ADVERTISEMENT

New Commit

timocee

Sophomore
Apr 21, 2002
Dave Lackford‏@RivalsDave 31m31 minutes ago
Dave LackfordRetweeted T R A W I L K I N S

Kentucky wins a battle over Louisville and Ole Miss for 3-Star (GA) linebacker Tra Wilkins

T R A W I L K I N S‏@Tra7_ 1h1 hour ago
Time To Turn It Up A Level With My Wildcat Family. It’s Official
1f535.png
26aa.png
270d-1f3fe.png
#BBN

DgBCUZsVAAAzAu5.jpg

Mark Stoops, Coach Michael Smith, Rusty Mansell and 3 others

Last edited:
Dave Lackford‏@RivalsDave 31m31 minutes ago
Dave LackfordRetweeted T R A W I L K I N S

Kentucky wins a battle over Louisville and Ole Miss for 3-Star (GA) linebacker Tra Wilkins

Don't know much about him. But he plays for what use to be one of the more talented teams in Georgia, but with all the recruiting that goes on in metro Atlanta high schools most of the top talent ends up at one of the other HS now. The down side even with all that talent they never won a state championship, one year they had 22 kids sign football scholarships, 16 FBS level. One of the most talented and worst coached team.

Don't know much about him. But he plays for what use to be one of the more talented teams in Georgia, but with all the recruiting that goes on in metro Atlanta high schools most of the top talent ends up at one of the other HS now. The down side even with all that talent they never won a state championship, one year they had 22 kids sign football scholarships, 16 FBS level. One of the most talented and worst coached team.
We’ve had a few guys from Stephenson through the years. Jared Tucker, Blaylock twins, Ronnie Shields, etc. I’m sure I’m missing a few.

Reactions: ukalum1988
We’ve had a few guys from Stephenson through the years. Jared Tucker, Blaylock twins, Ronnie Shields, etc. I’m sure I’m missing a few.

Probably most schools around the southeast have had a Grayson alumnus or 2. I wasn't aware the Blaylock twins went there. Their younger brother is committed to UGA and goes to Walton high school on the west side of Atlanta, Stephenson is northeast of Atlanta.not far from Stone Mountain.

Reactions: TNTUK
Probably most schools around the southeast have had a Grayson alumnus or 2. I wasn't aware the Blaylock twins went there. Their younger brother is committed to UGA and goes to Walton high school on the west side of Atlanta, Stephenson is northeast of Atlanta.not far from Stone Mountain.
You’re right. The twins went to Walton. We had a “Shawn Blaylock” from Stephenson - class of 2012, CB. Had’em mixed up.

You’re right. The twins went to Walton. We had a “Shawn Blaylock” from Stephenson - class of 2012, CB. Had’em mixed up.

I wasn't questioning you, people move and I had no idea where the twins went to HS.

Stackhouse is a 20 kid who committed to us a while back. A big position of need hopefully we can hang on to him. It's a school we don't have much luck at. Head Coach's signed with us 10 years or so back as a WR, around the time AJ Green did and didn't play much, dad wasn't thrilled about it.

On a different note, a former UGA WR who was in the NFL, Mohammed Masaquoi if anyone remembers, lost his hand and career in an ATV accident during the off season last. Good guy, decent WR. He was about the same era.

SDS listed his HS as #1 in terms of producing talent, would be huge to get even a few kids from there. We have a commit from the top producing schools from both FL and GA.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
It's been reported he has offers from UGA, tOSU, ALABAMA, As well as others. Ranked 937th though. I'm highly surprised those football teams would offer a guy that low, seems the whole story is not told wether good or bad.

Nice, love me some FL/GA recruits. A 3 star FL/GA recruit to me is a 4 star in most other states.
That's just a myth. No way of knowing. Talent from week to week may be a tad tougher but honestly, wether you're in Texas, Georgia, or Florida on any given team, UNLESS they're an IMG ACADEMY school or the like, you might have 1 D1 guy on a team on AVERAGE. if that. So take that in mind.

That's just a myth. No way of knowing. Talent from week to week may be a tad tougher but honestly, wether you're in Texas, Georgia, or Florida on any given team, UNLESS they're an IMG ACADEMY school or the like, you might have 1 D1 guy on a team on AVERAGE. if that. So take that in mind.

GA/FL have 4 of the top 10 schools in terms of producing D-1 talent. Stephenson is considered one of the top in the country for producing talent alone and have produced 70 D-1 commits (#4 in the United States) in the last 14 years. So yeah, I respectfully disagree with you.

Last edited:
It's been reported he has offers from UGA, tOSU, ALABAMA, As well as others. Ranked 937th though. I'm highly surprised those football teams would offer a guy that low, seems the whole story is not told wether good or bad.

I don't know about tOSU, or Bama and he is showing a UGA offer, but UGA wasn't recruiting him and as far as reported he hasn't visited other than a 7 on 7 tournament type deal., I don't think there was much interest on either side. We signed 5 LB in 18, have 3 committed for 19 and looking to take 2, maybe 3 more. In his film he looks like a good player so a good get.

As I said above, some hard feelings with the head coach and UGA from a few years back. At one time they had more talent than anyone in the state, but not so anymore. Being next door to several schools that recruit players from other programs has really hit them talent wise. They still have a few players, but not like were putting out 15-20 years ago.

I don't know about tOSU, or Bama and he is showing a UGA offer, but UGA wasn't recruiting him and as far as reported he hasn't visited other than a 7 on 7 tournament type deal., I don't think there was much interest on either side. We signed 5 LB in 18, have 3 committed for 19 and looking to take 2, maybe 3 more. In his film he looks like a good player so a good get.

As I said above, some hard feelings with the head coach and UGA from a few years back. At one time they had more talent than anyone in the state, but not so anymore. Being next door to several schools that recruit players from other programs has really hit them talent wise. They still have a few players, but not like were putting out 15-20 years ago.
Grumpy, did you see Dabo's comment re 7 on 7? Paraphrasing it's something like :"If you recruit using 7 on 7 film or info you won't last long in this business." Loved it.

Grumpy, did you see Dabo's comment re 7 on 7? Paraphrasing it's something like :"If you recruit using 7 on 7 film or info you won't last long in this business." Loved it.

I have zero respect for Dabo, I think he is the least gifted coach to ever win a championship, he should give 2 thirds of his salary to his coordinators. He is a recruiting coordinator/cheerleader. His one talent is getting elite coordinators and being able to retain them. , he signed Venerables son in 18 so he is probably there 4-5 more years.

I have zero respect for Dabo, I think he is the least gifted coach to ever win a championship, he should give 2 thirds of his salary to his coordinators. He is a recruiting coordinator/cheerleader. His one talent is getting elite coordinators and being able to retain them. , he signed Venerables son in 18 so he is probably there 4-5 more years.

Yet, he loses coordinators and still wins. The manager coach who recruits and knows talent on the field and sidelines and gives responsibility to his coaches and team can be a damn good coach. Not every coach has to be the coordinator genius, as long as they recruit to a consistent philosophy and know how to find talent. No fan complains about winning.

Yet, he loses coordinators and still wins. The manager coach who recruits and knows talent on the field and sidelines and gives responsibility to his coaches and team can be a damn good coach. Not every coach has to be the coordinator genius, as long as they recruit to a consistent philosophy and know how to find talent. No fan complains about winning.

The ability to identify talent, build teamwork and delegate is the mark of a great manager in any field.

Pre Venerables his team set a record for most points given up on a BCS game, FSU was winning the ACC every year. He was able to hire Venerables and things turned around.

I agree, reconizing and retaining too coordinators is an important skill, which Dabo has, but as for his ability to coach, he wasn't even a good WR coach, but was an elite recruiter and why he was hired.

Reactions: boowee
Excerpt from KSR:
Tra Wilkins could have been a Georgia Bulldawg. The linebacker from Stone Mountain could have been a hometown hero. He could have played alongside his cousin, Mecole Hardman, the wide receiver who scored two touchdowns in the National Championship Game. Instead of following in his family’s footsteps, Wilkins will create his own legacy at Kentucky.

Last night the three-star prospect announced on Twitter a commitment to the University of Kentucky, a decision that incited plenty of push-back from friends and family.

“I’m not going to lie, it was tough,” Wilkins said in a conversation with KSR. Even though Hardman and others wanted him in Athens, Wilkins did not want to play in the shadow of his cousin. “I want to start my own legacy. I want to start my own path. I think Kentucky would be the best place to do that at.”

If he had a commitable offer from UGA, Bama, Ohio St...that alone would make me care less of the Stars rating...that is a 4* or better value.

But even if those schools were not as interested...there is still a ton of very good schools on that kids' list and his measurables are very solid. This kid feels like a very good get which is all we know as fans at this point on any commits.

Understand what you're saying, I'm not a fan of his either. But part of what you said is really the essence of leadership. Get the top talent ... and retain it.

If he had a commitable offer from UGA, Bama, Ohio St...that alone would make me care less of the Stars rating...that is a 4* or better value.

But even if those schools were not as interested...there is still a ton of very good schools on that kids' list and his measurables are very solid. This kid feels like a very good get which is all we know as fans at this point on any commits.

At this time he couldn't commit to UGA, who knows how that would have been on signing day. Don't think he had much interest in UGA or UGA in him, But none of that should matter, he is from one of the areas in metro Atlanta that traditionally produced some of the best talent in Georgia. That's changed over the year with kids ending up at the super programs in Metro Atlanta who have boosters who can offer better housing in nicer areas at less cost.

Reactions: mrschwump
ADVERTISEMENT