ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tourney

Big_Blue_1018

Junior
Oct 5, 2014
I don’t even know if this thread is worth starting. But I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are on the tournament? Whose your pick for Omaha? Who is your national champ? Any sleeper upsets?

My 8 for Omaha: Tennessee, Stanford , Oregon State, Oklahoma, TCU, Miami, Arkansas, Virginia.

My sleeper is Liberty. I have Oklahoma in Omaha but it wouldn’t surprise me to see Liberty come out of that regional. But Texas State could shock some people as well.

Reactions: SeanCain
Notice mid-major types GA Southern, Southern Miss, ECU are hosting. Those programs have been good for a very long time. Will this be the focus for NM's replacement when time comes?

I just don't see Tennessee losing 2 games at any point in this tournament. So, I, unfortunately think they win it all. Hope I am wrong and someone else nips them.

I could see ND winning the Ga Southern regional.

Texas is inconsistent and I could see maybe DBU getting the better of them.

I could definitely see Florida losing to Oklahoma, but both have been inconsistent at times. Florida is very young, but that didn't keep them from the SEC tournament finals. So, we will see if they continue the hot streak.

I am very heavy on the ACC because a lot of their teams just didn't lose many bad games. I think that is a big deal. Avoid those inconsistencies. So, here is what I am taking:

Tennessee
Virginia
TAMU
Va Tech
Wake Forest
UNC
LSU
Oregon State

I think the Miami/LSU regionals is one of the harder ones to pick who will go through. I think someone like Vandy has enough pitching to sneak into the CWS, but they have a tough road. Oklahoma could go, but I think they are somewhat inconsistent, so it will depend on if they put it together for a long enough period. UCLA could be a sleeper. They seem to win a lot of big games and lose a lot of silly ones.

Reactions: Big_Blue_1018
I just don't see Tennessee losing 2 games at any point in this tournament. So, I, unfortunately think they win it all. Hope I am wrong and someone else nips them.

I could see ND winning the Ga Southern regional.

Texas is inconsistent and I could see maybe DBU getting the better of them.

I could definitely see Florida losing to Oklahoma, but both have been inconsistent at times. Florida is very young, but that didn't keep them from the SEC tournament finals. So, we will see if they continue the hot streak.

I am very heavy on the ACC because a lot of their teams just didn't lose many bad games. I think that is a big deal. Avoid those inconsistencies. So, here is what I am taking:

Tennessee
Virginia
TAMU
Va Tech
Wake Forest
UNC
LSU
Oregon State

I think the Miami/LSU regionals is one of the harder ones to pick who will go through. I think someone like Vandy has enough pitching to sneak into the CWS, but they have a tough road. Oklahoma could go, but I think they are somewhat inconsistent, so it will depend on if they put it together for a long enough period. UCLA could be a sleeper. They seem to win a lot of big games and lose a lot of silly ones.
TN's fate will depend on whether they'll be allowed to be juiced and use those tennis ball packed bats.

Reactions: parrott
Notice mid-major types GA Southern, Southern Miss, ECU are hosting. Those programs have been good for a very long time. Will this be the focus for NM's replacement when time comes?

Southern Miss is coached by Scott Berry and he's been there for 21 years as either an assistant or HC. I think he likely stays put. He's 60, so it may be a bit late for him to want to start all over.

Rodney Hennon has been at Ga Southern as head coach for 22 years. He is 52. He has had some ups and downs, but has been to the NCAA tournament 6 times in those 22 years. This is the first time since 2014. Not sure I'd really want to bring him in as head coach at this point.

Cliff Godwin is ECU coach. ECU has just been good regardless of who coaches. Godwin inherited the program from another Godwin (no relation) and they were good under both with both going to NCAA regionals or Super Regionals 5-6 times. Cliff has taken it up a notch. Cliff went to ECU and he's been there since 2015. He has interviewed for other jobs, but not sure how viable he would be as a candidate to leave his alma mater. Also, to note, we took ECU's pitching coach, who Cliff Godwin retained after Billy Godwin left. Obviously, ECU hasn't lost much of a stride. That switch for Roszel still confuses me.

Southern Miss is coached by Scott Berry and he's been there for 21 years as either an assistant or HC. I think he likely stays put. He's 60, so it may be a bit late for him to want to start all over.

Rodney Hennon has been at Ga Southern as head coach for 22 years. He is 52. He has had some ups and downs, but has been to the NCAA tournament 6 times in those 22 years. This is the first time since 2014. Not sure I'd really want to bring him in as head coach at this point.

Cliff Godwin is ECU coach. ECU has just been good regardless of who coaches. Godwin inherited the program from another Godwin (no relation) and they were good under both with both going to NCAA regionals or Super Regionals 5-6 times. Cliff has taken it up a notch. Cliff went to ECU and he's been there since 2015. He has interviewed for other jobs, but not sure how viable he would be as a candidate to leave his alma mater. Also, to note, we took ECU's pitching coach, who Cliff Godwin retained after Billy Godwin left. Obviously, ECU hasn't lost much of a stride. That switch for Roszel still confuses me.
Son's team opened one year at GA Southern. My late wife and I enjoyed that experience, made a wonderful side trip to Savannah which was terrific.

Re coaches being at one place for a long time...was looking at rosters for JUCO WS, many of those coaches are long haulers like 22-27 years.

Son's team opened one year at GA Southern. My late wife and I enjoyed that experience, made a wonderful side trip to Savannah which was terrific.

Re coaches being at one place for a long time...was looking at rosters for JUCO WS, many of those coaches are long haulers like 22-27 years.

A random small school coach to talk about is this guy:

I don't think he needs to be here, but he seems like he's done a really good job with a nothing program and it is pretty wild to me that he's never moved up the ranks.

Reactions: mrschwump
Southern Miss is really good and has some nice pitching. Should give LSU a good run.

Reactions: mrschwump
I have a feeling that about 5 years ago at least 90% of their fan base couldn’t name a single person on the baseball team.

That is giving them entirely too much credit. Prior to last season they wouldn't even have known the name of their coach, nor a single player. Now they're all damn experts about everything because they've had 2 good years.

I love tourney time in college baseball. But damn I wish Kentucky had a program that was in it.

Couple of my buddies l attended the entire three days of games. Last daywasa huge storm and delayed for quite some time. MITCH was shipping out seats when it resumed. One of the most fun times I've had at a UK sporting event. Thought we were on our way with NM.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that about 5 years ago at least 90% of their fan base couldn’t name a single person on the baseball team.
Try 6 months ago. Of course, they could tell you who their 4th string punter is.

Now looks like they're talking about an upgrade to the HS field they currently play on.

On the contrary, I am pulling for UT and Louisville for the simple reason that puts even more pressure on the UK administration to do something to get this program back to a respectable level

That is an interesting take.

I don’t think I could pull for those teams if they were playing the Chinese or Russians!

NM needs to go and I’d say Goodwin of ECU or Bakich of Michigan would be my top choices. Goodwin wins at a smaller school and has been successful for a long time. Bakich wins in the Big10 and has recruiting ties to Midwest which is crucial.

I don’t think I could pull for those teams if they were playing the Chinese or Russians!

NM needs to go and I’d say Goodwin of ECU or Bakich of Michigan would be my top choices. Goodwin wins at a smaller school and has been successful for a long time. Bakich wins in the Big10 and has recruiting ties to Midwest which is crucial.
Like them both, Bakich has been my top choice. Have to wonder if Clemson, where Bakich was an assistant, will make a run at him.

NM makes in the neighborhood of 200K more than both these guys.

Shut yo mouth!!!🤣🤣🤣Never ever NEVER

I hear ya, under normal circumstances, I would be right there with you.

But . . . in retrospect, I think the best thing that ever happened to Kentucky football was watching Louisville build a really good team. UK fans may not like it, but we can understand why we lose a lot to Alabama, Georgia, Florida, etc. But it really galvanized the football fanbase to take an annual ass beating from Louisville, there was simply no way to rationalize them curb stomping us. The UKAA had to up their game, and finally found their man in Mark Stoops who has now built a solid team, capable of being a top 20 contender at least every other year as of late. Personally, I can see the same dynamic coming into play with Tennessee and Louisville in baseball.

I hear ya, under normal circumstances, I would be right there with you.

But . . . in retrospect, I think the best thing that ever happened to Kentucky football was watching Louisville build a really good team. UK fans may not like it, but we can understand why we lose a lot to Alabama, Georgia, Florida, etc. But it really galvanized the football fanbase to take an annual ass beating from Louisville, there was simply no way to rationalize them curb stomping us. The UKAA had to up their game, and finally found their man in Mark Stoops who has now built a solid team, capable of being a top 20 contender at least every other year as of late. Personally, I can see the same dynamic coming into play with Tennessee and Louisville in baseball.

I feel like if it hasn't happened yet. It won't happen. Louisville has had a premier baseball program since like 2007. 15 years and UK admin has shown no sense of urgency at all in trying to match their success. They've been to the CWS 5 times in that stretch. UK has been to the NCAA tournament just 4 times in that same time frame. I mean, that should be a ton of motivation for our administration and instead we're about to enter year number freaking 7 with Nick freaking Mingione, who hasnt taken us to an NCAA tournament in 4 years and whose finished better than 10th in the conference just 1 freaking time.

Damnit. Went a pissed myself off. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT