ADVERTISEMENT

New technology?

Comebakatz3

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2008

At the beginning of the video you see a wrist band with a screen. Did we get the same type of technology that Vandy used last year where the coach punches in a number and it tells the player/pitcher the play?

What happened to the day the coach signaled the play? Guess I am old school. 😆

What happened to the day the coach signaled the play? Guess I am old school. 😆

I have never heard what players think about it and whether they consider it helpful. Haven't really sought out that type of information, but would be interesting to see those thoughts if I ever came across it.

On one hand, more information doesn't really hurt. Still, how much is really helpful? Knowing a pitch location as a fielder can kind of help them to guess whether the ball might be pushed or pulled, but the pitch still has to hit that location and if it doesn't and a fielder is shaded that way because he thinks the ball will be outside, then a ball hit in the other gap could lead to a double or a triple because of the shading.

Knowing a hitter's tendencies can be pretty helpful, again, to know where they might likely hit the ball, but was this information not really known to college fielders prior to the QB cards, or was it something they memorized? Why are they no longer expected to know it? Is that time that they might have spent learning hitter tendencies now spent on something else, and is it more beneficial?

How much does this speed the game up? Right now the coaches can, at least in league play, use a microphone to directly tell the catcher what pitch they want. Does it speed it up to have them just type in a number and everyone see that on their wrist? Is that helpful to a pitcher's rhythm and for working quickly? Does it cut down on sign stealing, if that is even prevalent enough to worry about in college?

I'm not really against the change. It can be kind of silly looking to have the QB cards on your belt or wrist, but there are likely plenty of things that look silly at first. I just wonder how helpful it actually is, or is it just something that we perceive to be helpful because it is new?

Reactions: MAYHOO22
I went to the intrasquad scrimmage Saturday and the middle infielders were wearing these. I had no clue what they were until seeing this thread. They were very noticeable because both teams were using the same bands so the 2B and SS would leave it laying there for the 'other' team between half-innings.

ADVERTISEMENT