ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Draft Thread

DraftCat

Senior
Nov 5, 2011
As the off season ends I would like to welcome another season of NBA team building. Me and I believe Gonzo have ran this for the last 3-5 years. @GonzoCat90 if you want to help run this season let me know but I was gonna ask for the first 15 people including myself that wants to join to say "I'm joining" in this thread.

My expectation for team building is making a contender with the current crop of NBA players for the next 1-5 years. As usual the winner will be voted on by the community. The draft will be selected by random by me or @GonzoCat90 we will select up to 10 players. After that you will make the case why your team is best in position to win a title now or in the future.

Message below if you want to join.

1. @UKNorse
2. @catsfan3523
3. @GonzoCat90
4. @gossie21
5. @FrankUnderwood
6. @Rupp'sRunt
7. @quest4#9
8. @drcats2013
9. @Catzman
10. @usinfantrycat85
11. @bbn93

Last edited:
Think I'll pass this year and just heckle everyone else. Tough to get over my runner up last year. Some wounds run deep.

Think I came all the way from an 8 seed to lose in the championship. I know exactly how Julius Randle feels.

I'm in. I need to regroup and put a better team together this year. Picking at the end of the draft was difficult last year.

Me, Catsfan, Gonzo, Gossie, Frank that makes 5 so far need at least 10 to start

Can someone give me a quick cliffs notes? lol I've always been interested in this stuff (NFL fantasy, NBA draft fantasy etc etc ) just never got around to doing it.

Idk if we can send PM's here ? Feel free to hit me up on twitter (basically just use it for sports and to troll MSM lol)

Think I'll pass this year and just heckle everyone else. Tough to get over my runner up last year. Some wounds run deep.

Think I came all the way from an 8 seed to lose in the championship. I know exactly how Julius Randle feels.
This is how I feel as well.

Reactions: Aike
RuppsRunt is #6 need 4 more. @FrankUnderwood Not sure what else you need to know its usually a 8-10 round draft serpentine style 1-10 10-1 then you build a team you think would compete for a championship for the next 3-5 years.

Usually you have 8 hours to make your pick then you are skipped and the next person will go. You will be able to pick once you get back on.

At the end of the draft you will be placed in a bracket and be voted on by this board against another user. You will need to write a paragraph stating why your team would win that matchup.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
RuppsRunt is #6 need 4 more. @FrankUnderwood Not sure what else you need to know its usually a 8-10 round draft serpentine style 1-10 10-1 then you build a team you think would compete for a championship for the next 3-5 years.

Usually you have 8 hours to make your pick then you are skipped and the next person will go. You will be able to pick once you get back on.

At the end of the draft you will be placed in a bracket and be voted on by this board against another user. You will need to write a paragraph stating why your team would win that matchup.

Think I'm following - ok so like we each get our pick of who we want on our team based on the participants in the upcoming draft ?

(Sorry if I seem daft lol)

No you are selecting from the pool of current NBA players Lebron, Durant ect.

Well shit , - my apologies
For
Misunderstanding I was way TF off lol- ok that makes sense.
Now, is there like an "order" in which people are allowed to choose ?
For example

1) John
2) Jim
3) Jeff
4) sally
5) susan

Etc etc

Well shit , - my apologies
For
Misunderstanding I was way TF off lol- ok that makes sense.
Now, is there like an "order" in which people are allowed to choose ?
For example

1) John
2) Jim
3) Jeff
4) sally
5) susan

Etc etc
Yes. Usually the draft order is set after all the teams join.

It's a serpentine style draft so whoever picks 10th starts the 2nd round and then you go in that order until you get back to 1.

Id love to but i have 0 idea on how this works. Always wanted to try lol.

Id love to but i have 0 idea on how this works. Always wanted to try lol.

Basically, you get to be an NBA GM, draft your team from scratch and argue for your players/team and against the competition.

We've seen lots of different approaches the last several years, and of course a lot depends on your draft spot.

I couldn't tell you who has won a single one of them, but it's a fun way to kill a couple weeks in the summer.

Reactions: Catzman
Basically, you get to be an NBA GM, draft your team from scratch and argue for your players/team and against the competition.

We've seen lots of different approaches the last several years, and of course a lot depends on your draft spot.

I couldn't tell you who has won a single one of them, but it's a fun way to kill a couple weeks in the summer.

Sounds fun. If its still an option im game.

usinfantry and bbn93 + catzman is 9, 10, 11 we will shoot for 1 more. I get off work at 6 est. If we get more interested than 12 then ill just stop at 14, 16 ect.

Ill close at 6:30ish then we can began the draft process.

I wouldn't limit us to even numbers of teams. We should just go with the amount of people who sign up. We usually have a few people drop out during the drafting anyways. And 12 or 14 wouldn't really get us to an even bracket at the end of the draft. So we would have to do "byes" or a consolation bracket or something to get us to a final 8 teams.

Still time to sign up. I'll be home around 6:30 closing the draft at 7:00 EST.

I'm going to give it till 9 est. to get 1 more person for 12 people. Then I'll randomize the draft order and start the draft.

I'll make a new thread to start the draft. Usually I do a new thread every 2 rounds.

I'll do it. Probably gonna suck, but I'm a back to back reigning champ of my fantasy football league, so I'll give it a try.

Feel like we should set some specific draft rules for anyone who hasn't done this before.

Need a clear objective, how many rounds, how the winner will be determined.

Feel like we should set some specific draft rules for anyone who hasn't done this before.

Need a clear objective, how many rounds, how the winner will be determined.
Agreed, last years winner was determined by who had the most UK Players

@GonzoCat90 if you want to start making the rules go ahead we got 12 people now. I had something come up that I have to do for the next 1 1/2 hour but Ill be back lets agree on the rules first :)

In the past we've used "team you would most like to be a fan of for the next five years" because I thought that provided flexibility for people to build win now teams and young, high potential teams equally.

What it seems to have done is make posters here vote for the team with the most Cats and vote against guys they don't like. Tyler Ulis shouldn't carry more voting weight than Russell Westbrook, but he did.

How would you guys feel about the criteria being which team is best equipped to win the most championships over the next 7 years? Is 7 too much? Five feels a bit too short to me but 10 is clearly too long.

I would also suggest at least 11 rounds, with 12-13 being better. With just a dozen teams, there are plenty of quality, difference making players available in round 13.

12 hours per pick with a running clock or 8 hour clock that stops from midnight to 6 eastern?

If someone vanishes they have until their next pick to show back up. If you miss two picks you're gone and any players taken are just removed from the draft/consideration.

Random draft order. Serpentine style.

Random matchup order. If anyone drops out and we have an uneven number we'll put it to a poll to see who gets a first round bye.

ADVERTISEMENT