ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Basketball Corruption Trial Week 2

Canned Heat

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2006
https://sports.yahoo.com/tuesday-impactful-day-yet-college-hoops-corruption-trial-043905489.html

The government will continue their direct examination of Bowen on Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. Then defense attorneys for all three defendants will get their chance.

And that’s when the motivation, and likely the focus of questioning, will flip. It behooves the defense’s case to draw out not just any additional possible NCAA violations, coaches or schools, but to do so with as much detail as possible.

The strategy is that the more the defense can show that the schools themselves do not follow or honor NCAA rules, the more challenging it is for the prosecution to get the jury to believe Gatto, Code and Dawkins actually hurt Louisville and others rather than just participate in a multi-pronged attempt to buy a top recruit. It could also show that myriad people made Tugs Bowen ineligible, not just the three inside the courtroom.

Reactions: UKvisitor
https://sports.yahoo.com/tuesday-impactful-day-yet-college-hoops-corruption-trial-043905489.html

The government will continue their direct examination of Bowen on Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. Then defense attorneys for all three defendants will get their chance.

And that’s when the motivation, and likely the focus of questioning, will flip. It behooves the defense’s case to draw out not just any additional possible NCAA violations, coaches or schools, but to do so with as much detail as possible.

The strategy is that the more the defense can show that the schools themselves do not follow or honor NCAA rules, the more challenging it is for the prosecution to get the jury to believe Gatto, Code and Dawkins actually hurt Louisville and others rather than just participate in a multi-pronged attempt to buy a top recruit. It could also show that myriad people made Tugs Bowen ineligible, not just the three inside the courtroom.
If these defense attorneys are worth a damn the prosecution is in a world of hurt.

Most FBI cases never get to trial,the fact that this one did indicates that the defendants have more than a punchers chance.

Late June 2017. Louisville was hammered by NCAA June 15, 2017. In spite of that, an assistant coach personally paid the father of a recruit. U of L's second run thru the NCAA sausage machine is gonna be something.
Quote Tweet

Bowen Sr. told the jury that Kenny Johnson was initially "flabbergasted" when Bowen approached him for money in late June of 2017. But, according to Bowen Sr., the ex-assistant later agreed to make a single payment #HoopsTrial

Reactions: sambowieshin

Brian Bowen Sr. testifies he said "nothing" to his son and his son's mother about taking cash under the table from Adidas and did not tell the University of Louisville. "I wouldn't want him to be involved in something that's wrong," he told the jury #HoopsTrial

Brian Bowen Sr. says Christian Dawkins told him that an unnamed Creighton University coach was offering $100,000 and a "high-paying job" to him if his son Tugs Bowen chose the school. #HoopsTrial "It was an offer for $100,000, according to Christian," Bowen Sr. tells jury

Brian Bowen Sr. says he took cash from both Shane Heirman and from Tim Anderson to play on high school teams for talented kids. Both are now assistant coaches at DePaul University, according to trial testimony #HoopsTrial

Bowen also testified that then-La Lumiere coach Shane Heirman gave him $8,000 in cash ‘over a period of time’ for Tugs Bowen to play there. Defense attorney Steve Haney said Heirman also gave Bowen $1,400 a month to live in a ‘condo on a lake.
Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) · Twitter

Re: Oregon, Defense attorney Steve Haney asked Bowen Sr., ‘Isn’t it true that Coach (Tony) Stubblefield gave you $3,000 in cash?’ ‘I don’t recall that,’ Bowen said. Asked if he never received money from Oregon, Bowen said, ‘I just don’t recall that’

Brian Bowen Sr testified this morning Louisville asst Kenny Johnson paid his $1300 in cash in a meeting in front of the Galt House in downtown Louisville, where Bowen was staying in a $2300 a month apartment (thread)
Dan Wetzel (@DanWetzel) · Twitter

After Munish Sood gave Bowen the first installment of $19,400 in NJ, Bowen moved to Louisville to be with Tugs but still expected further payments from Dawkins/Adidas On a pair of ‘bat phones,’ Dawkins &Bowen discussed Bowen flying to NYC to meet with Sood to get the second $25K
Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) · Twitter

Brian Bowen Sr. this morning: • Was asked if Oregon assistant Tony Stubblefield gave him $3,000 on an unofficial visit: “I don’t recall that.” • Was asked if he was ever conveyed an offer from UCLA: “I don’t recall that.” • Acknowledged monetary offers from OK State, Creighton
Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) · Twitter

Two more for NCAA to sort out. 1. Alleged Kenny Johnson came after U of L was put on probation in June 2017, which would bring huge penalties into play.

And Oklahoma State coaches, if you're trying to keep cheating on the down low, having the father of a five star recruit driving an $80,000 car in Stillwater seems like a poor strategy. Just saying.
Dan Wetzel (@DanWetzel) · Twitter

1skgy2.jpg

A lot of this sounds like a bunch of "Christian said", or Christian told me"....

How does Bowen Sr guarantee Addidas that his kid will go to U6, unless he tells his kid that they are getting money to go there?

Not sure how Bowen was unaware his dad was getting money, but he just coincidentally picks the school that is paying his dad.

Out of the blue and pretty much no notice. Yeah, that doesn't pass the smell test. He's just understandably protecting his kid.

I don't believe some of what dad Bowen is saying. There is no way the family didn't know of these dealings or atleast his son. To much money being shelled out by various parties over years for someone not to know. Louisville is toast IMO.

Reactions: Cindog28 and awf
no, they fired both Johnson and Fair. Johnson, I met him a time or two, seemed like a decent guy.....Play with sharks, gonna get bit....
He was at IU. We’re there any questions about him when he was there?

UL had already been hammered and Bowen still asked UL for money to pay rent... and got it.

[roll]

This could lead reasonable people to think that this kind of cheating was typical for U6. It is just the way they ran their program......money was no object.......I wonder if they used any foundation money for their shenanigans?

Reactions: Cindog28
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT