me right now.
While you make good points and I do agree with some and numbers and metrics are a good measuring tool but I also don’t look at it as the complete measuring stick as they don’t always tell the truth. Honestly that 2018-19 season for Creighton (as those are the game films I watched for Mintz obviously). From what I saw, Mintz was the best defender on the floor and it wasn’t close. As a team Creighton had many moving pieces with Foster partially out of the lineup as a transfer, trying to fit in Alexander and the PG #11( name escapes me atm). Pretty crowded backcourt and often like Cal played different lineups and guys together that often didn’t fit. This resulted in Mintz guarded wings a lot and often he was never beat would get scored on a bit at times being shot over but it’s expected at times. Also was tremendous as a help defender better than on ball actually. But he excels in Australia Hagans at times didn’t. He doesn’t get beat off the dribble as much as Hagans did but he’s not the gambler and pick pocket sort of marksman that Hagans was. He gets steals more by hounding and forcing ball handlers to pick up their dribble.

Great write up again my friend you got some real talent there.

This is no joke here as some will respond back they don't like KSR. But you may want to consider trying to land a internship with a place like that if you are not already doing so.

Another solid write up.
Thanks, all I can say is I am currently pursuing as certain career/role in sports as we speak, but hey I’d be open to it. Just glad you guys like this stuff.

Good report!

The notes are similar to things I've heard
-Mintz is a hard-working on-ball defender with a lot of different offensive skills. A little careless with the ball and tends to take bad shots. More efficient off the ball and better in shorter spurts rather than big minutes. Askew seems to be a good passer and his mindset is getting everyone involved, and with Clarke & Boston being high volume scorers....Askew is probably a better fit along side those guys. Mintz being the best sixth man in the country....a better version of Dom Hawkins and a poor man's DeAndre Liggins.

Reactions: EastCoastYoungCat
OP copy and pasted this.

Haha just teasing...nice write up man. Keep up the solid work.

Im gonna need a breakdown of each poster on this site.

ADVERTISEMENT