ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA announces Commission on College Basketball

Seems to me this has more to do with the shoe & apparel companies, the coaches, the aau circuit, and the ncaa's lack of enforcement, than it does with the "one and done." policy per se. As if 2 year players will suddenly make bribery, cheating, and corruption go away. Red herring. pfft.

emmert thought of this during a buffet on a carribean cruise. but at least he took the time to call his lawyer to tell him to write it.

Reactions: bigbluelou
Freshmen ineligibility made no sense way back when and makes even less sense now.

What is the reasoning for this?

Punish thousands of kids because a few of the top kids are receiving benefits or going pro early?

Absolutely awful idea. So the NBA keeps the OAD, freshmen are ineligible - superstars go to school sit out as freshmen, leave at end of the school year for the NBA without ever playing for the school who paid for their free year.
That's definitely one scenario, and it wouldn't be good.

Reactions: brianpoe
The NBA doesn't answer to the NCAA, they'll just say no. What benefit is it to the NBA to give up their one year free preview of young talent?

The NCAA has 1 bargaining chip with the NBA. They can say "early entrants can return even if they are drafted". So then NBA teams would have the added isk of drafting a player in the 2nd half of the first round or in the 2nd round who turns down their offer hoping to get drafted much higher the next year.

What if we offer them a free college education? In addition we can provide NBA hopefuls with a premium stage for NBA scouts to evaluate them. Most of their games will also be nationally televised giving them even more opportunities to be seen by the NBA.

We can also provide them with free room and board, free meal cards, exclusive access to tutors, and an elite staff of strength and conditioning trainers along with a HOF coach.

I think if we can give them all of that we might have an equal exchange of services.
If that's such a good deal then let it compete on the open market.

Option 1 - kids can take the traditional route and get free tuition room and board.
Option 2 - kids can pay their own way, hire agents and take endorsement money.

That's how the free market works. Some kids would probably still opt for Option 1. The kids coming through UK would be better off with Option 2. In neither option would the schools have to share anything, and they would actually profit from some kids putting their own money back into the program.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
this is pure damage control forced by the embarrassment of the fbi findings. if anything is known it's that he doesn't know whether the "vast majority" of coaches know or don't know anything - and if he does know he certainly won't reveal it for very obvious reasons that are consistent with the corrupt nature of the ncaa.

my solution/opinion in general. nba make a league that gets partial state/university funding (temporarily until the NBA can afford to give base pay from royalties) to have players that don't want to go to college join until their age is proper for the nba. the owners seem to want to have a safeguards for buyer's remorse. let the players get paid a minimal professional salary and play against the best nba hopefuls of their age. let the ratings dictate if it's only all about money to everyone.

edit- hopefully you see the hyperbole and know this is the fairest way to solve the ethical dilemma. cut "student-athlete" in half. once and for all and there is no question which one is pretending to be both anymore. those that aren't picked could honestly start working for the league in other ways while maybe attending league sponsored "life classes" where they can hook up a "local hero" up with a job. let the money go to those that want it.

Last edited:
This is all abut the NCAA trying to appear to still be relevant.
The hot-button right now is college basketball because the media found a bone courtesy of the FBI.
The elephant in the room that everyone at the NCAA truly wants to ignore is the corruption in college football. Any money changing hands in college basketball is dwarfed by what gets thrown at top football recruits. Not sure what it would take to blow the lid off that mess though.

This really feels like it is to give them cover for when the pull a gutless fail on punishing UNC-CHeats. When reporters hammer them the ready response will be, "Don't worry. This is one of the things we'll address at our Blue Ribbon Commission meeting."

Possibly, but the releases make it pretty clear this commission is a response to the Indictments and the indications of pervasive influence of the shoe companies. Nothing about academic cheating in there.

Academic corner-cutting is a perpetual problem in all of collegiate athletics. UNCheat just took it to a new level.

Do you favor professionalization?

If you define it as being paid anything in exchange for a service, then yes, absolutely. There's room for it without a complete dissolving of college athletics as we know it.

It could operate the same way it does now except with the money exchanging hands above the table.

Reactions: gossie21
If you define it as being paid anything in exchange for a service, then yes, absolutely. There's room for it without a complete dissolving of college athletics as we know it.

It could operate the same way it does now except with the money exchanging hands above the table.

I don't know, there's so many slippery slopes and cans of worms. Where would it end? That's my fear.

Having a trust set aside as @Aike suggested didn't sound insane to me.

That's the issue. This is already happening, we just don't know how wide-scale it is at this point. If Brian Bowen is worth $100k to a shoe company, then let him get paid. What's the problem? Who does this harm?

Is there any other billion dollar industry that relies primarily on the work product of amateur laborers?

I don't know, there's so many slippery slopes and cans of worms. Where would it end? That's my fear.

Having a trust set aside as @Aike suggested didn't sound insane to me.

Where does it end now though? Like does it make you feel better if it's widespread and entrenched in the system but we just don't know about it and believe it's against the rules?

There are still presents under the tree even if Santa doesn't bring them.

We've been on the slippery slope for decades. And just because something is complex is no excuse to not do it properly. A whole lot of smart people make a whole lot of money in this system. Let them figure it out.

That's the issue. This is already happening, we just don't know how wide-scale it is at this point. If Brian Bowen is worth $100k to a shoe company, then let him get paid. What's the problem? Who does this harm?

Is there any other billion dollar industry that relies primarily on the work product of amateur laborers?

Doesn't really stop the problem. Shoe companies will still push them where they want them if that's the case.

Where does it end now though? Like does it make you feel better if it's widespread and entrenched in the system but we just don't know about it and believe it's against the rules?

There are still presents under the tree even if Santa doesn't bring them.

We've been on the slippery slope for decades. And just because something is complex is no excuse to not do it properly. A whole lot of smart people make a whole lot of money in this system. Let them figure it out.

Honestly you're probably right. I do enjoy the mystery and inside deals that go on because it's entertainment. Blue chips was a great movie, Louisville getting caught has been hilarious. That would all go away.

Honestly you're probably right. I do enjoy the mystery and inside deals that go on because it's entertainment. Blue chips was a great movie, Louisville getting caught has been hilarious. That would all go away.

I think we could still have that. Teams will still cheat. There's too much money to think otherwise. I just don't see the point in holding back a bunch of poor kids who are the source of the revenue in the process.

It won't get rid of the scoundrels. It just gives the good folks a chance to deal with someone besides them.

Reactions: morgousky
The NCAA is a fraud in terms of what they were created for, it’s just a big money making business that only cares about generating every last ounce of revenue.

If that's such a good deal then let it compete on the open market.

Option 1 - kids can take the traditional route and get free tuition room and board.
Option 2 - kids can pay their own way, hire agents and take endorsement money.

That's how the free market works. Some kids would probably still opt for Option 1. The kids coming through UK would be better off with Option 2. In neither option would the schools have to share anything, and they would actually profit from some kids putting their own money back into the program.
I'm all for capitalism and the open market. Let it happen.

No, not even close to an equal exchange of services unfortunately.
Well neither is the pay for being a firefighter/law enforcement. But I don't see anyone raising up arms to demand financial compen
No, not even close to an equal exchange of services unfortunately.
You do realize they are getting all of that in exchange for playing a fun game, right?

This is already allowed in others NCAA sports, such as baseball if I’m not mistaken. Why not basketball?

With CBS paying billions of dollars to the NCAA for rights to the Tournament and ESPN and Fox paying millions more, this "Commission" will do very little to change the scope of college basketball.

The One-and-Done is very beneficial to NCAA Basketball. If the talent level drops, so will the number of viewers. Heck, ESPN uses the college game to promote players that will eventually reach the NBA since they show both.

Well neither is the pay for being a firefighter/law enforcement. But I don't see anyone raising up arms to demand financial compen

You do realize they are getting all of that in exchange for playing a fun game, right?

Both of your responses are pretty childish/naive.

Sure, in a fantasy world where dollars don't matter and supply & demand doesn't exist our hardest working people would be paid the most.

Why does it matter at all if it's fun or not? You're living in a pretend world.

Do away with OAD but also make sure the college players are compensated when their likeness is used, for autographs, etc. Also, screw this committee.

Do away with OAD but also make sure the college players are compensated when their likeness is used, for autographs, etc. Also, screw this committee.

Another UK fan wanting to do away with the OAD, Cal's most vital advantage.

I will never understand it. It is like people haven't been watching for the last 8 years...

Another UK fan wanting to do away with the OAD, Cal's most vital advantage.

I will never understand it. It is like people haven't been watching for the last 8 years...
Absolutely correct. I thought about that when I made the post, and I don’t disagree. With respect, the system is a mess and something has to give. I was more coming from a brainstorming POV.

Absolutely correct. I thought about that when I made the post, and I don’t disagree. With respect, the system is a mess and something has to give. I was more coming from a brainstorming POV.

I'm selfish, I have no desire to fix the system in a way that is detrimental to our success. Lots that can be done without us losing superstars. I would trade the OAD for a 2AD, but not straight to the league.

Can you imagine our squads if 2AD had gone into effect 5-6 years ago????

I'm selfish, I have no desire to fix the system in a way that is detrimental to our success. Lots that can be done without us losing superstars. I would trade the OAD for a 2AD, but not straight to the league.

Can you imagine our squads if 2AD had gone into effect 5-6 years ago????
You’re not wrong, sir. Thanks for being fair. With 2AD and UK, jeebus!

The NBA doesn't answer to the NCAA, they'll just say no. What benefit is it to the NBA to give up their one year free preview of young talent?

Im digging trying to find out why a high school baseball player that stands around for hours gets his choice to leave or stay 3 years and a basketball player cant?
My contention is if the NBA is a solvent industry, they should bear the decision of one's own FREE will. But we know the NBA will stomp and scream . Tough crap, i want a student athlete back and this commission may well decide to swing t pendulum back the other way and have 3 year student athletes if they dont go pro first. Let the Arabs and Italians foot the first year blues playing abroad.
I believe a new College Basketball is on the horizon. I now do not believe Blaze started all this from a SEC scandal, maybe he did, but i believe Emmrt has solicited the help from a federal agency for one main reason.
I believe the coaches who have not, have emailed, called and screamed the OAD has failed as an experiment and they cant sell final four hopes to their recruits. I believe this is the motivator.

What the heck is nonscholastic basetball? I'm guessing they are going to codify UNC***'s practice as state of the art and then granddfather them in so they can get by without punishing UNC***.
I think they mean AAU.

Both of your responses are pretty childish/naive.

Sure, in a fantasy world where dollars don't matter and supply & demand doesn't exist our hardest working people would be paid the most.

Why does it matter at all if it's fun or not? You're living in a pretend world.
It's also naive to use logical fallacies, such as personal attacks, in your argument. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't make me naive or childish and it doesn't mean I live in a fantasy world. If you want to argue from an economics standpoint, that's fine. But instead of basing your entire argument around calling me names, how about actually backing your claim with facts and statistics? As I seem to recall children are the ones who usually devolve to name calling during a discussion.

Also, how far are you willing to go this? Should high school athletes be compensated for the tickets sold to their games? What about junior high? How can we pay student athletes at the college level and not extend it to every level? Should we offer children money for their participation in rec league sports? After all, those leagues are making money off our kids!

And I have no idea what other response your talking about. 2 people replied to my post, one of which I agreed with (and I told him I agreed with him, I was not being sarcastic) and the other you...

Reactions: morgousky
The reason letting players earn money before they leave school will never work is because it creates an unfair advantage. So let's say Nike has a player they want to pay money to, then they have an influence over where the kid goes to school. Most are not gonna like that, and it actually promotes the very thing that schools are getting caught doing now. Having Freshmen ineligible compromises the talent playing NCAA sports, and thus revenue goes down. What seems to be a real problem is that both the NCAA and NBA don't want to really talk about what's best overall, they both just keep trying to strong arm the other. The best way to do this is to make every player draft eligible after they meet the current requirements. After the player is drafted, as long as they don't hire an agent, they can return to school. NBA can only call a player up after the college season is over. If the player is never called up, then upon obtaining a real degree, they are entitled to the contract money they would have earned had they went immediately. The only way a player doesn't get the money is if they are never called up, and don't get a degree. For the owners, the player's salary doesn't count against the cap until they are called up, if that ever happens.

Ben Kenobi only called Mos Eisley the most wretched hive of scum and villainy 'coz in 1977 the NCAA wasn't very well established yet.

Tough crap, i want a student athlete back and this commission may well decide to swing t pendulum back the other way and have 3 year student athletes if they dont go pro first.
And the NBA says tough crap, they will go after any player they want, and no college rule can force the player to turn it down and stay 3 years.
I'm on your side, in that I'd like to see players stay in college longer. But you need to get the idea that an NCAA commission can make that happen out of your head, only if the NBA made a 3 year rule can it happen.

It's also naive to use logical fallacies, such as personal attacks, in your argument. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't make me naive or childish and it doesn't mean I live in a fantasy world. If you want to argue from an economics standpoint, that's fine. But instead of basing your entire argument around calling me names, how about actually backing your claim with facts and statistics? As I seem to recall children are the ones who usually devolve to name calling during a discussion.

Also, how far are you willing to go this? Should high school athletes be compensated for the tickets sold to their games? What about junior high? How can we pay student athletes at the college level and not extend it to every level? Should we offer children money for their participation in rec league sports? After all, those leagues are making money off our kids!

And I have no idea what other response your talking about. 2 people replied to my post, one of which I agreed with (and I told him I agreed with him, I was not being sarcastic) and the other you...

A personal attack is a logical fallacy?

I wasn't calling you names.. the words I used describe your stance on this. Wouldn't wanna see you get called any actual bad names :oops:

Anyway, I never suggested universities/shoe companies should pay players. Clearly payments are being made under the table in college sports. Why not allow the students to earn income from their likeness? It would not only be fair, open, and legal, but also surely cut down on the bribery.

Im digging trying to find out why a high school baseball player that stands around for hours gets his choice to leave or stay 3 years and a basketball player cant?
My contention is if the NBA is a solvent industry, they should bear the decision of one's own FREE will. But we know the NBA will stomp and scream . Tough crap, i want a student athlete back and this commission may well decide to swing t pendulum back the other way and have 3 year student athletes if they dont go pro first. Let the Arabs and Italians foot the first year blues playing abroad.
I believe a new College Basketball is on the horizon. I now do not believe Blaze started all this from a SEC scandal, maybe he did, but i believe Emmrt has solicited the help from a federal agency for one main reason.
I believe the coaches who have not, have emailed, called and screamed the OAD has failed as an experiment and they cant sell final four hopes to their recruits. I believe this is the motivator.

The NBA is allowed to set their own rules just like every other industry.

The NCAA has no control over the NBA. Who cares if the NCAA sets a mandatory 3-year rule? It cannot be enforced.

Reactions: 420grover
Y’all read this a lot differently than I do. I see this as a mechanism to legitimize the corruption over which the NCAA has presided the past two decades. The NCAA has completely, utterly and totally failed. They have failed to provide a level playing field. They have failed to foster integrity in the sport. They have failed to supervise and police the sport. The filth in NC has made a mockery of them for nearly 20 years. U6 has turned to gangster like management. The FBI has dragged the stinking carcass of basketball out in the sun. They can’t seed a tournament. They can’t maintain a level of professionalism among their officials. They cannot discipline their member institutions.

This committee will serve no purpose except to rationalize this complete collapse of the NCAA. The only thing driving them is the Cash Cow.

Reactions: jameslee32
What if we offer them a free college education? In addition we can provide NBA hopefuls with a premium stage for NBA scouts to evaluate them. Most of their games will also be nationally televised giving them even more opportunities to be seen by the NBA.

We can also provide them with free room and board, free meal cards, exclusive access to tutors, and an elite staff of strength and conditioning trainers along with a HOF coach.

I think if we can give them all of that we might have an equal exchange of services.

Not at all at parity or clever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT