ADVERTISEMENT

Neil Price leaving for Mississippi State

I can't tell you how saddened I am about this. I understand the reason Price moved on. I don't blame him, but man, I really think he was the best baseball voice in college baseball and now I am afraid we're going to take a mighty big step down (and no offense meant) by having Dick Gabriel be the voice.

Really, I can largely attribute Price for my love of UK baseball. I started to follow UK baseball before they had the free and easy access to videos of the events and the only free way to get the games was to listen online, typically through ukathletics.com. I'd sit in my office and listen to the games and would often keep score along with him. Had he not been so good at his job, I don't know that I would have gotten hooked to UK baseball by just listening. I'll miss him terribly.

I can't tell you how saddened I am about this. I understand the reason Price moved on. I don't blame him, but man, I really think he was the best baseball voice in college baseball and now I am afraid we're going to take a mighty big step down (and no offense meant) by having Dick Gabriel be the voice.

Really, I can largely attribute Price for my love of UK baseball. I started to follow UK baseball before they had the free and easy access to videos of the events and the only free way to get the games was to listen online, typically through ukathletics.com. I'd sit in my office and listen to the games and would often keep score along with him. Had he not been so good at his job, I don't know that I would have gotten hooked to UK baseball by just listening. I'll miss him terribly.
Agree. Actually, I thought he was great at everything he called. Women's BB, Soccer. Very professional, easy to listen to and always prepared. Maybe he will return someday?! Did he have previous ties to MSU?

Agree. Actually, I thought he was great at everything he called. Women's BB, Soccer. Very professional, easy to listen to and always prepared. Maybe he will return someday?! Did he have previous ties to MSU?

I don't believe he did. I think it was just Cohen knowing of him and deciding to bring him in. My understanding is that he spent a majority of his life in Tennessee before coming to Kentucky. I think he was born in upper East Tennessee and then went to MTSU.

Please, please, please not Gabriel. He is awful!

Reactions: Tannerdad

Agree, Neil Price has been a welcome addition to UK baseball and Womens' Basketball for the past 12 years or so. I also will miss him, and his clever calls mostly in Baseball.

I don't believe he did. I think it was just Cohen knowing of him and deciding to bring him in. My understanding is that he spent a majority of his life in Tennessee before coming to Kentucky. I think he was born in upper East Tennessee and then went to MTSU.
Yes, he went to HS in Morristown Tn. Then attended Walters State C C, before going to MTSU. He has also filled in for Tom Leach in men's Basketball a couple of times, he is a true professional.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Hey comeback is Gabriel for sure his replacement ?
I hope UK will give consideration to Brian Milan, currently a sports anchor at WKYT. He is the host of Coach Minge's television show, and played baseball at Morehead State. He has done a lot of PxP in several sports while at WYMT in Hazard, and he is a Baseball guy.

I hope UK will give consideration to Brian Milan, currently a sports anchor at WKYT. He is the host of Coach Minge's television show, and played baseball at Morehead State. He has done a lot of PxP in several sports while at WYMT in Hazard, and he is a Baseball guy.
Like this...just don't want DG to get this because he is part of the ole boy crowd. He is terrible at p/p of any sport I've heard him do. Please NO Mitch.

Agree about Brian Milan, would be a good choice. Nothing against Dick Gabriel,nice guy, but will put you to sleep before the first out!

I may be wrong but doesn't JMI hire and assign who calls the games? I'm afraid they will look at it as we already have someone who calls the games. Why hire anyone else.

I believe Dick Gabriel will do a good job because he has knowledge of baseball, first as an umpire and second because he has been around the baseball program forever. I remember going to a few games before they were on the radio and Dick Gabriel and his dog would be at the game. Neil Price had a good delivery but at times focused on his past roots in Tennessee. I understand that not having a color man makes the job a lot tougher because in baseball there are so many slow periods that require some sound.

Well, I am just going to say I will miss him. I thought he did as good a job covering our games as I have ever heard covering baseball. I felt like I was talking with a knowledgeable friend sitting at the game. I could picture the game as it progressed, like I was there. I don't recall wondering what was happening in the game while the announcer wandered all over creation.

I believe Dick Gabriel will do a good job because he has knowledge of baseball, first as an umpire and second because he has been around the baseball program forever. I remember going to a few games before they were on the radio and Dick Gabriel and his dog would be at the game. Neil Price had a good delivery but at times focused on his past roots in Tennessee. I understand that not having a color man makes the job a lot tougher because in baseball there are so many slow periods that require some sound.
Gabe...I'm sorry because you have been around a while, but you are wrong here. DG would be a horrible choice because he will put you to sleep calling games. I never heard much from Price about his roots , but he was never not well prepaired to make a game interesting. That being said, I do think DG will be given the job I just hope not.

Gabe...I'm sorry because you have been around a while, but you are wrong here. DG would be a horrible choice because he will put you to sleep calling games. I never heard much from Price about his roots , but he was never not well prepaired to make a game interesting. That being said, I do think DG will be given the job I just hope not.
Whoever gets the job will most likely do Women's Basketball and Baseball, like N Price did. Not sure D Gabriel at his age, will want to do both. I think he would fill in when WB and Bb conflict in Feb and March, just like he has been doing.

ADVERTISEMENT