ADVERTISEMENT

New Pitching Coach - Dan Roszel from East Carolina

Have to like some of the success. The burning question is whether or not he and ECU were successful due to playing in a bit of a lesser league.

19 years. Experienced. Coming from a very good program. Nice resume and results. Sounds like we got a good one. Carolina Steve will fill us in on him. ECU was in Lou this year at S Reg.
Yes...swept and outscored 26-1 in the two games. Color me not impressed.

Yes...swept and outscored 26-1 in the two games. Color me not impressed.
Tough task playing a hot very very good UL team at their place. You don’t seem to like many if any UK coaches. Got to give this guy a chance. Good resume. Has produced results. Obviously solid. You shouldn’t base a hasty negative opinion on just 2 games.

Tough task playing a hot very very good UL team at their place. You don’t seem to like many if any UK coaches. Got to give this guy a chance. Good resume. Has produced results. Obviously solid. You shouldn’t base a hasty negative opinion on just 2 games.
Didn't say I wouldn't be supportive.

Okay... so I have at least looked at his ERA ranking and his ERA overall since he has been at East Carolina. So, we will do the same comp as I did with UL:

2011: 7 162 2.67
2012: 43 46 3.37
2013: 114 59 4.07
2014: 30 135 2.99
2015: 39 127 3.32
2016: 36 78 3.53
2017: 87 52 4.30
2018: 17 208 3.41
2019: 45 159 3.96

Average: 46 114 3.51
For reference, here are the two years prior to him coming to East Carolina:

2009: 32 4.48
2010: 79 5.25

I suppose I can also play the game and see how he did at College of Charleston between 2008 and 2010.

2008: 226 6.40
2009: 211 6.60
2010: 95 5.41

Clearly, this doesn't tell the whole story, but it at least gives us a glimpse of what he has done and what his team ERAs have looked like over the years.

So, those ERA numbers don't really jump off the page at me and it still begs the question of whether or not he got a benefit from playing lesser opponents.

So, let's see if we can answer that question, or clear up the picture a little bit...

This year East Carolina finished with an RPI of #6 and a SOS ranked 20th. That is pretty solid. They played 25 Q1 games and went 16-9.

Here are those 25 games:

Campbell (50) 6-7 ; 4-3 ; 10-3 ; 12-3
Miss. State (3) 1-4
Ole Miss (16) 3-2
Duke (32) 2-7 ; 6-1
UCF (48) 13-8 ; 7-4 ; 6-5
Houston (45) 0-2 ; 15-3 ; 3-1 ; 13-2
UCLA (2) 5-7 ; 5-8 ; 0-3
UCONN (27) 5-1 ; 5-2 ; 9-7
UNC (14) 9-5
NC State (22) 9-2
Louisville (5) 1-14 ; 0-12

Now that we have at least looked at who they played, let's take a more in depth look at their pitching staff and see if we can find out what it looked like.

Junior lefty Jake Agnos 2.29 ERA was their ace. He went in the 4th round to the Yankees.
Sophomore lefty Alec Burelson 3.28 ERA emerged late but got a lot of starts.
Junior righty Tyler Smith 5.57 anchored them on Saturday and Sunday.
Sophomore lefty Jake Kuchmaner 2.99 pitched mostly on the weekends as well.
Sophomore righty Gavin Williams 4.56 also had a chunk of midweek starts.

In my next segment... I am going to look at each of those 25 games and break it down just a tiny bit.

Last edited:
Game 1:
AT Campbell - Loss 6-7
Gavin Williams got the start in this early midweek game. While the Pirates took the loss and gave up 7 runs, just 2 of those were earned.

Game 2:
AT Miss State - Loss 1-4
A Tuesday tilt in March where Williams once again gets the start. He gave up 2 earned. 3 of the 4 were earned.

Game 3:
AT Ole Miss - Win 3-2
Jake Kuchmaner gets the nod in this victory just a day after lacing them up against State. He went 8.2 and gave up the 2 earned runs.

Game 4:
AT Duke - Loss 7-2
Williams goes in this one and struggled giving up 5 earned in just 1 inning. All 7 were earned.

Game 5:
UCF - Win 13-8
Finally a weekend series against a top 50 team. Agnos gets the start and gives up 6 earned in 4.1 innings of work. 7 of the 8 were earned.

Game 6:
UCF - Win 7-4
Tyler Smith actually went on Saturday in this one and went 4.2 giving up 3 earned. All 4 were earned.

Game 7:
UCF - Win 6-5
Kuchmaner gets the start in this one and gives up 3 earned. All 5 are earned.

Game 8:
Duke - Win 6-1
The Blue Devils tripped to the Pirates in this one and Ryder Giles (3.75 ERA) got the start. He went 3 scoreless. 1 earned run in the game.

Game 9:
AT Houston - Loss 0-2
Agnos on Friday gives up 2 runs, 1 earned.

Game 10:
AT Houston - Win 15-3
Smith goes again on Saturday and gives up 2 earned.

Game 11:
AT Houston - Win 3-1
Kuchmaner starts in this one and gives up that 1 earned.

Game 12:
AT UCLA - Loss 5-7
This is a crazy series to take mid-season. Agnos starts and gives up 4 earned. All 7 in the loss are earned.

Game 13:
AT UCLA - Loss 5-8
Smith once again on Saturday and he gives up 2 earned on the way to the Pirates giving up 7 earned.

Game 14:
AT UCLA - Loss 0-3
Kuchmaner couldn't get any help on Sunday and gave up 2 earned on their way to the combined 3 earned.

Game 15:
UConn - Win 5-1
Agnos was great in this one going 8.2 and giving up the 1 earned.

Game 16:
UConn - Win 5-2
Kuchmaner gets bumped to Saturday and gets ran a bit early as he gives up 2 runs in 2 innings, but none were earned. This was a 7 inning affair.

Game 17:
UConn - Win 9-7
Smith moves to Sunday and goes 5.1 while giving up 3 earned. 6 of the 7 in the win were earned.

Game 18:
AT UNC - Win 9-5
Burleson gets the start in this midweek tilt and goes 4 while only giving up an earned run. All 5 are earned.

Game 19:
Campbell - Win 4-3
The Camels visit and face Odum a sophomore righty with a 7.43 ERA. He goes 2 giving up 1 earned. The Pirates gave up all 3 earned.

Game 20:
Houston - Win 13-2
Conference tournament and Agnos takes the mound giving up just 1 earned. Both runs were earned.

Game 21:
NC State - Win 9-2
This is actually game 2 of the Greenville regional of the NCAA tournament. ECU actually lost game 1 to Quinnopiac 4-5 and got knocked into the loser's bracket. NC State had lost to Campbell. Agnos was great going 8 full and giving up the 2 earned.

Game 22:
Campbell - Win 10-3
These two faced off a lot and this one in the title game of the Greenville regional. Burleson gets the nod and goes 5. All 3 runs were earned.

Game 23:
Campbell - Win 12-3
Pirates had to win two and they got it. Williams got the start and all 3 Camel runs were earned.

Game 24:
AT Louisville - Loss 1-14
Agnos got the start but Louisville was just too good. All 14 are earned.

Game 25:
AT Louisville - Loss 0-12
Burleson starts in this one and it is the same as the day before. All 12 earned.

So... against the top 50 RPI the Pirates gave up 101 runs in 223 innings giving them a team ERA of 4.08. Of course, the last two games stand out a lot. Without those, the ERA would be: 3.29.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Also, just some reference... almost all the SEC teams were in the top 50 in RPI. So, just to make it simple... UK's ERA in conference was 6.09 this year and a year ago it was 6.62.

WOW CB3 you really need to get a life:baseball::baseball::joy::joy::smiley::sunglasses:. Seriously, a good job ,but we'll just have to see how it works out with the personnel he will have on hand at UK. Time will tell and he is probably a much better hire than expected. It's a different animal in the SEC every weekend.

WOW CB3 you really need to get a life:baseball::baseball::joy::joy::smiley::sunglasses:. Seriously, a good job ,but we'll just have to see how it works out with the personnel he will have on hand at UK. Time will tell and he is probably a much better hire than expected. It's a different animal in the SEC every weekend.

Haha... yea, I have a problem.

It is hard to say how our new pitching coach will do. Some numbers are pretty solid, but it doesn't exactly jump off the page as being a home run. I like that Mingione went out and got someone with experience and from a winning program though. He's also been a recruiting coordinator in the past, so that should help.

Even the best of pitching coaches need talent to work with, that seems to be in somewhat short supply at UK right now.
Maybe the new PC can get the maximum out of the minimum in 2020.

Reactions: Big_Blue_1018
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT