ADVERTISEMENT

NBC can't stop screwing up in their Olympics coverage

SilentsAreGolden

All-American
Dec 12, 2007
I was watching the ladies Super G event last night, and this one skier was in first place with a bunch of people left, but NBC proclaimed her the Gold Medal winner because the rest of the field had no chance according to geniuses Dan Hicks and Bode Miller.

They switched to another event, and lo and behold some Czech skier, who nobody thought had a shot won by .1 of a second. And she had 2 big mistakes on her run. NBC didn't even immediately admit their error and switch back. Just horrendous handling by NBC of these Olympics.

https://screengrabber.deadspin.com/how-nbc-flubbed-its-super-g-coverage-reported-the-wron-1823104438

There's actually an Olympic thread on the Paddock if you want to join in on the discussion we are having there.

I don't even think they have video of her entire run. Only clips I can find are near the end. Pity.

The worst thing is their announcers consistently mispronounce the name of the city PyeongChang. I find that rather disrespectful and lazy. They pronounce as if it was an English word. I don’t expect them to learn the Korean language but geez.

When does Phelps swim?

54d0e24eecad04ab178f9523-640-481.jpg

NBC is making it almost impossible to watch. With all the time the TV personalities have to get their air time, and the endless commercials, and the endless profiles that nobody gives a shit about, you get very little action to watch.

I think everyone should watch this short informational video on the pronunciation. After all, you'll be yelling this out during Jeopardy! through the new millennium.

It's funny.... I chuckle at curling but can't seem to change the channel when it's on.
I agree. Strangely it's the most fascinating event. I'm not really sure why but I can watch it for hours.

Reactions: Ugoff
Got to turn over to PMSNBC to get the real story .. they shoot straight over there . Straight from the looney bin .

Reactions: Ugoff
I don't even think they have video of her entire run. Only clips I can find are near the end. Pity.

I watched the whole run live on the secondary channel

Pretty amazing, a true underdog... girl didn't even realize she won for like 45 seconds after the fact.

Yes. They focus on a homosexual skater who finished 10th a lot because why?
Journalists are so unbelievably arrogant and wrong it us laughable.
Because he refused to meet with Vice President Pence at the start of the games and that refusal became a national storyline. That story brought him as much notoriety as any other winter USA Olympian besides Shawn White. They show the people they think will bring the best ratings %.

Because he refused to meet with Vice President Pence at the start of the games and that refusal became a national storyline. That story brought him as much notoriety as any other winter USA Olympian besides Shawn White. They show the people they think will bring the best ratings %.
I think they show people who best push their agenda. Kinda like 7th round NFL draft pick Sam.

Reactions: dezyDeco and catben
Every post-event interview I've seen consists of the athlete simply being asked some variation of "how does it feel to...:" over and over and over and over.....

Y'all seriously can't think of any other questions?

I watched the whole run live on the secondary channel

Pretty amazing, a true underdog... girl didn't even realize she won for like 45 seconds after the fact.

Do you know if there is a clip of the run somewhere? Never mind, I found on nbc's site. Unfortunately, it is Hicks and Miller commenting on it after they knew she won. Was the original coverage not accompanied by announcer's commentary?

Last edited:
Every post-event interview I've seen consists of the athlete simply being asked some variation of "how does it feel to...:" over and over and over and over.....

Y'all seriously can't think of any other questions?

I hate that question. How does it feel to win your first Oscar? I wonder.

Do you know if there is a clip of the run somewhere? Never mind, I found on nbc's site. Unfortunately, it is Hicks and Miller commenting on it after they knew she won. Was the original coverage not accompanied by announcer's commentary?

Yes, pretty good commentary. They talked about her different style than every other contestant .. towards the end they predicted she wouldntskr s path no one else has.. it did the trick

Unfortunately I don't know where to find a clip.

Yes, pretty good commentary. They talked about her different style than every other contestant .. towards the end they predicted she wouldntskr s path no one else has.. it did the trick

Unfortunately I don't know where to find a clip.

Found a clip of the Czech announcers calling her run. I have a decent fluency in Czech, so I understood a good bit of what they were saying. Pretty cool.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/czech-announcers-have-awesome-call-ester-ledeckas-win

I was watching the ladies Super G event last night, and this one skier was in first place with a bunch of people left, but NBC proclaimed her the Gold Medal winner because the rest of the field had no chance according to geniuses Dan Hicks and Bode Miller.

They switched to another event, and lo and behold some Czech skier, who nobody thought had a shot won by .1 of a second. And she had 2 big mistakes on her run. NBC didn't even immediately admit their error and switch back. Just horrendous handling by NBC of these Olympics.

https://screengrabber.deadspin.com/how-nbc-flubbed-its-super-g-coverage-reported-the-wron-1823104438

I think they do full coverage of this event on "The G Spot." Though It may be hard to find.

I thought the Shaun White gold medal half pipe run was poorly handled and anticlimactic. There was basically no audio from the time his run ended until score was announced. It was weird.

Reactions: JFCats22
ADVERTISEMENT