ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA asking for congressional assistance...

Don’t know who is telling the truth in this situation but the NCAA rules for football naturally led to this. I will say that I am skeptical that the kid transferred based solely on a verbal promise but maybe. Regardless if they couldn’t see this coming with the redshirt rules unique to football, well that’s on them.

Hey NCAA—how about the changing the idiotic redshirt rule for football instead of begging Congress to do your job? So the QB has played 3 games and is getting a non medical redshirt. Make an appearance in a game in baseball or basketball and you are only eligible for a med red. NCAA and football coaches are reaping what they sowed with the ridiculous nature of non med red rules for football. Giving football players an ability to showcase themselves for several games in an attempt to maximize their NIL was a natural outcome.

1. I thought direct pay for play deals with universities was against NCAA rules... so there's that. Maybe I'm wrong... seems to be the norm these days.

2. Setting that aside, if players are indeed going to engage in such deals with universities, or whomever for that matter, they damn well better get a legally enforceable, signed contract. Demand a contract for such offers, and this business of not being paid what you were promised will stop. Frankly, a lot of this is on the players if they just accept someone's promise to pay them. You want to be a professional athlete, well, then start handling your business like a professional athlete.

The NCAA needs to either do their job or disband. Calling on Congress to act is utter failure and proof they are completely useless. They had the chance to set NIL rules, but weren't smart enough to separate pay for play from NIL. They should've banned schools acting as agents and put the burden on players to make money from their image and likeness, not from sports.

Why is anyone surprised that something like this would happen in of all places Vegas?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT