ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA announces Commission on College Basketball

• The relationship of the NCAA national office, member institutions, student-athletes and coaches with outside entities, including:
    Apparel companies and other commercial entities, to establish an environment where they can support programs in a transparent way, but not become an inappropriate or distorting influence on the game, recruits or their families.
  • Nonscholastic basketball, with a focus on the appropriate involvement of college coaches and others.
  • Agents or advisors, with an emphasis on how students and their families can get legitimate advice without being taken advantage of, defrauded or risk their NCAA eligibility.
The NCAA’s relationship with the NBA, and the challenging effect the NBA’s so-called “one and done” rule has had on college basketball, including how the NCAA can change its own eligibility rules to address that dynamic.

Creating the right relationship between the universities and colleges of the NCAA and its national office to promote transparency and accountability. The commission will be asked to evaluate whether the appropriate degree of authority is vested in the current enforcement and eligibility processes, and whether the collaborative model provides the investigative tools, cultural incentives and structures to ensure exploitation and corruption cannot hide in college sports.

In dealing with the current issues, I would imagine that the committee will determine it only hurts the college game in trying to deal with agents, etc. They probably end up asking the NBA to rescind the policy, and possibly the NCAA adopts a 2 or 3 year rule similar to the Football 3 year rule.

In dealing with the current issues, I would imagine that the committee will determine it only hurts the college game in trying to deal with agents, etc. They probably end up asking the NBA to rescind the policy, and possibly the NCAA adopts a 2 or 3 year rule similar to the Football 3 year rule.
The NBA doesn't answer to the NCAA, they'll just say no. What benefit is it to the NBA to give up their one year free preview of young talent?

#1 point of discussion should be how do we allow players to profit from the same industry that is making everyone around them exceptionally wealthy.

Yep, but instead they'll use this to look busy and hold meetings and discussion panels to kick the can further down the road for a few more years. Because instead of fairness and common sense, we need bureaucracy and press releases.

• The relationship of the NCAA national office, member institutions, student-athletes and coaches with outside entities, including:
    Apparel companies and other commercial entities, to establish an environment where they can support programs in a transparent way, but not become an inappropriate or distorting influence on the game, recruits or their families.
  • Nonscholastic basketball, with a focus on the appropriate involvement of college coaches and others.
  • Agents or advisors, with an emphasis on how students and their families can get legitimate advice without being taken advantage of, defrauded or risk their NCAA eligibility.
The NCAA’s relationship with the NBA, and the challenging effect the NBA’s so-called “one and done” rule has had on college basketball, including how the NCAA can change its own eligibility rules to address that dynamic.

Creating the right relationship between the universities and colleges of the NCAA and its national office to promote transparency and accountability. The commission will be asked to evaluate whether the appropriate degree of authority is vested in the current enforcement and eligibility processes, and whether the collaborative model provides the investigative tools, cultural incentives and structures to ensure exploitation and corruption cannot hide in college sports.
What the heck is nonscholastic basetball? I'm guessing they are going to codify UNC***'s practice as state of the art and then granddfather them in so they can get by without punishing UNC***.

Reactions: westerncat
The NBA doesn't answer to the NCAA, they'll just say no. What benefit is it to the NBA to give up their one year free preview of young talent?

I think it will be in the NBA's best interest to listen and work together on this issue. Especially, if they implement a 2 year commitment rule or something, which would basically make the NBA rule meaningless for college basketball players. But you're right, they answer to nobody, especially not the NCAA, so they can choose to ignore.

What the heck is nonscholastic basetball? I'm guessing they are going to codify UNC***'s practice as state of the art and then granddfather them in so they can get by without punishing UNC***.

AAU basketball is nonscholastic basketball since it is not associated with any High School, Prep School, or College.

Ahhhh YES!!! Perhaps the greatest of American traditions...Nothing like a good ole Commission to show everyone that you mean business. When things don't seem on the up-and-up, and the public outrage is overwhelming, we need to work hard to show people that we're working hard...."TV"-Teddy-Valentine-Syndrome as I like to call it. I wonder if this "Commission" will end up like other famous Commissions throughout history, and be shown nothing more than a bunch of pomp and circumstance without any altering substance....a la the Warren Commission or the 9/11 Commission?

Last edited:
Needs to be a commission with the NBA players association, not the NBA. The players want the ability to skip college and go pro. Not sure why the NBAPA won't let it happen.

The timing of this is interesting. They release this right before they are to release their report on the North Carolina findings. Something tells me the meeting they had with North Carolina in Nashville a few weeks ago was how can we just give North Carolina a slap on the wrist but still make it look like we are going to really buckle down. Hence this effort.

How about just cracking down on the existing rules and punishing those that break the rules? Maybe this isn't a problem that needs to be fixed, maybe it's just existing rules that need to have more teeth.

"Oh, I'm gonna dance a little side step and lead the people on. . . "

Best Little Whorehouse in Texas - Governor singing.

I smell a duck and cover move on the part of the NCAA.

Last edited:
Probably institute the rule most of our sissified rival fans (UL and IU) want :

Each player's scholarship counts against the maximum number of schollies allowed for 4 years even if the player leaves for the NBA.

Reduces the number of OADs and is totally focused on just one school - UK...which sounds about right. I can see Emmert getting a woody right now.

Last edited:
#1 point of discussion should be how do we allow players to profit from the same industry that is making everyone around them exceptionally wealthy.
Nobody making large sums of money off the backs of others ever voluntarily opts to share that money without being forced to do so. It is a major reason why the Civil War was fought and why we have unions today.
That is why greed is referenced in the Bible so frequently. It is an integral part of human nature.

Make an age rule? 20 years old.

It works with nfl/ college football
That would be an NBA rule, the post I was responding to was saying the NCAA should impose a commitment rule to keep players in college, like MLB and NFL.

The NCAA floated the idea of returning to freshmen ineligibility several months ago. I don't believe they were really serious, but wanted to gauge the NBA's reaction. Given the scandal they now face, I think they should probably move forward with a vote on the measure. Tell the NBA, "Fine. You don't want to play ball? You can figure out some other way to evaluate 19-year old talent because we're not going to showcase it for you any longer."

I'm old enough to remember when freshmen not playing varsity was a thing and college basketball was just fine.

If they did it for college football why not for basketball?
Because the NBA would have to go along with it, they have shown no interest in doing so so far.
You understand that the NBA is dictating this whole thing, right? The NCAA can't pass a rule that dictates when a player can leave and go to the NBA, only the NBA can do that.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
A commission, lol. Ok.

As a few of us said when the scandal broke, the hysteria was created for clicks and for the media's obsession with tearing all systems to the ground. This was about attacking amateurism for them, thats it.

The dark underbelly of college basketball and it's exploitative nature will be brought to it's knees"

This was about rule breaking within a private organization and federal offenses, it doesn't have anything to do with the crap pouring out of ESPN and the media. They will use anything within their power, even mislead, to promote the professionalization of college athletics.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
What if we offer them a free college education? In addition we can provide NBA hopefuls with a premium stage for NBA scouts to evaluate them. Most of their games will also be nationally televised giving them even more opportunities to be seen by the NBA.

We can also provide them with free room and board, free meal cards, exclusive access to tutors, and an elite staff of strength and conditioning trainers along with a HOF coach.

I think if we can give them all of that we might have an equal exchange of services.

Needs to be a commission with the NBA players association, not the NBA. The players want the ability to skip college and go pro. Not sure why the NBAPA won't let it happen.

Because that cheap younger labor pushes out existing veterans, who are actually represented by the NBAPA. The union doesn't represent the wishes of high school players, even though the agents that are already forming relationships with them are definitely pushing for it and DO have power with the union.

I'm still not buying this is some huge problem. Right now we have about five schools and a couple of Adidas reps that got caught doing something they should not. Maybe it is a huge problem but right now no one has produced any proof that it is. All we have is a bunch of talking heads and the guilty parties trying to make this into a giant issue to either create clicks/ratings or distract from the guilty parties.

Bingo! Should be easy enough to allow college athletes to profit from their own likeness. They should be allowed to be featured in paid advertising, sell autographs, and such. Even if the money they earn has to be put into escrow until the day they leave school.

What if we offer them a free college education? In addition we can provide NBA hopefuls with a premium stage for NBA scouts to evaluate them. Most of their games will also be nationally televised giving them even more opportunities to be seen by the NBA.

We can also provide them with free room and board, free meal cards, exclusive access to tutors, and an elite staff of strength and conditioning trainers along with a HOF coach.

I think if we can give them all of that we might have an equal exchange of services.

No, not even close to an equal exchange of services unfortunately.

The NCAA floated the idea of returning to freshmen ineligibility several months ago. I don't believe they were really serious, but wanted to gauge the NBA's reaction. Given the scandal they now face, I think they should probably move forward with a vote on the measure. Tell the NBA, "Fine. You don't want to play ball? You can figure out some other way to evaluate 19-year old talent because we're not going to showcase it for you any longer."

I'm old enough to remember when freshmen not playing varsity was a thing and college basketball was just fine.
I like that idea as a potential way to put pressure on the nba. Not sure how else you could possibly influence them (nba) in to doing what's best for the college game.

It's going to be hard for the NCAA to adopt a 2 or 3 year rule if the NBA isn't compliant with it themselves. Let me give you a scenario.

*NCAA has a 3 year rule
*NBA still has 1 year rule

Player: freshman season over! I'm going to the NBA!

NCAA: No you're not.

Player: and what will you do if I do?

NCAA: ...

Those that undermine the standards of our community. Does anyone do this more than UNC, well, other than UL? And yet, nothing will be done to them. It will all be about the "one and done" issue, when that is not the problem. Why will they focus on this? It is because they want to continue their agenda with Cal and UK. Yep, they are so upset with UNC, they are going to lower the boom on UK.

Bingo! Should be easy enough to allow college athletes to profit from their own likeness. They should be allowed to be featured in paid advertising, sell autographs, and such. Even if the money they earn has to be put into escrow until the day they leave school.

This makes the most sense. Allow them to earn income (maybe deferred) that doesn't require schools to pay them. The good players will make decent money and the others won't. This country still adopts a capitalist economy right?

This really feels like it is to give them cover for when the pull a gutless fail on punishing UNC-CHeats. When reporters hammer them the ready response will be, "Don't worry. This is one of the things we'll address at our Blue Ribbon Commission meeting."

I like that idea as a potential way to put pressure on the nba. Not sure how else you could possibly influence them (nba) in to doing what's best for the college game.

Freshmen ineligibility made no sense way back when and makes even less sense now.

What is the reasoning for this?

Punish thousands of kids because a few of the top kids are receiving benefits or going pro early?

Absolutely awful idea. So the NBA keeps the OAD, freshmen are ineligible - superstars go to school sit out as freshmen, leave at end of the school year for the NBA without ever playing for the school who paid for their free year.

Because that cheap younger labor pushes out existing veterans, who are actually represented by the NBAPA. The union doesn't represent the wishes of high school players, even though the agents that are already forming relationships with them are definitely pushing for it and DO have power with the union.

Do you favor professionalization?

ADVERTISEMENT