ADVERTISEMENT

Never wanted a recruit more

If Cal thought he had zero shot at Zion then I don’t think he wastes his time going to watch him. Just food for thought.

Not sure if I heard it correctly or not, but I thought Vitale said Cal would be watching Zion on television tonight, not in person. Vitale was promoting Zion’s play and the fact that he would be on TV tonight.

Considering the game was in Massachusetts (unless I'm mistaken), I don't think Cal is there. He didn't finish the Vandy presser until about 6:30PM (eastern), and the Zion game has been over for a bit now.

Cal's more than likely not there.

If Cal thought he had zero shot at Zion then I don’t think he wastes his time going to watch him. Just food for thought.

How did you get that from my post? I didn't even mention Zion. I was merely commenting because of the title of the post. I think every UK fan wants Zion and thinks UK has a chance, no matter how miniscule or moderate, but I was simply stating that I've never wanted a recruit more than Wiggins. Personally, I think he is ultimately Clemson bound, but Calipari will certainly go down fighting.

And look what you missed.

I'll never be a member of the Dick Vitale Hate Club. He earned quite a bit of goodwill with me when, while discussing the brackets with the ESPN analysts prior to the 2015 NCAA Tournament, he said "You can have the entire field, as long as I get Kentucky."

Derek...I respect your opinion of DV...but here is why I lost respect for DV...

https://youtu.be/UZPJQrHsIng

So was cal there? Because if he was then obviously we shouldn’t believe the Clemson hype so much. Why would he go if he has already been told he was going to Clemson from Zion? Hmm.

I saw this taking off from the airport in Nashville...
th

Just sayin'

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
So was cal there? Because if he was then obviously we shouldn’t believe the Clemson hype so much. Why would he go if he has already been told he was going to Clemson from Zion? Hmm.

It’s a 2 hour flight from Nashville to the Springfield Massachusetts area on a private plane.

The UK game ended at 6PM Eastern, and Cal did his presser until about 6:30.

That would put him at the Zion game at around 8:45-9PM eastern (at the earliest).

Zion’s game ended before that.

So yeah, maybe Cal went to see him, but he didn’t see his game in person.

The more telling aspect of Zion’s recruitment is that UK has been to see Zion in the last week, as has UNC and South Carolina. This according to Jeff Borzello, 30 minutes ago.

Reactions: LouRoeUmass
When I hear that he thinks he will still have great support from his local people wherever he goes, I feel A LOT better!:sunglasses:

When I hear him say it's a "business", I feel A Lot better!:sunglasses:

When I hear him name Kentucky last when asked which schools have been in contact, I feel A LOT better!:sunglasses:

I like the kid and I want him but his shot needs work. He can drive to the basket with ease now but when he gets to college it’s not gonna be so easy.

It’s a 2 hour flight from Nashville to the Springfield Massachusetts area on a private plane.

The UK game ended at 6PM Eastern, and Cal did his presser until about 6:30.

That would put him at the Zion game at around 8:45-9PM eastern (at the earliest).

Zion’s game ended before that.

So yeah, maybe Cal went to see him, but he didn’t see his game in person.

The more telling aspect of Zion’s recruitment is that UK has been to see Zion in the last week, as has UNC and South Carolina. This according to Jeff Borzello, 30 minutes ago.
Did you see my second post? I think everyone was confused on dick vitale saying he was going to watch him. I think he just meant on the tv.

SO he’s 85% to clemson based i be crystal ball??? But his words say he’s open still and playing local not a major factor??? I say no one knows and they’ve been throwing up some smoke screens

Reactions: morgousky
I just cannot see Zion at UK anymore. I've seen nothing positive for Uk in quite a while.

I agree. Him coming to UK, at this point, would be the same jaw-dropping shocker as Kevin Knox's decision. He put off the official visit to UK multiple times; almost felt like it was a chore by the time he attended Big Blue Madness. And since that point, no positive specific mentions of Kentucky, Calipari, Immanuel Quickley, the desire to win a title, etc. Him referring to his recruitment as a "business decision" is the most positive thing I've heard in awhile, but a person could say that and then commit to Drexel. It's a very non-committal observation. I never felt good energy out of Zion during our recruitment. Most of the buzz came from Quickley. If he commits to UK, huge props to the young man on consistently playing his cards close to the vest.

Reactions: westerncat
SO he’s 85% to clemson based i be crystal ball??? But his words say he’s open still and playing local not a major factor??? I say no one knows and they’ve been throwing up some smoke screens

Maybe, but the fact that he didn’t wait to see what Vanderbilt, Washington, Gabriel, and Knox will do at season’s end is the most telling aspect of his decision timeline.

One might reply, “But he’ll play regardless.” That’s true, but there’s a difference between 35 minutes a game of guaranteed playing time in front of a homegrown fanbase where he’ll be cherished and pampered, and 30 minutes/game where he’ll be challenged on a daily basis, going against an assortment of veterans at his position.

That, and the fact that Clemson’s off to a strong start and the South Carolinian chatter at Zion’s games and amongst the locality is substantial.

1. Now we know why he chose that date, it's his Momma's birthday
  2. UK was in to see him this week
  3. I have no idea where he is going based on anything in that video

I agree. Him coming to UK, at this point, would be the same jaw-dropping shocker as Kevin Knox's decision. He put off the official visit to UK multiple times; almost felt like it was a chore by the time he attended Big Blue Madness. And since that point, no positive specific mentions of Kentucky, Calipari, Immanuel Quickley, the desire to win a title, etc. Him referring to his recruitment as a "business decision" is the most positive thing I've heard in awhile, but a person could say that and then commit to Drexel. It's a very non-committal observation. I never felt good energy out of Zion during our recruitment. Most of the buzz came from Quickley. If he commits to UK, huge props to the young man on consistently playing his cards close to the vest.
I can live with Zion to Clemson. The true shocker, I feel, would be Zion to Duke. The Devils would have the top 3 picks in the next draft. That would be almost unbearable for me as a spectator (meaning, I wouldn’t really want to watch the season unfold), particularly when UK faces the Devils next November.

Reactions: LouRoeUmass
Maybe, but the fact that he didn’t wait to see what Vanderbilt, Washington, Gabriel, and Knox will do at season’s end is the most telling aspect of his decision timeline.

One might reply, “But he’ll play regardless.” That’s true, but there’s a difference between 35 minutes a game of guaranteed playing time in front of a homegrown fanbase where he’ll be cherished and pampered, and 30 minutes/game where he’ll be challenged on a daily basis, going against an assortment of veterans at his position.

That, and the fact that Clemson’s off to a strong start and the South Carolinian chatter at Zion’s games and amongst the locality is substantial.

He doesn’t compare with any of those players you mentioned. He’s in a league of his own but I will conceed that cal never promises anything and he may want maximum minutes.

Doubt very seriously he's worried about JV. Why would he be worried about someone who hasn't even played? Gabriel plays a completely different position. The only 2 players that play a similar position as to what ZW would play are Knox and PJ.
PJ is a stretch 4 imo. Knox is a 3. Zion could be either of those. We have no idea what JV is?

Reactions: westerncat
If he wants to shock the world then clemson will be no shocker. Too much has slipped out from a camp wanting to “shock the world”

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
He doesn’t compare with any of those players you mentioned. He’s in a league of his own but I will conceed that cal never promises anything and he may want maximum minutes.

But those guys feature real competition. All of them will play for pay someday. A junior Gabriel or sophomore Washington aren’t going to fall at Zion’s feet and worship him the way Clemson’s roster would.

Obviously Zion would play ahead of all of them, but UK and Clemson are on opposite sides of the pendulum in terms of day-to-day competition and cultures of challenge. Clemson is the mom-and-pop program that features a local legacy that would be unparalleled. UK features an aggressive coaching staff with a professional mindset at its base.

Two totally different worlds. Saturday will tell us much about Zion’s present mentality regarding those two worlds. Can’t say I find fault in his choice in either scenario.

Doubt very seriously he's worried about JV. Why would he be worried about someone who hasn't even played? Gabriel plays a completely different position. The only 2 players that play a similar position as to what ZW would play are Knox and PJ.
PJ is a stretch 4 imo. Knox is a 3. Zion could be either of those. We have no idea what JV is?

I understand the counter to my point, but Vanderbilt represents an unknown. That’s why he matters as far as timing.

Also, UK will be loaded at guard next year if SGA comes back. Keldon Johnson and SGA could very well represent guys who take a spot in a three guard lineup, especially Johnson. If UK goes with Green/SGA next year in the backcourt, Johnson would compete with Zion for minutes at the three. If Vanderbilt comes back, he might as well. Again, all of this might prove to be beneficial to Zion; he might want the challenge of playing with great players and against them in practice every day. But if he’s seeking minutes and shots, Clemson’s his pick.

Also, I feel Cal pretty much revealed how they (the UK coaching staff) feel about the situation when he publically said that people were bashing UK’s usage of P. J. Washington. His statement represented the first and only time I even heard such chatter. I think the chatter was from the Clemson coaching camp. Cal was adamant that P.J. would be “one of the best players” by the end of the year. I think he was addressing part of Clemson’s sales job on Zion.

This of course, is based on my own inferences.

We shall see next Saturday.

How many have actually watched him play? I don't understand how, against the competition he's against and the size he has he's rated that high.

ADVERTISEMENT