ADVERTISEMENT

New Redshirt rule

This makes things interesting. Will we see frosh RBs, safeties, DBs and LBs playing more STs as we get deeper into the season?

It will be interesting to see if they plan out games to play in or they play in the last 4 or how they will use the FR.

So I guy can play reg season game #12, Conf. Champ game, & both BCS games & still not lose a year of eligibility over that?

At one time the rule was that they could play a certain small percentage of the total season clock. My question then goes to.....how much of those 4 games can they play. Can they play the entire game in each of their 4 games. No matter what the answer to that is, I really think that for once the NCAA got it right. I haven't said that often in my nearly 61 years here on earth. The great coaches will take full advantage of that. I am hoping that Stoops does too. Not a snub at Stoops but so far he hasn't earned that high of praise from me

It is not clear from the article if players can play four complete games, or if they can play In four games. The title says "Players can now play up to 4 games without burning a redshirt." The articles says "Division I football players are now allowed to play in up to four games in a season while keeping a redshirt."

Unless the rule states a snap limit per game, I would think it means the player can play as many snaps as a coach wants in up to four games. that makes more sense. It could be a bookkeeping nightmare to keep track of snap counts or percentage of season game time for the redshirt players.

So I guy can play reg season game #12, Conf. Champ game, & both BCS games & still not lose a year of eligibility over that?

Yep. Great selling points to 5* kids that are thinking about schools like Bama. This rule will help the heavy hitters because now they can promise 5* guys snaps mo matter how many 5* guys are in front of them.

I like it. So now coaches can try players out before they decide to burn a redshirt. This also may come in handy if you have a player out for a few games. Use a redshirt without losing the redshirt to fill a position.

Reactions: RV2
I love this for our RB rotation.

We got 3 upperclass RBs in Snell, King, and Rose.

Add Rodriguez and Smoke to those guys, yeah I'm digging it.

Reactions: BearBryantsWatch
I don’t believe there’s a negative aspect to the rule change. It would be swell if they could make it retro active to any players that burned a redshirt by playing four games or less with eligibility left.

Reactions: USMCWILDCAT
ADVERTISEMENT